The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Kenny 13 03-30-2008 03:54 PM

Well I'm giving the UDS another shot here, but this time with food. Got a fatty and 4.5# of chicken wings going over briquettes and some apple wood chunks. This time just poured 1/2 chimney of lit coals over the unlit rather than worrying about making a cavity in the center.

I've noticed so far and I don't know if its because of drippings hitting the coals or just because I poured the lit over the unlit, but I'm getting higher temps with fewer vents open. Hope to have some pics to post later (if I can figure out how :lol:).

Dr_KY 03-30-2008 04:05 PM

Keep after it man and try not to open the lid as this will help keep the temos under control. How wide is your fire basket?

Thawley 03-30-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny 13 (Post 602005)
This time just poured 1/2 chimney of lit coals over the unlit rather than worrying about making a cavity in the center.

Yeah, I just dump the lit coals evenly over the top of the fire basket. I dump them fully lighted and grey... Never had a flame out unless I deliberately close the vents.

hcarter 03-30-2008 04:19 PM

This seems like a good thread for a sticky. What about it mods? Is is too long?

Kenny 13 03-30-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 602010)
Keep after it man and try not to open the lid as this will help keep the temos under control. How wide is your fire basket?

My charcoal basket is 16" diameter and 8" deep. Going well so far - about 45 minutes into the cook the drum is holding in the 240* - 245* range with only my 1/2" ball valve barely cracked open and exhaust (webber kettle lid) wide open.

Dr_KY 03-30-2008 05:14 PM

Perfect! Enjoy the trouble free smokin.:mrgreen:

Kenny 13 03-30-2008 05:17 PM

Still going great! Drum temp has been up and down between 239* & 246* with no adjustments. I'm 1-1/2 hours into the cook and still only have my 1/2" ball valve just barely cracked open and exhaust wide open - sitting on 246* with the fatty at 143*.

jgh1204 03-30-2008 05:31 PM

hcarter, the thread is roadmapped. Got the UDS going today with loin ribs, boneless butts and fatties.

hcarter 03-30-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh1204 (Post 602079)
hcarter, the thread is roadmapped. Got the UDS going today with loin ribs, boneless butts and fatties.

I am jealous. I didn't get to do anything had to work third shift Sat night/Sun morning. Just too tired. Smoke on Brother.

michiana mark 03-31-2008 10:39 AM

Man, I can't believe I read the whole thread. (not in one sitting) Have acquired 2 drums, with lids, and have started acquiring parts and pieces. Will start build soon.

Kenny 13 03-31-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiana mark (Post 602567)
Man, I can't believe I read the whole thread. (not in one sitting) Have acquired 2 drums, with lids, and have started acquiring parts and pieces. Will start build soon.

I know what you mean, that's a lot of reading :lol:

Good luck on the build. This thread certainly has a lot of info to get you through it. It's helped me a lot - finally think I got mine working how I want it.

elyhill 04-01-2008 06:21 PM

Has anyone tried useing a 30 gallon drum, I don't really need the capacity of a full size drum. just wondering still looking for anysize anyway.

Dr_KY 04-01-2008 07:01 PM

Smaller drums work just as well and I started out telling myself I didn't need the capacity but all that changed. lol

Mokin Bandit 04-01-2008 08:54 PM

I want lots of capacity. Main reason I am building my UDS. I am running into the problem of 2 grates. I have read that from the fire grate to the first cooking grate should be 24" correct? If i go up 7" that puts me at the top. I have a weber kettle lid so that gives me another 6" for food. Is this enough do you think? I have never considered the size of a large butt... As in thickness.

I am considering throwing something in to control the direct heat a little. How do you guys feel about doing this?

SmokeWatcher 04-01-2008 10:47 PM

I use a Weber lid too. The first grate is 1" below the lip, and the other is 6" below that. That places it at less than 24" from the fire....like 21" or so....but it still works well. I normally don't use the lower grate unless I need extra space or head-room.

Barbarian 04-02-2008 01:34 AM

My top grate is 1" below the lip and my lower grate is 6" below the top grate which puts it 23" above the charcoal grate. I built two different lids from donor drums. One for my UDS which is 10" tall and the other for my UDG which is 6" like the weber lids are. I don't know what you could cook that is taller then the 10" lid. The most I have tried is 4 butts and there was plenty of room for one more on each grate and maybe two more.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 04-03-2008 01:36 AM

Another Addicted Brother Gives in to Start His First Build

Brethren,

For days now I have coveted they neighbors grill, as I have read this thread. Lusting over the gleaming chrome and stainless steel, I read and reread making note of measurements and ideas. Like some future olympian I learned from the best as saw them compete in the pursuit of the best smoked foods and smoker to cook it upon. The UDS gods seem to call to me, make me and I will deliver the best foods you ever made, give me your beef , pork and poultry and I will deliver you a wealth of goodness.

Smoking stars like , Norcoredneck, Big Mista , Thom Emery, JW, thirdeye,N8man, Bottles 'n Bones, Thawley, Meat Burner, Brian in So Cal, ipls3355, Scudrunr, Dr_KY, and many many others, have giving so much help in information to the masses so that even the most project challenged of us can be assured success in building our very own UDS The pictures, suggestions and advice are tremendous.

I of course have been bitten by the bug to build one, slowing gathering the parts and locating the drum are in the works. I will have to find a place for the burn out, since I’m in the same predicament as Big Mista was originally. I have a few questions that I didn’t find answers to;

How much is the volume of ash left over from burning 10 to 13 lbs of kingfords?

I have seen many burn out pictures and descriptions, but no mention if the lid, how are you burning off the lid , or do you burn it?

Last question, Beer can chicken, how tall is it ( my store bought holder and a 5lb bird is nearly 11 inches) is that average? And besides a turkey what else is the tallest meat I need to consider for grill spacing .

Thanks again for such an informative thread and my new addiction.

Hook Line and Sinker

Barbarian 04-03-2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker (Post 604867)
Last question, Beer can chicken, how tall is it ( my store bought holder and a 5lb bird is nearly 11 inches) is that average? And besides a turkey what else is the tallest meat I need to consider for grill spacing .

Hook Line and Sinker

Not sure what is the tallest but my UDS in the photo has a 10" lid and the lower grate is 7" below the top of the drum so I got 17" which should be plenty. Even with my UDG 6" lid I would have 13" to the bottom grate.

Dr_KY 04-03-2008 04:51 AM

It's going to depend on what you are using for fuel but I never get more than a manageable amount of ash but I usually only burn about five pounds or so.

As for the lid I remove the bung holes ( they have a rubber gasket on them) and add it to the blazing fire propped up with some of the burning timber. Others use chemical strippers, weed burners etc.

A few pictures..

http://i28.tinypic.com/25jz76v.jpg

Notice I have holes in the ash pan so that it helps to breath and has a complete burn...

http://i28.tinypic.com/2i0pw0l.jpg

In the drum...

http://i32.tinypic.com/34sm6ar.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/29w09eb.jpg

Dr_KY 04-03-2008 05:22 AM

Although I get a nice cook out of this setup I will soon be building a wider fire ring ( aprx 18 '')so that I have less cleanup from the juices dripping on to the bottom of the drum. I do not weld so everything is a 'bolt together' unless I have someone at work do it for me.

I like the smaller one because if it's too hot in one section of the grill I can just stick a wire into an open hole and move it over, that's why you see two rings of ash in the above pictures.
http://i32.tinypic.com/2m77nrb.jpg

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 04-03-2008 06:10 AM

I anticipate using a charcoal grate from a Weber 22.5" charcoal grill which measures 16-1/2 inches in diameter as the backbone to a charcoal basket with the grill part hog ringed to expanded metal "ring" . A convenient height for the expanded metal ring would be 12 inches high and if the expected volume of ash from burning charcoal briquets would easily fit under 2 inches I would suspend the grate at 2 inches. That would also facilitate me using a 17 in diameter by 1.5 inch ash pan below it all. I figure that if I use 4 or more bolts from below the ash catching pan then jam nut and washer the charcoal holding grate at 2 inches above the ash holding pan for added support to the expanded metal ring, that I would have a over all height of 2 1/4 inches as the starting point to measure up for the first cooking grate. So that the cooking grate would sith at 26 1/4 inches from the bottom of the drum. With the general concusses being that the inlet holes are made at 1.5 to 2 inches from the bottom of the drum my proposed ash pan would below the air inlets and give good airflow directly to the bottom of charcoal basket. But I would like to skip the research and development part of trying it first to see if it would catch most if not all the ash from a large load / long smoke
so will 340 cubic inches hold the ash ? That’s if I did the math right V = 1.5 x 3.14159 x (8.5 x 8.5)

Dr_KY 04-03-2008 06:34 AM

http://i30.tinypic.com/zvq1ie.jpg
...I like Jello.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 04-03-2008 07:52 AM

volume of ash produced by Kingsford

OK I think with the help of google I found the volume of ash produced by Kingsford - I figure if it can hold that any lump or better fuel would be a snap

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kvsk/oldkingsfordnew.htm

What About Ash Production?
The Test: Kingsford doesn't make any claims about the volume of ash produced by these two types of briquettes that we can see, but part of our regular testing of lump charcoal is to measure the volume of ash produced. This can be important in some types of cookers because the ash can block air vents and affect the fire. Basically, after the burntime time test is finished, we open the lid of the cooker and let all the charcoal burn to ash. Once it is cooled, we measure the volume of ash in a graduated vessel.
The Results: 3 pounds of the old briquettes produced 850 ml of ash, while the new briquettes produced 875 ml of ash.
Conclusion: This test only reaffirms that both the old and new briquettes produce an appalling quantity of ash.

So 12 Lbs would produce 3500 milliliter = 213.59 cubic inches of ash

Barbarian 04-03-2008 11:43 AM

HL&S
I would give a bit more room for the ash to help with airflow to the fire. My basket is 10" tall with the 16" charcoal grate and it can hold 15 lbs of charcoal easily. The pic of the ash is the leftover from a 10 hour brisket two days ago. I had about 10 lbs of charcoal and it did not burn 40% of that.

For the ash pan I took the bottom of the drum I cut out and made it 18" in diameter. Welded a band around it for the sides of the ash pan. So it catches almost all of the dripping and is real easy to clean out.

jeffjenkins1 04-03-2008 12:08 PM

OK, how come no one told me that if your fat, when you lay the drum on it's side and reach inside the drum to put the nuts on the firebox support bolts at the bottom, you will block all the light?!!?

That said, I will have pics this weekend.

Only thing left is the holes for the lid and the cooking grill. Then put in the support bolts for the cooking grill and I'm smokin'.

Jeff

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 04-03-2008 02:11 PM

Thanks Dr_KY and Barbarian ,

the pics really help and I can see by Barbarian's left over ash that I needed to consider the bits of charcoal that will fall through as well thats the basket and ash pan design I had in mind.

every time I see Barbarian and Nocoredneck upsidedown setup I really "jones" to build mine that way and considering jeffjenkens post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffjenkins1
OK, how come no one told me that if your fat, when you lay the drum on it's side and reach inside the drum to put the nuts on the firebox support bolts at the bottom, you will block all the light?!!?

odds are that I will have a hard time getting to the bottom of things as well

Hook Line and Sinker

Dr_KY 04-03-2008 05:47 PM

Don't you guys watch football? lol

http://media.mnginteractive.com/medi...0905barrel.jpg

OSD 04-03-2008 05:52 PM

I made my basket 14" square with a 1/1/2" ash pan then a 2" air space then a 5" deep basket on top. I also made a 10" dia X 8" tall basket to set inside the main basket for shorter cooks like with chicken or ribs. I also added a folding handle to make it easier to get the basket in or out.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...0421Medium.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...0418Medium.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j..._0496Small.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j..._0501Small.jpg

Dr_KY 04-03-2008 05:57 PM

Man you guys are so creative I just used a stainless dog water bowl. I need to learn how to weld.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 04-03-2008 09:02 PM

OK I'm started on the gathering.
I scored a 13 in X 92 in peace of 3/4 in expanded metal and a 2 in X 92 inch length of 1/8 flat stock. that should be enough for the main basket and a smaller inner one too.

I stooped by the local drum re-conditioners and found that if you call and mention it's for a BBQ they think you mean horizontal, even if you mention otherwise. So "no we don't have any" to "will this work" was the change i wanted to hear ... Good news they have a fair number. I will pick one up Saturday. I am still tempted to go upside-down - they offered to take the bottom off a tight head drum which has the amber coating (I'm still with out a burn site ) or they said several of their closed drums have no inside coating and they would take both ends off, they have caps and rings that fit the bottoms / ends, albeit a bit loosely it seemed. What wisdom can anyone shed on this choice

I do have a MC size gas torch set but I used it only to do Air conditioning work - no welding - so I'm expecting to go bolt together all the way

HOW much noise does that harbor freight grass torch make ? these town houses are piled high and deep here - Will the Fire Dept be on the way if I fire up that torch?

perhaps I should bring a few buds (weiser) to the drum place to barter a burn out

Hook Line and Sinker

ipls3355 04-03-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker (Post 605418)
HOW much noise does that harbor freight grass torch make ?

It sounds a little bit like a jet engine:lol: You will draw a croud using it. There is also a considerable smell of burning paint. I wouldn't recomend doing it in a residential neighborhood, but I know others have.

Barbarian 04-04-2008 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffjenkins1 (Post 605112)

That said, I will have pics this weekend.

Only thing left is the holes for the lid and the cooking grill. Then put in the support bolts for the cooking grill and I'm smokin'.

Jeff

Well if you cut to bottom of the drum out like I did you don't have to crawl inside the drum. You also don't have to crawl inside to clean it out either, just pick it up and move it to the side.

Barbarian 04-04-2008 12:58 AM

Man OSD I wish I could weld like that!!!!!
There are several mods I want to do but the lack or welding skills and welder hold me back.

JediDog 04-04-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 605323)

:lol: funny stuff.. Is this guy's name , Bronco Billy?

papalion 04-05-2008 11:33 AM

DRUM smoker LID

Are there any grill lids that will fit a drum besides a Weber?

milehigh 04-05-2008 11:41 AM

I think a lot of the Weber knockoffs like charbroil, sears, etc will work .

McClung 04-05-2008 08:00 PM

My wife wants to know if it's his BBQ kilt! She just doesn't appreciate my kilts!

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 04-06-2008 03:17 AM

Those are BBQ gloves aren't they! I'm certain he cooks in that!

papalion 04-06-2008 06:19 PM

I have been looking for a Weber kettle lid for my drum smoker with no luck. But I can buy a whole weber grill for $40 and 90 miles away. Is this a deal or should I pass:?::roll:

Dr_KY 04-06-2008 06:21 PM

Have them mail it to you.

jgh1204 04-06-2008 11:27 PM

If you can get a 22" weber kettle for $40, buy it(depending on condition). I am assuming that is used?

SmokeWatcher 04-06-2008 11:32 PM

Let's see if we can get this thread over 1000 posts!!!

jgh1204 04-06-2008 11:53 PM

Can I have the 1000th?

Barbarian 04-07-2008 12:08 AM

Don't know what your drum cost you, but I like the idea of being a total drumhead.

Here is a pic of the lid for my UDG it is 6" tall. My UDS lid is a bit taller at 10", but it was my first try and I don't think it has to be that tall. For the UDG lid I used the top 6" of a closed drum and the lid of an open head drum.

I took a saws-all and using the guide cut the center out of the lid then welded it to the 6" top of the donor drum. I have some finish welding to get done but went ahead and painted most of it. It fits real nice since it is the lid from a drum to start with. I plan on doing the same with my UDS lid, cutting it a bit shorter and welding to a donor lid.

Gotta love the look!!!!!

Bbq Bubba 04-07-2008 08:00 AM

It must be early for i don't have a clue what you did there.....more pics please !

Kevin Garceau 04-07-2008 06:43 PM

As for the up pipe....any issues with using a new piece of exhaust pipe?

And I see everyone has the up pipe off to the side on a flat top? Im not sure where Im going flat top or use the weber top for it.

McClung 04-07-2008 09:14 PM

I stuck my exhaust in the middle and went with two handles.

Barbarian 04-08-2008 02:07 AM

Bubba, I hope these photos help. The lid is made of the top 6" of a donor drum welded to the flat lid from another drum.

The first three pics are of a lid with the cutout circle another lid on top of it.
The top two show the blue cutout sitting on the white top of a lid.

In the second pic imagine that the blue circle is the cutout area leaving a white ring.

The third one is of the lids turned over, you can see the remains of the gasket that I have not cleaned off yet.

The last two are of the all but painted and a bit of welding finished lid. I hope you can see the 6" part fit inside the curved edge of the other lid.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 04-08-2008 02:31 AM

OK I got my Drum - I opted for the Closed Drum and had both ends deheaded and two lids and the remnants from the deheading - past contents Grain Alcohol might add a bit of luck to the drum. No lining or interior paint. I got the Webber replacement grills and have run the charcoal basket through the break , its an octagonal basket with top dimension of @ 16 Dia and slops to a @ 12 octagonal base , 10 inches high - pic's to come

all I need to get is the stainless hardware , bolts and washers and such.

the exterior paint is clean and new.

Will the drum still need a high temp burn off?
or just the painted lids?

Saw a previous post regarding high heat paint colors , search for Duplicolor engine enamel / high heat paint - they have over 20 colors and available at many auto parts places and Wally world

anyways shooting for a initial run by this weekend if all goes well

Hook Line and Sinker

swamprb 04-08-2008 04:45 AM

All I can say is BDS clones rule! Post 1000!