The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

hdmcgatha 09-17-2011 10:35 PM

Guys, just a quick question. I scored two open top drums that had Adhesion Lacquer in them. If I burn them out and wire wheel or sand disk the inside then wash with soap and water will they be safe to use. I am only up to page 426 but working on getting here soon. This is my first UDS build. I will post as I go along. There is a lot of great ino here.

hankll 09-18-2011 08:42 AM

Nice party people you have there......and the bottle trick is sexy, too.

M.A.D. 09-18-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdmcgatha (Post 1791698)
Guys, just a quick question. I scored two open top drums that had Adhesion Lacquer in them. If I burn them out and wire wheel or sand disk the inside then wash with soap and water will they be safe to use. I am only up to page 426 but working on getting here soon. This is my first UDS build. I will post as I go along. There is a lot of great ino here.

Test a patch...Use a plumber's torch and the wire wheel. If that works, prepare for a nice hot burn...:wink:

Mr. Bo 09-18-2011 01:22 PM

I'm way into this thread and haven't found or missed any mention of using aluminum expanded metal for the charcoal basket. The melting point is 1220 degrees F. Any health issues involved?

mmmmeat 09-18-2011 01:26 PM

I think the longevity would suffer with aluminum, ive still gotta build my fire basket for mine, stol waiting for sutherlands to restock, probably this week. What diameter are you planin for your basket?

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

GlobalTJB 09-18-2011 09:29 PM

drums in va

delete

spareheat 09-18-2011 09:35 PM

While reading this thread, I thought of useing the UDS as a grill also ( like others ) I thought of using chain to hold the firebasket closer to the grates so it could be grilled on or lowered to the bottom to be a smoker. It works quiet well. Then yesterday I ran across the " D-M**tBarrel " on youtube. Has anyone seen these? Basicly it is a UDS that hangs the meat instead of racking. It has a rack on chains to adjust the height to the fire but the rack is for pan food. The meat hangs on hooks and rods. They adjust the exhaust instead of the intake (don't like that). It has nice shelves though. I am NOT promoting this product. Nor am I affiliated in anyway to this company. This is NOT an advertisment. I had planned on smoking homade Bacon in my UDS by hanging and using a cold smoke generator. Has anyone done this?

mike5150 09-19-2011 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareheat (Post 1792504)
While reading this thread, I thought of useing the UDS as a grill also ( like others ) I thought of using chain to hold the firebasket closer to the grates so it could be grilled on or lowered to the bottom to be a smoker. It works quiet well. Then yesterday I ran across the " D-M**tBarrel " on youtube. Has anyone seen these? Basicly it is a UDS that hangs the meat instead of racking. It has a rack on chains to adjust the height to the fire but the rack is for pan food. The meat hangs on hooks and rods. They adjust the exhaust instead of the intake (don't like that). It has nice shelves though. I am NOT promoting this product. Nor am I affiliated in anyway to this company. This is NOT an advertisment. I had planned on smoking homade Bacon in my UDS by hanging and using a cold smoke generator. Has anyone done this?

D-Meat Barrel Smoker $400.00 My UDS $100.00

morgaj1 09-19-2011 07:43 PM

For those of you considering buying a Uni-Flame 22.5" (knockoff Weber) grill at Walmart and using the dome, don't do it. It is 0.5" smaller than the Weber. Plus it is very cheaply made. The one that I got was not even completely round. Very poor quality. I ended up ordering a dome lid from Weber for $52.

InTheRedZoneBBQ 09-19-2011 10:00 PM

Several UDS designs have 3/4" fender washers over the 3 (or 4) intake valves. My questions is why? What does this do? The 3/4" nipples screw directly into the barrel and would seem to be airtight (or very close).

I don't mind adding them, just not sure of their value...

mike5150 09-20-2011 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheRedZoneBBQ (Post 1793561)
Several UDS designs have 3/4" fender washers over the 3 (or 4) intake valves. My questions is why? What does this do? The 3/4" nipples screw directly into the barrel and would seem to be airtight (or very close).

I don't mind adding them, just not sure of their value...

I think they use the washer only if there hole got a little big when drilling it. Mine screw in nicely. I did use a conduit nut on both sides just to be on the safe side..

bowa 09-20-2011 06:30 AM

One from Germany:becky:
http://s1.directupload.net/images/110920/q6r2mvuo.jpg

jcinadr 09-20-2011 09:29 AM

I don't use fender washers, but do use conduit nuts. They helped lock in the nipple so it would not twist when a cap got a little stuck. Of course eventually the hole opened up, and they did the entire job of keeping the nipple in place.

Mr. Bo 09-20-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmeat (Post 1792040)
I think the longevity would suffer with aluminum, ive still gotta build my fire basket for mine, stol waiting for sutherlands to restock, probably this week. What diameter are you planin for your basket?

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

I'm going to use an ECB grill grate for now to see how it works, so I think around 16" diameter. Never measured it though.
I went but the steel place on 6th last week to see if they had any scraps. Guy said no but he would check their other location and bring some over if they had any. I'll check back Friday. He did say a 4' x 8' sheet was around $20. Sounded way cheap compared to what I saw in Sutherlands and Homo Depot for half that.

InTheRedZoneBBQ 09-20-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike5150 (Post 1793655)
I think they use the washer only if there hole got a little big when drilling it. Mine screw in nicely. I did use a conduit nut on both sides just to be on the safe side..

Thanks. I used the conduit nuts as well, just didn't see the value in the washers, thought I was missing something...

I'll skip them.