The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

wlh3 02-22-2008 10:21 AM

I am with you JW used ure mods for my drum 2" intake w/ 3" exhaust. This works fantastic. I did cut my exhaust length down to 9" from 14" and the temp control is even better. Thanks for your great ideas and I now understand why it works so well. The extra 10 lbs I have put on will attest to that:lol::icon_bigsmil

JW 02-22-2008 01:17 PM

Totally with you there wlh3 I'm on a diet now just so I can eat more Q this spring and summer :-D

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ 02-22-2008 02:52 PM

I'm going with the N8man design on this weekend's barrel and a custom green and white, Amp Energy~National Guard #88 paint job. It's got a one~way ticket to the Spring race at Talladega.

If it survives 5 days at the free campground, I'll prolly sell it off to one of the yocals or passersby. I'm thinkin' $400 ought to be a good starting price...:shock:

redy2smoke 02-22-2008 03:13 PM

Keep on druming! :smile:

N8man 02-22-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bottles 'n Bones BBQ (Post 569025)
I'm going with the N8man design on this weekend's barrel and a custom green and white, Amp Energy~National Guard #88 paint job. It's got a one~way ticket to the Spring race at Talladega.

If it survives 5 days at the free campground, I'll prolly sell it off to one of the yocals or passersby. I'm thinkin' $400 ought to be a good starting price...:shock:

I love my DrumPit so much, 400 Bucks is what it'd take to get it!:-P

TexaQ 02-22-2008 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Chinesebob,

Here is my UDS working last weekend and a close up of the exhaust. The exhaust is Ø3" automotive exhaust pipe and the damper flap is cut from an electrical box cover with a 4" grinder. The flap is spring loaded to stay in place during operation.

Attachment 13445

Bbq Bubba 02-22-2008 07:27 PM

O.K. gotta ask....why the damper on top? You don't close that when you cook do you?
I would think that could make for some stale smoke......i.e. creosote :shock:

ratdawg 02-22-2008 08:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I only close mine when not in use to keep rain out.

TexaQ 02-22-2008 08:18 PM

Its all about balance. Think of a kettle. Same number of exhaust holes as intake holes. Air is moving out as a similar volume of air is moving in. In this case, my exhaust keeps the intake pulling air without a run away effect that spikes the temperature up. So one intake completely open and the exhaust damper open about 1/3 of the way will keep me in the 225°F to 250°F range for hours. More heat is retained behind the slightly closed damper. Additionally, it is easy to adjust (no stooping down, etc.) and is condusive to use in bad weather. Creosote is going to develop when the fire can burn more oxygen/fuel than the exhaust can vent. Mathematically, the exhaust is approximately four times the size of the intake at the adjustment I use. The food has all been good so far. What do you think?

JW 02-22-2008 09:49 PM

The 'balance' will work both ways, and as long as there is air flow and the exhaust pipe doesn't extend to far into the cooking chamber you shouldn't get any stale smoke. I have tried setting my smokers that way Texas Q but I find that with the exhaust in the wide open position a stronger air flow (or draw) is established at the intake tube which results in the intake damper being opened very little to acheive temp, this allows wider ranges of adjustments for different cooking temps. Even with the exhaust fully open there is still ample heat in the upper portion of the cooking chamber.

Design and methods of operation will vary from smoker to smoker and as long as they work all is well, look at how many pages this thread is on this one subject, the information here is fantastic and its the different issues and points of views like the ones we're talking about here that have given alot of people the courage to tackle making their own UDS and spreading the joy of BBQ. It would be great to see all of these barrels in one place turning out some really great eats!

BY the way good looking smokers ya'll got there Texas Q and ratdawg :-D

TexaQ 02-22-2008 10:10 PM

JW,
Maybe it is the small diameter of the intakes. My intakes are Ø 7/8". Also the exhaust stack does not extend below the inside of the lid. Additionally the stack is short, in comparison to some I have seen. I did have to extend the stack on my off set to the cooking grates to hold temperatures.

I can't tell any difference in the temperature around the circumference of the grill where the meat is. Is it possible that temperature is drastically different across the grill only having one intake location open?

There is something different about my drum? What is it? Look closely.

Hey, ratdawg how does your drum cook? It looks great.

smokinwig 02-23-2008 07:40 AM

ratdawg thats awesome looking drum.my favorite so far.whats up with the angle iron on top?is it to keep the top from warping or just for extra weight? I just found me a drum and soon will be part of the club. wig

Dr_KY 02-23-2008 09:11 AM

That's it people I have gone and done it!

Last week at work I finaly spotted a drum with a removable lid so I picked it up this morning with three pallets that were sitting around and ran it straight out to the mother-in-laws farm so she could give it several good burns. Broke up the pallets and set some of the wood inside just to get her started.
Aint I just the best son-in-law in the world.lol

Just for giggles I *recieved* a 2'' and 1.5'' ball valves, 2'' brass nipple ect.Wonder if it's going to burn way too much fuel with those sizes?

I'm off to ebay to find a 22'' grill.

redy2smoke 02-23-2008 10:01 AM

TexaQ,, your drum lid and the flange around the edge. no bung holes in lid??? give us a heads up on constructing.

TexaQ 02-23-2008 11:07 AM

Actually the lid is on upside down. The walls of the barrel slope toward the center. Luckily I had a lid in my junk stash; since the lid that came with the barrel was plastic. Fortunately the lid fits very tight this way and does not leak.

I would like a kettle lid for this UDS. What kettle lid might fit? The barrel is Ø 22 1/4".

As for the construction I wanted to build as much as possible without welding. I drilled the intake holes 2" up from the base and burned the barrel by laying it down on its side on some bricks to elevate it and protect the patio. The charcoal basket is a 13" Weber Smokey Joe charcoal replacement grill with expanded metal that is attached with hog rings. This basket sits on a 15" ash pan. The cooking grate is 7 1/2" down from the opening. I had a muffler shop weld a Ø 3" x 7" long piece of exhaust pipe to the lid. They also put a 14"-20 bolt inside the pipe for the damper to attach to. I cut the damper out of an steel electrical box cover and held it in place with a washer, compression spring and couple of jam nuts.

It is cooking this morning and I have made one adjustment in just over two hours. Additionally, I have noticed that if the wind is blowing that it works best to open the intake that is common to the direction the wind is coming from. If the wind is strong I shield the UDS during cooking to control the temperature.