The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Norcoredneck 09-24-2009 06:58 AM

Chiny

Rich Parker 09-24-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksmoker1 (Post 1034541)
foil working, dropped to 240. I think we have our culprit! My old char griller was laughing at me, but who's laughing now?!

Do you have smoke coming out of your air intakes? If you do than the lid is probably the culprit but if not it is mostly likely the mistake of you putting in too many lit briquettes on top of the pile. Don't worry about getting it perfect on the first use, because everything takes time to get used to.

Enjoy your drum.

Norcoredneck 09-24-2009 07:53 AM

Seen this on the web.
http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images...el-smoker2.jpg

h20loo 09-24-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietOne (Post 1034534)
My first post so please be gentle. I'm only to post # 2371, page # 159 by my monitor.

I'm convinced to build a UDS. Finding the drum is the thing of course. I'm at the end of the road in the NWT Canada. I've located reconditioned drums in Calgary Alberta, unpainted or lined, for a fair amount then shipping to here is another 132$. Total cost is about 250$ + or - a bit.

I can get fuel barrels here in town for next to nothing. Diesel fuel or gas of various types. If I were to do a "night glow" on a drum for a few hours (where the metal is so hot it glows like a hot air balloon fired up at night) and do that say Friday night and Saturday night and brush it out with a coil on Sunday. Would that be sufficient and safe for cooking on?

The next question is temperatures here are ... well it's winter 8 months of the year. How well will a UDS handle -40C? H20loo has already given me some advice with his blanket thermalshield wrap and one heck of an idea for a major build down the road, but any advice on using a UDS in -30C to -45C weather would be appreciated.

I grill now all year round. Charcoal or LPG and I've done smoked ribs etc down to -30C in a kettle over 6 hours, hard as hell to maintain temperatures but it is doable. So can I get the UDS hot enough to overcome -40 for 8 hours? Consistency is the key. Don't lift the LID.

Probably only a handful of people on here who have any idea what -40C or -40F feels like and fewer that have cooked in it. I haven't!! Talk You will have no problem tho if you shelter your barrel from wind and wrap it so its not losing all your heat thru the thin sheet metal. I would forgo a weber lid as you may have more trouble with loss of heat than the benefit of additional cooking space.

So Northern Lights really isn't atmospheric conditions but rather its you northern guys just messin' with fuel barrels and "night glows"??
Don't forget pictures as I'm sure many of us have no idea what its like up there.

1FUNVET 09-24-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20loo (Post 1034826)
Probably only a handful of people on here who have any idea what -40C or -40F feels like and fewer that have cooked in it. I haven't!! Talk You will have no problem tho if you shelter your barrel from wind and wrap it so its not losing all your heat thru the thin sheet metal. I would forgo a weber lid as you may have more trouble with loss of heat than the benefit of additional cooking space.

So Northern Lights really isn't atmospheric conditions but rather its you northern guys just messin' with fuel barrels and "night glows"??
Don't forget pictures as I'm sure many of us have no idea what its like up there.

If it gets to 30F i get cold. At -40f i would be more concerned with keeping myself warm and would not be worried about cooking.:biggrin:

Ksmoker1 09-24-2009 09:38 AM

No smoke coming out of intakes. After foiling the lid it dropped down to 230 all night. Probably the amount of lit coals as you said Rich.
Thanks

Stef 09-24-2009 10:16 AM

Damn, that's a nice lid.

Paul B 09-24-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 1034620)

Beautiful looking drum! Shiny!
The chimney cap you have sitting on the compressor tank looks very familiar. I've got the same one sitting in a box and not doing it's job for about 9 years. Glad I'm not alone.[/QUOTE]

Sorry....you are alone. I use to be a chimney sweep(ya I know in Fla!!!), and that is just a left over. I don't even have a fireplace in this house.

Paul B

QuietOne 09-24-2009 07:33 PM

I picked up 3 drums today. One open head, lined, the lid fits so tight it's difficult to open. No gasket in the lid lip, the gasket is laying coiled in the bottom. It's been sitting outside a year plus and a bit of rust on the edge of the lid but otherwise it's new. Cost free. A closed head lined drum held "light oil" whatever that is. Peering in through the bung with a light could see the red liner. 3 drum is a closed head empty fuel drum but no lining to worry about. Drum # 4 I won't get until Monday. It's new, so new they don't have the price in their sales system and won't be till Monday morning. It's pricey but if I consider my time maybe and unlined drum is worth the money.

I've got 3 1" ball valves, second hand salvage, they were quick shut offs on 1250 litre oil tanks. Should I go with reducers to get them on or use 1" air intakes? The larger air intakes might give more heat, which could be a good thing up here.

I've got access to most of what I need to build, either in the basement or with friends about town. Friend is coming over Saturday with his hydraulic knock out cutter to do the barrels I've got. I'll burn them a few times and see how it goes.

I have access to several hundred old plain pallets, rip em with a chain saw and lite em up for night glow. So if you are seeing Northern Lights dancing don't worry it's just me burning barrels this weekend.

Kickback BBQ on Guam 09-24-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1035336)
Beautiful looking drum! Shiny!
The chimney cap you have sitting on the compressor tank looks very familiar. I've got the same one sitting in a box and not doing it's job for about 9 years. Glad I'm not alone.

Sorry....you are alone. I use to be a chimney sweep(ya I know in Fla!!!), and that is just a left over. I don't even have a fireplace in this house.

Paul B[/QUOTE]
Where do you get one of those lids? Shiny is good

Paul B 09-24-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kickback BBQ on Guam (Post 1035588)

Paul B

Where do you get one of those lids? Shiny is good[/QUOTE]

www.arcticproducts.com

They sell a grill very similar to a weber only out of SS. They have regular metal also.

I'm having to do some body work on the lid as it doesn't fit!! But it's getting there. Trying to keep the build all SS.

Paul B

MuddHonda 09-26-2009 04:11 PM

Have read 75 pages and will read them all ,collecting parts & have a few qestions
1. Got a unlined barrel painted black on outside, is rusted a little on inside, Should I burn?
2.Went to Home Depot and Kent Building Supplies, no 22" grills asked the weekend wariors if I could order one said "no thats all we have". Can I use expanded metal?
3. No pipe but gal.No SS bolts longer than 1" threaded all the way. Got 2" carriage bolts.No 13/16" holes saws. Stepped drill $49.99 I'll wait and borrow.
4. Plan on useing 4 -4" x1/2" pipe 2" up. One with ball valve.
5. Basket will be 15" x 6" x 3/4" expanded metal.
6. Flat cover, it has a gasket on it, use or remove? How many holes and how big?
7. Grill supports will be at 26" from bottom.
8. Have a bottle opener.

So far Barrel $0
Opener $0
1/2" valve& bolts $16.17.
Will post pics when I get the parts to build.

Meat Burner 09-26-2009 05:56 PM

1. No need to burn, just clean out the rust.
2. Yep but it will have to be a lot heavier that what HD carries. Try a welding/fab shop.
3. Don't use anything galvanized.
4. Have your fire basket at least 3 inches off the bottom for ash buildup. 2" isn''t enough. 1 1/2" is more than enough. Switched my 4" for 1 1/2" and burns much better.
5. Good
6. Remove gasket. Try eight half inche holes.
7. Critical measurement if 24 inches above the bottom of the fire basket.
8. That's good.
9. PICS !!!!!!!!
10. Good luck brother.
11. Keep reading.

QuietOne 09-26-2009 07:26 PM

Burn out postponed due to rain! Got the knockouts done at 1", 3 holes. Lid 2" for exhaust. Lid cleaned right off with knotted wire on drill. I think water got down in the edge of the drum lid as the seal was coiled in the bottom of the barrel. Rust lift the liner? Came off easy enough though. Hit in drum inside and didn't hardly scratch the liner. Tough stuff.

I have to say there should be a warning at the beginning of this. "Take NOTES. Bookmark often." Going back to look for items is difficult to say the least. I mean I know I saw it somewhere but was it page 57 97 or 117 I know it had a seven in it.

One question so far .... Is there a optimum size or consensus size for a fire basket(s)? I like the wire egg crate design and have several to use. But I will wait and go with expanded metal when I can get it shipped in. A standard fire grate at 16" or whatever that is then expanded metal 9" high would work. But what about small duration burns? An insert ring of ??? size? or just lock it down so a normal load goes out?

Paul B 09-26-2009 09:39 PM

high and uncontrolable temps

I put a good load of charcoal in the basket and put about 10 ashed over birqs on top. WOW does that get hot quick!!!! Put both grills on and covered, lid vent wide open and watched temp rise. At 220* I closed the intake vent down and tried to hold between 220 and 250*. Had no luck, temps kept rising. Could it be an ill fitting lid?? Or possible not enough exhaust??? I think I have plenty of intake because I can open it up and the temps go out the roof fast!! I figure I have about 3 square inches of exhaust.

See " Official start of SS UDS thread" for build pics.

Ideas???

Thanks,

Paul B