The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2 eggs no hands (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40869)

CaptGrumpy 04-14-2008 06:05 PM

2 eggs no hands

1 Attachment(s)
Got both eggs workin' today! Got the large slow smokin' 2 racks of spare ribs and the medium is got another hot naked chick tucked inside for a chicken & ribs combo for dinner tonight. Got the serious pron to follow!

CaptGrumpy 04-14-2008 06:07 PM

Almost forgot.
Large is at 210 degrees and the medium is kickin' it at 325!
God it's nice to have two eggs to cook at two seperate temps!!!

BBQ Bandit 04-14-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy (Post 613592)
Almost forgot.

Hey... its not nice to tease....
nya, nya, nya, nya, nya... pffffffft.

Farkin' hot set-up!
PA

CaptGrumpy 04-14-2008 06:13 PM

Sorry! I forgot to add that it is a balmy 75 degrees with a slight wind today!

Scrooge Fan 04-14-2008 06:28 PM

Thanks for reminding me what green grass and leaves on trees look like.

Brauma 04-14-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy (Post 613601)
Sorry! I forgot to add that it is a balmy 75 degrees with a slight wind today!

Ok, the Capt is now the front-runner for Farker of the Month! :lol:

Quote:

Almost forgot.

Yep, my wife insisted on having double ovens in our new house for just that reason. She can have a cake going at 350 in one and broiling something else in the other. Nice

Rick's Tropical Delight 04-14-2008 07:02 PM

go, man, go!

did you just adjust the bands with that wrench? and is the ice scoop for ash or fresh lump?

tjv 04-14-2008 07:08 PM

cool set up. what's the fruit on the trees. where's the bottle opener.....LOL. T

CaptGrumpy 04-14-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight (Post 613653)
go, man, go!

did you just adjust the bands with that wrench? and is the ice scoop for ash or fresh lump?

Rick,
You are very observant! Yes I did right after I assembled the new spring assist band and replaced the old ceramic fire grate. Yes , the scoop is for the lump coal and scooping out the ash into it so I can take it to the garden and mix it in with the dirt around my fruit trees. Chicken is close to being ready and the ribs still have a ways to go. Ribs are primarily for an all day halibut fishing trip on Wednesday morning.
It's tough being a West Coast fark but someone has to do it!:shock:

CaptGrumpy 04-14-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjv (Post 613658)
cool set up. what's the fruit on the trees. where's the bottle opener.....LOL. T

Fruit on the tree in the background are lemons. I also have 4 cherry trees, a tangerine, 1 fig, 2 Fuji apple, 1 naval orange, 1 lime,and 1 nectarine as well as 3 grapes.

Bottle opener? I use my thighs!:eek:

Rick's Tropical Delight 04-14-2008 07:32 PM

hahaha! i look at everything in the frame because i figure if you didn't want it to be seen, it wouldn't be there... including dirty dish rags and unpaid bills :wink:

bbqbull 04-14-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Almost forgot.

:eek::eek::eek:

Bite me CaptGrumpy!

Love the 2 eggs just chugging away in your photo.

CMALANGA 04-14-2008 09:21 PM

Temperture Control

Cap,

How did you achieve the your table temp in the eggs? I recently got a LArge Egg. When I get it going I sometime have trouble maintaining the low temperture (225) when following the reccomended procedure i nthe egg literature. Additionally when I do get the fire stable and then add wood chips to the fire it takes forever for the temp to get back up to its proper level. What kind of timing/procedure are you using?

Chris

BBQ_MAFIA 04-14-2008 10:12 PM

Great picture.

CaptGrumpy 04-14-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMALANGA (Post 613748)
Cap,

How did you achieve the your table temp in the eggs? I recently got a LArge Egg. When I get it going I sometime have trouble maintaining the low temperture (225) when following the reccomended procedure i nthe egg literature. Additionally when I do get the fire stable and then add wood chips to the fire it takes forever for the temp to get back up to its proper level. What kind of timing/procedure are you using?

Chris

I used an old family secret. I get a scoop of wood chips to dd and then open the lid and dump them down the side on both sides and close the lid method. The egg will return itself back to the temp all by itself. The longer the door is open the longer the recovery. If you want super stable, put a Guru DigiQ or Stroker kit on your egg.

CaptGrumpy 04-14-2008 10:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Now for the pron now that I am fat dumb and happy!
#1 Chick onthe egg. It's skin split but the meat stayed super moist.
#2 Chick again trying to show the skin was dark brown and not burnt.
#3 Ribs mid cook at 140 degrees while replacing the meat temp probe.
#4 Dinner ala pron

With whole Foster Farms chickens at 99cents/pound at Smart&Final, I will continue the beercan hot chick flick for the season as long as the price stays reasonable!

CaptGrumpy 04-14-2008 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rib pron shot of the first of the ribs. The meat peels of the bone and it is wet & moist as I put it in my mouth. GAWD these are going to go good on the boat in the bay on Wednesday!

Brauma 04-15-2008 03:07 AM

Awesome lookin grub, Capt. I gotsta get me one of those Eggs.

Rick's Tropical Delight 04-15-2008 06:36 AM

looks good, but it doesn't look like your band bolts are tight enough. if they ain't bent, they ain't tight enuf. the dome can fall out of the band when the band expands due to heat and that's not a good day.

hd4me 04-15-2008 12:04 PM

Capt. The food looks great! I need to get me another egg!!!!!!!!!!just not enough room on one!

CaptGrumpy 04-15-2008 12:12 PM

Rick,
The tabs are slightly bent. Should they be tweeked even more? I didn't want to crack the egg!

icemn62 04-15-2008 12:45 PM

Those eggs do make for some good looking grub.

Rick's Tropical Delight 04-15-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy (Post 614269)
Rick,
The tabs are slightly bent. Should they be tweeked even more? I didn't want to crack the egg!

you have to bend the BOLT at least as much as this photo below. do it when the egg is cold. you will not break the egg with a wrench by hand. i'm not saying put a 4 foot leverage bar on there, but bend the bolt! you know how you cannot break an egg in your hand by squeezing it? it's the same principle. this bolt is the least bent of my three eggs. consider a hot dome falling out of the band when you open it. i've seen it happen on the big green egg forum... not pretty

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ndboltbend.jpg

CaptGrumpy 04-15-2008 05:32 PM

Thanks for the advice Rick! I will go bend me a bolt right now!

DaChief 04-15-2008 05:32 PM

Looks great! Now bend the farkin bolt like the egg king said:biggrin:

Smokin Gator 04-15-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaChief (Post 614541)
Looks great! Now bend the farkin bolt like the egg king said:biggrin:

LOL... ^^^^^what he said!!!

Rick's Tropical Delight 04-15-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy (Post 614540)
Thanks for the advice Rick! I will go bend me a bolt right now!

hahaha! you better be bending two bolts per egg, mister!

the directions state slight bending of the bolts and band flanges is normal, and it's right here on the naked whiz's site: CLICK THIS

i've seen some bolts that were severely bent and the egg didn't break. i need to take photos of my other two egg's band bolts so i can show those since they are really bent.

remember, once the felt gasket gets compressed after a few months of use, you'll need to adjust the bands again and perform the "dollar bill pull out test" to determine if the dome is properly seating on the base. smoke escaping out the dome/base interface is a sign the bands need adjusting.

CaptGrumpy 04-16-2008 12:01 AM

Done bent and yes both of them!:shock: