Pit Boss Austin XL

Brandond86

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
First time post

I received the PIt Boss Austin XL as an early Father's day present (because i had to pick it up).

The pellet smoker/grill has a digital display:
1.) reads what temp you have the unit set to
2.) reads what actual temp is at the very moment.

It has 2 probe connections, as well as a standard dial thermometer on the lid.

I noticed when using it for the first time, if can set the temperature at 350( to do burn in/out) the dial thermometer gets well over 500 degrees, has anyone else noticed this on the pellet smokers?

Also i thought i would try one of the probes to see which one is off, the probe read about 100 degrees higher than the display showed on the pellet box.

Which temp would be the one to trust?

Otherwise made some wonderful steaks, and grilled veggies last night.

Where are the two probes located?

I haven´t looked at one so I dont know. I have seen temp spikes in mine that get higher than the set temp when you heat up at first. It may depend on if I leave the door open too long when preheating?

If the probes are in different spots, then the temperature may be different on each. I know that top rack to bottom rack, the temp is different by 25 to 30 in mine. If they are on opposite ends, I can see that the temperature on the opposite side of the fan, may get hotter, because the air flow may be going more in that direction, so that probe is reading hotter than the one on the end with the fan.

I bought the Austin XL a few weeks ago and I noticed this as well. But on mine, the temps settle much closer to even after a little time preheating.

The big spike comes when the pellets are in flames. Once at temp and holding, you'll see the lid temps come down and settle. Give it a try next time and report back!

Back