The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Jackal 08-26-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddie (Post 1381169)
Not to be disrespectful, and I think I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but this thread is all about how to build a UDS, not a BDS with doors, water pans, etc. etc. etc.! I would suggest you start a new thread on how to do your drum project. If you want to build a UDS read all of the thread, it's K.I.S.S., you can build the best drum smoker for less than a $100. Just my 002 pennies!

Guess I should have used a ZEP barrel with PVC intake instead of going all crazy with the stainless hardware eh?. :laugh: Is there an oversized "BDS" thread somewhere?

colonel00 08-26-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover24 (Post 1381370)
Hilarious! I'll go with your and Smiter Q's recommendations and try to find a safer way to get rid of the Oleander. Looks like it'll be pallets, oak and apple for my burnout. Again, all old stuff my pop has lying around his property.

Yikes! :shocked:

Use pallets, that is fine but save the oak and apple for smoking. If you have that much that it is a burden on you, send some this way.

Rodney 08-26-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energyzer (Post 1381381)
Awesome tips Rodney and Devious, Thanks for the help. One question, why the exhaust stack in stead of just putting a plate on the hole. What does the stack get you?

Glad I could help!

I don't know if there's an advantage to having a chimney or not, in terms of airflow, etc... I've found it makes a nice, sturdy handle for the lid! I'd much rather grab an 8" piece of pipe than a little handle... it's much easier to flip/move/manhandle the lid with one hand this way. Also, the exhaust doesn't need to be throttled during use, so you don't need an adjustable damper... Just a cap. The pipe nipple chimney with pipe cap just seemed like a good idea, all of this taken into account.

-r

1FUNVET 08-26-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energyzer (Post 1381381)
Awesome tips Rodney and Devious, Thanks for the help. One question, why the exhaust stack in stead of just putting a plate on the hole. What does the stack get you?

Looks kooler :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mark 08-26-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal (Post 1380377)
Thanks...I think the door is a must, but I should have at least addressed the gap between the hinges. If I ever make it through this insanely monstrous thread, I might find some ideas.

You definitely need a door to feed the rig if you're going all wood.
Mine's only large enough to feed chunks. I addressed gaps with a combination of red (high-temp) silicone and aluminum molding.

stl-rich 08-26-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1FUNVET (Post 1381579)
Looks kooler :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thats all the reason I need!!:thumb:

Is one 2" dia tail pipe sufficient?

1FUNVET 08-26-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl-rich (Post 1381611)

Yep. In fact i used PVC for mine and painted it purple to match my purple and yellow drum. Geaux LSU :clap2::clap2:

And you can use the top off a can of spray paint as a cover when UDS is not in use.

Dr_KY 08-26-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl-rich (Post 1381611)

Yes and stainless would be a bonus. :D

chaddie 08-26-2010 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=Jackal;1381513]Guess I should have used a ZEP barrel with PVC intake instead of going all crazy with the stainless hardware eh?. :laugh: Is there an oversized "BDS" thread somewhere?

My most humble apologizes. :shocked: I didn't mean to put your build down. I was just kinda sayin the simple uds method really works very well! :becky:

stl-rich 08-26-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal (Post 1381513)
Guess I should have used a ZEP barrel with PVC intake instead of going all crazy with the stainless hardware eh?. :laugh: Is there an oversized "BDS" thread somewhere?

Yo Jackal, I am building a Whiskey Drum Smoker, which sure ain't ugly :icon_blush: but I am posting to this thread.

Do what you think is right :mod:

WesternBell 08-27-2010 07:40 AM

Turkey therm mod

colonel00 08-27-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternBell (Post 1382736)
Turkey therm mod

I am going to use turkey thermometers on my next build. However, for the life of me I cannot find the post or reference to the little inlet things that people use to insert the thermometer through. Does anyone remember what they are called or what to look for at the hardware store?

IrregularPulse 08-27-2010 08:50 AM

I'm using a seal drum for my build. I cut the top off inside the rim. I may have access to the lid from an open top with the clamp ring. Will this fit since my drum still has the rolled edge on top?

And No, I'm not reading back through 440 pages again to find the answer when someone can possibly fire off the answer quickly.

Southern Home Boy 08-27-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 1381581)
You definitely need a door to feed the rig if you're going all wood.
Mine's only large enough to feed chunks. I addressed gaps with a combination of red (high-temp) silicone and aluminum molding.

Hey Mark... that black barrel ring looks familiar... How's it workin' for ya?

Mark 08-27-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy (Post 1383018)
Hey Mark... that black barrel ring looks familiar... How's it workin' for ya?

It works two ways. 1 is to "stretch" the capacity from 2 to 4 grill grates and 2 is for a rotisserie ring.