The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

jerrykr 08-22-2008 09:49 AM

If you cut inside the lip, a cold chisel and hammer will make short work of it. grind the cut down to finish it. The metal is soft. (don't hit your thumb!) ;^)

sfbbqguy 08-22-2008 12:22 PM

Chisel sounds like a good option...quieter too.
All good advice/tips.
Thanks.

sfbbqguy 08-22-2008 03:19 PM

May have access to an old Weber Performer and am trying to think of a feasible way to use the gas ignition system with a port-hole under charcoal rack in UDS. My thought is I could insert the burner unit in one of the vent holes to get the charcoal lit and then remove the burner unit for cooking.
Any thoughts, ideas, warnings, tips?

shahsy 08-22-2008 04:02 PM

A truly inspiring thread...........BUT I'm based over in London, UK.....

So far, I have managed get my hand the following -

A new 205 litre, open lid, unlined (no coating or rust inhibitor) black steel drum.
2 x 57cm Weber grills
1 x 57cm Weber charcoal grate
A whole bunch of stainless steel M10 nuts, bolts & washers
variable inlet - 1 x 35mm ball lever valve
Fixed Inlets - Some 22mm brass compression fittings with blank capnuts
Outlets - Some 15mm brass compression fittings with blank capnuts for the lid
1 x step drill bit

Most of this will be assembled tomorrow as it is a Bank Holiday weekend and I just need some handles and castors to complete the project.

It has taken me some time to read all of this thread!

Pics coming as and when ready

s

Retread 08-22-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahsy (Post 718432)

A new 205 litre, open lid, unlined (no coating or rust inhibitor) black steel drum.
2 x 57cm Weber grills
1 x step drill bit

Most of this will be assembled tomorrow as it is a Bank Holiday weekend and I just need some handles and castors to complete the project.

s

Took me a few minutes but after googling liters and cm's I got it! You're making a UDS! :-?

Cool! Looking forward to the pic's! :icon_cool

BobF 08-22-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfbbqguy (Post 718091)
Thanks boys. Weber lid fits perfect on outside so will try reciprocating saw on inside lip.
Still holding out for a potential OpenTopper from same source I got the Closed Topper.

Weber lids usually fit closed toppers better.

ON THE FARM 08-22-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfbbqguy (Post 718395)
May have access to an old Weber Performer and am trying to think of a feasible way to use the gas ignition system with a port-hole under charcoal rack in UDS. My thought is I could insert the burner unit in one of the vent holes to get the charcoal lit and then remove the burner unit for cooking.
Any thoughts, ideas, warnings, tips?

I have never tried to run a drum coal basket from the bottom up if thats what you are talking about with the gas ignition system. Or am i missing something.

sfbbqguy 08-22-2008 07:37 PM

You're not missing anything. I figure if the Weber can light from the bottom up then maybe it could work on the UDS. In as much it's a first UDS, and I have significant LOFT I don't want to complicate things but the thought occured to me so I figured I'd throw it out there.
Just trying to simplify the lighting process if that can be done.

BobF 08-22-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfbbqguy (Post 718590)
You're not missing anything. I figure if the Weber can light from the bottom up then maybe it could work on the UDS. In as much it's a first UDS, and I have significant LOFT I don't want to complicate things but the thought occured to me so I figured I'd throw it out there.
Just trying to simplify the lighting process if that can be done.

Just set your chimney on top of the gas thingey.

Norcoredneck 08-22-2008 08:28 PM

I thought about feeding a tube up and through 1/2" pipe that is plugged at one end and holes like a log lighter in charcoal basket. I would lower charcoal set up on propane fed tube and light. I sorta backed off when i had flasbacks of the pics of Ricks leg after his explosion. Weed burner is way to go.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_3085.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_3088.jpg

sfbbqguy 08-22-2008 09:05 PM

Don't want any explosions! Just thinking out loud for now tossing around some ideas. I like the way my Weber starts up so thought it may be nice to continue the tradition but not a big deal...never had a Fatty so just frothing to get one on the UDS! Don't need anything fancy.
KISS should be best until have more experience...........and another UDS in the yard!

Norcoredneck 08-22-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfbbqguy (Post 718687)
Don't want any explosions! Just thinking out loud for now tossing around some ideas. I like the way my Weber starts up so thought it may be nice to continue the tradition but not a big deal...never had a Fatty so just frothing to get one on the UDS! Don't need anything fancy.
KISS should be best until have more experience...........and another UDS in the yard!

One fatty is never enough. Don't let me discourage you. Just the reason I backed off. Would be nice to toss a match in and go.

kitch 08-22-2008 10:04 PM

I just wanted to post....step bits rock!!!!
Thanks to who ever suggested it for the "umteenth" time and I finally caught on to the idea.

Single Fin Smoker 08-23-2008 03:08 AM

Tha' Fatty will change your life bro!

Looking forward to seeing the Euro-UDS!

Dr_KY 08-23-2008 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahsy (Post 718432)

2 x 57cm Weber grills
1 x step drill bit

s

Sounds like we have another drummer on the island.:icon_cool