The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wood: Bark on or bark off? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13266)

sodbuster 08-31-2005 03:13 AM

Wood: Bark on or bark off?

I'm just getting started with Q and have a excellent supply of wood. So far I'm removing the bark, but it's a real pain. What are the rest of you doing? So far I've used Hickory and Apple, but have some Peach and all sorts of Oak layin around.

JamesB 08-31-2005 05:13 AM

If the bark falls off, I don't try to put it back on... If I can't pull it off very easily with my hands, it stays on...

James.

chad 08-31-2005 06:02 AM

Fruit wood I wouldn't worry about it. If the oak bark is loose knock it off otherwise don't bother - the hickory...I'd try to take some of the bark off - hickeory can go WAY over the top and get bitter and the bark could exacerbate the bitterness!! :D

Just my opinion.

Arlin_MacRae 08-31-2005 06:10 AM

I mostly use hickory, pecan, and mesquite and I've never made an effort to remove bark.
Never suffered from bitterness.

Jeff_in_KC 08-31-2005 06:42 AM

If it is readily removeable, I take it off. I try to use chunks and splits with the least bark in the bag first or at least try to mix in so not all wood I'm using has bark.

nucleargeek 08-31-2005 07:38 AM

Wood comes with bark on it...so I leave it on. Never had a problem.

VitaminQ 08-31-2005 07:52 AM

I use pecan almost exclusively, and I've never purposely de-barked. If it falls off, I discard it. I've noticed no ill effects, but different woods may have different properties, as several have pointed out.

Jeff_in_KC 08-31-2005 08:15 AM

Vitamin, to what address can I forward to you the half bag of pecan splits I have? :lol: I used it once on chicken when the store was out of apple wood and I didn't care for it much at all...

Seriously, I'll probably give it another shot but not sure with what.

icemn62 08-31-2005 08:46 AM

When I buy wood it is mostly from fruit trees. When I reach in the bag I never worry about the bark.

rbinms33 08-31-2005 12:06 PM

If it's older wood and the bark will pull off, I'll take it off. Otherwise, I burn it bark and all.

elvis67 08-31-2005 08:17 PM

I dont worry bout the bark sodbuster just leave it on. Hey I am only 50 60 miles south of ya down by the nuclear plant at burlington. I have family at topeka, silver lake, and at ozawkie by perry lake.

VitaminQ 08-31-2005 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Vitamin, to what address can I forward to you the half bag of pecan splits I have? :lol: I used it once on chicken when the store was out of apple wood and I didn't care for it much at all...

Seriously, I'll probably give it another shot but not sure with what.

Don't give up on it yet, Jeff. IMO there's nothing better than pecan. Nice mild, mellow smoke. If you decide you can't stand it, though, I guess I could take it off your hands. I'd hate to see it go to waste. :D

BBQchef33 08-31-2005 10:38 PM

if its easy to remove, i remove it.

if its really really thick i remove it.

if its a little moist, i remove it.

otherwise.. i burn it. :)