The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

kenrobin 03-08-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4280959)
Prior to firmware version 3.44, there was an issue going on last year w/ the WiFi module... timeouts/disconnects being it. MAK Grills really dialed things in with ver 3.44, and that has been noticed by every MAK Grills Mobile owner I have talked with over the past 6 months or so. It has been super stable. I would definitely encourage anyone that is not experiencing that to contact MAK.

If you do call in for support, Dennis is the one you’ll want to connect with :)

Thanks for the tip! I'll check my firmware tomorrow.

kenrobin 03-08-2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenbear (Post 4281015)
Man, I pulled the trigger on a 1 Star 8 days prior to this thread starting. Zero regrets. They still threw me some deals, including a new tool holder for the 1 Star that’s not on their site yet. Happy happy.

That's a sweet setup! I'll be looking for that tool holder too!

rwalters 03-08-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281296)
You probably thought I was smarter than that, right? I'll know for sure when I fire it up next time. Might explain why it worked for 6 hours yesterday. People showed up and I wasn't at the grill playing with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Most of the things I share about the MAK Grills I have learned the hard way... don’t feel bad [emoji1306]

kenrobin 03-08-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281133)
I need an ash brush. The brush I tried to use didn't work well at all. Definitely easier to clean out than my other pellet grills. Lots of ash though.

Buy a shop vac or ash vacuum. It only takes a few minutes to get up all of that ash with one.

kenrobin 03-08-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4281268)
I’ve never placed an aluminum pan in the grease drawer. Takes me 60 seconds to scrape it out with a putty knife, and then I just scrub the little bit of residue out with hot soapy water. Takes a total of maybe 3 mins, and it isn’t needed very often. Whatever works though :)

I don't use an aluminum pan either. Putty knife gets the job done quickly just like @rwalters said.

pjtexas1 03-08-2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenrobin (Post 4281303)
Buy a shop vac or ash vacuum. It only takes a few minutes to get up all of that ash with one.

I have both. I'm not sure what's easier until I get the right brush. I use the ash vac on the offset all the time. Seems like sweeping might work easier and vac every few months.

kenrobin 03-08-2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4281292)
Yep, when using WiFi you must control the cooker via MAK Grills Mobile. If you touch the Pellet Boss controller, you’ll basically shut off the WiFi module.

The WiFi experience is the one area that I wish MAK would tighten up. When I bought mine a few years ago, instructions for installation of the WiFi module were sparse & disclosures like having to operate your MAK strictly via MAK Mobile when using WiFi was no place to be found. I can't remember if they mentioned in the instructions that you have to connect WiFi to 2.4GHz or not. I didn't find out about that until I called to ask for help to get it running.

pjtexas1 03-08-2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenrobin (Post 4281308)
The WiFi experience is the one area that I wish MAK would tighten up. When I bought mine a few years ago, instructions for installation of the WiFi module were sparse & disclosures like having to operate your MAK strictly via MAK Mobile when using WiFi was no place to be found. I can't remember if they mentioned in the instructions that you have to connect WiFi to 2.4GHz or not. I didn't find out about that until I called to ask for help to get it running.

NotesforthePelletBossopera/onoftheGrillinWi-Fimode:

!ThePelletbossissecondarytoMAKGrillsMobile[emoji769]whenusingWi-Fi/WebControl.Thereforenotall thescreenswillbepresentorac-veonthecontrollerduringWi-Fi/WebControlopera-on.

!Alarms,-mers,no-fica-onsetc.inMAKGrillsMobile[emoji769]willnotappearorsoundonthePelletBoss controlleratthegrill.

!Therearenouserprogramscreensor-mersavailableonthecontrollerwhileitisinWi-Fimode.

!Themeatprobescreenswilldisplayandyoucansetalarmsa tthecontrollerbuttheywillnothaveany effectonMAKGrillsMobile[emoji769]alarmsortheotherwayaround.

!If you change Set Point temperature on the Pellet Boss it will disconnect the Wi-Fi/Web Control.

!IfyouwanttoreconnecttoMAKGrillsMobile[emoji769]simplyarrowtothewebcontrolscreenandselect “ON”,thenpushtheStarBuGontoaccept.

rwalters 03-08-2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenrobin (Post 4281308)

Can’t disagree with you, but I will say that the WiFi module is WAY better than it was a few years ago. It was pretty bad. As mentioned there were a couple of issues last year. MAK jumped on those and today it is rock solid. I hated it 4 years ago when I first tried it. That’s no longer the case at all :)

ssv3 03-08-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4281275)
Serious?!?! Could it be it’s not really a friend, but YOU?!?! Asking for a friend [emoji851]

:laugh:

Perhaps! We'll see. :mrgreen:

rwalters 03-09-2020 10:02 AM

MAK Group Buy

Happy Monday Brethren and Sistren! Well, all good things must come to an end. Official word from MAK Grills is that our “group buy deal” will be coming to a close at the end of business this Thursday, 3/12. That was strategically planned as MAK did not want to end it on Friday the 13th... lol. If you are currently sitting on the fence, now is the time to make your final decision on which side your gonna come down :)

4ever3 03-09-2020 11:47 AM

Front shelf ordered...

rwalters 03-09-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ever3 (Post 4281409)
Front shelf ordered...

Nice!

Sooner21 03-09-2020 12:56 PM

2⭐️ ordered...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwalters 03-09-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner21 (Post 4281426)
2⭐️ ordered...

Congrats and welcome to the MAK family!! :)

What accessories did you decide on?

Sooner21 03-09-2020 01:12 PM

WiFi, full upper grate, and cabinet door. Really looking forward to being able to cook as often as I used to with an almost 4 year old dude running around!

rwalters 03-09-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner21 (Post 4281432)
WiFi, full upper grate, and cabinet door. Really looking forward to being able to cook as often as I used to with an almost 4 year old dude running around!

Solid options! And I totally hear ya about wanting to cook outdoors more often. When that smoke gets rollin’ it’s highly therapeutic for us Brethren, especially for those of us that are parents of smaller ones. Every single time I fire up the MAK it puts a smile on my face... even if a little person is tantrum’ing... lol. In all seriousness though... to be able to easily produce fantastic wood-pellet fired meals on a regular basis has been a huge blessing for my family... and I am sure it will be for yours as well :)

pjtexas1 03-09-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner21 (Post 4281432)

Congrats! He'll be helping dad sooner than you think. If you have wifi issues let me know. I can tell you exactly what NOT to do.

IXL 03-09-2020 02:14 PM

So, which of the 28 pages of this thread give the details of cost and delivery, etc?

Sooner21 03-09-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4281435)
Solid options! And I totally hear ya about wanting to cook outdoors more often. When that smoke gets rollin’ it’s highly therapeutic for us Brethren, especially for those of us that are parents of smaller ones. Every single time I fire up the MAK it puts a smile on my face... even if a little person is tantrum’ing... lol. In all seriousness though... to be able to easily produce fantastic wood-pellet fired meals on a regular basis has been a huge blessing for my family... and I am sure it will be for yours as well :)

Ya know - some people would call you an enabler. I'll call you a wealth of knowledge and someone that really loves the product you bought! I've enjoyed all the info you've volunteered about your MAK for the last few years - I've seen most of it. Not much time to do anything but read the forum for a while but hopefully that'll change with the MAK!

Sooner21 03-09-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281444)
Congrats! He'll be helping dad sooner than you think. If you have wifi issues let me know. I can tell you exactly what NOT to do.

Ha! I've learned more than "not to play with the MAK" if using WiFi from you.

Baychilla 03-09-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IXL (Post 4281453)
So, which of the 28 pages of this thread give the details of cost and delivery, etc?

You have to call to ask for the price. People that took advantage of the offer were asked to not put numbers online. Delivery is via FedEx freight and included in the cost of the grill.

rwalters 03-09-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IXL (Post 4281453)

The request from MAK Grills is that the Brethren call in to discuss the group-buy deal. The deal is straight up and consistent, it’s just not something that MAK Grills wants advertised. Caleb is your man if you wanna learn more. (503) 623-1234

IXL 03-09-2020 02:26 PM

Thanks! I think........

rwalters 03-09-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner21 (Post 4281454)
Ya know - some people would call you an enabler. I'll call you a wealth of knowledge and someone that really loves the product you bought! I've enjoyed all the info you've volunteered about your MAK for the last few years - I've seen most of it. Not much time to do anything but read the forum for a while but hopefully that'll change with the MAK!

Do I love the MAK product? Yes! I try very hard to not allow that product excitement to come across as pushy. If I ever come across as “that guy”, please feel free to push back and even slap me upside the head if needed. I do not want to be “him!!” :)

pjtexas1 03-09-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4281462)
Do I love the MAK product? Yes! I try very hard to not allow that product excitement to come across as pushy. If I ever come across as “that guy”, please feel free to push back and even slap me upside the head if needed. I do not want to be “him!!” :)

What's your address? Asking for a friend...

Prneum 03-09-2020 03:12 PM

Since this my first venture into pellet grills, I'm curious about the preference of wood pellets. Not brand but flavor.
I saw on Facebook Live that Meathead uses only apple because he says after hickory and mesquite, you can't tell a deference between the rest. He uses a MAK 2 Star also. I find that hard to believe with so many flavors being sold.
Isn't apple good if you're looking for a mild smoke? I understand that the blends will give off less ash too. I ordered some pecan, cherry and maple from Bear Mountain and figured I would blend some of those together.
Just curious what the Brethren is enjoying with the MAK?

rwalters 03-09-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281478)
What's your address? Asking for a friend...

Tell your friend I can be reached at:

PO Box 562
Woodland CA 95776

I have the PO Box for this very reason... “your friends.” [emoji12]

Crispy Bacon 03-09-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281478)
what's your address? Asking for a friend...

Sent from my sm-g955u using tapatalk

lmao

4ever3 03-09-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IXL (Post 4281460)
Thanks! I think........

Phone calls are free (is there such a thang as long distance anymore) and there is NO pressure, if ya wanna do it fine and if you don’t fine, I swear to ya.

Marquez 03-09-2020 06:25 PM

OK..... Just got off the phone w Caleb and Two Star will be on its way.

Now its time to sell the One Star I bought last year.

Anybody looking for a good deal?

rwalters 03-09-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VFib (Post 4281542)
OK..... Just got off the phone w Caleb and Two Star will be on its way.

Now its time to sell the One Star I bought last year.

Anybody looking for a good deal?

Awesome!!! I did the same several years ago... went from a 1 Star to 2 Star... and then sold the 2 Star to get the 2019 model. Call me a nut... I don’t care... lol.

Baychilla 03-09-2020 07:16 PM

How do you cook brats on a Mak? Low and slow or hot and fast?

4ever3 03-09-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4281569)
How do you cook brats on a Mak? Low and slow or hot and fast?

Well, YES!!!

rm41400 03-09-2020 08:33 PM

My Mak 2 star has landed!!!

Picked it up at the FedEx hub & put it together this morning. Finally home from work to really check it out.

Seasoning it now @ 450 for 30 min.

Have to say my initial impression is very good. I like high end stuff but I can be picky. I was skeptical if the quality and fit and finish would match with the price and I can say YES.

I’ll give feedback on how it runs etc as I get a little more run time with it.

rwalters 03-09-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm41400 (Post 4281626)

Picked it up at the FedEx hub & put it together this morning. Finally home from work to really check it out.

Have to say my initial impression is very good. I like high end stuff but I can be picky. I was skeptical if the quality and fit and finish would match with the price and I can say YES.

Outstanding! Can’t wait to see and hear more :)

4ever3 03-09-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prneum (Post 4281479)
Since this my first venture into pellet grills, I'm curious about the preference of wood pellets. Not brand but flavor.
I saw on Facebook Live that Meathead uses only apple because he says after hickory and mesquite, you can't tell a deference between the rest. He uses a MAK 2 Star also. I find that hard to believe with so many flavors being sold.
Isn't apple good if you're looking for a mild smoke? I understand that the blends will give off less ash too. I ordered some pecan, cherry and maple from Bear Mountain and figured I would blend some of those together.
Just curious what the Brethren is enjoying with the MAK?

To each their own but we have landed on Lumberjack competition blend as our all around favorite, just try a few brands and blends, your find what you like!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm41400 (Post 4281626)

I’m 100% with you!

#smokeon

pjtexas1 03-09-2020 08:59 PM

I really like B&B post oak but then again I was born and raised in Central Texas so I'm biased. Just smells like home when I light it up.

4ever3 03-09-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281643)
I really like B&B post oak but then again I was born and raised in Central Texas so I'm biased. Just smells like home when I light it up.

Where do you buy it at?

pjtexas1 03-09-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ever3 (Post 4281644)
Where do you buy it at?

HEB. Another Texas thing. But I know Academy carries a lot of B&B products.

KevinJ 03-09-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281643)

That's good to know, local LJ dealer has quit selling pellets and I only have 160lbs left so I've started to explore what I'm going todo, was leaning towards ordering bulk from Cooking Pellets, the local Academy Sports carry B&B and was planning on giving them a try, the price is certainly right.

Josh@MAK 03-09-2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinJ (Post 4281652)
That's good to know, local LJ dealer has quit selling pellets and I only have 160lbs left so I've started to explore what I'm going todo, was leaning towards ordering bulk from Cooking Pellets, the local Academy Sports carry B&B and was planning on giving them a try, the price is certainly right.

No, personal experience with B&B, but if they're still essentially the generic brand of BBQers Delight they'll be solid. I haven't heard anything negative about them that I can recall.

KevinJ 03-10-2020 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh@MAK (Post 4281691)
No, personal experience with B&B, but if they're still essentially the generic brand of BBQers Delight they'll be solid. I haven't heard anything negative about them that I can recall.

Thanks Josh, I had read elsewhere they were rebranded BBQers Delight.

rwalters 03-10-2020 09:43 AM

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock... 3 days left.

Baychilla 03-10-2020 09:49 AM

Anyone have advice for how to put a Mak together solo? I live hell and gone from friends/coworkers.

bschoen 03-10-2020 10:02 AM

I find an engine hoist to hold stuff up for assembly to be very useful. I too am a one man show.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-...ane-61858.html

This may not be practical for you though.

rwalters 03-10-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4281779)
Anyone have advice for how to put a Mak together solo? I live hell and gone from friends/coworkers.

It’s a one man job til you get to moving the cook chamber to the cart. I have seen guys do that part solo... but I’ll be the first to admit that I ain’t man enough for it. Not sure of an easy way to connect the two without a helping hand. Perhaps a neighbor with a slab of ribs as payment?

smoke ninja 03-10-2020 11:53 AM

every time I go to home depot/ lowes (which is at least once a week) I check the bbq aisle for open bags of pellets. they mark them down 50%

pjtexas1 03-10-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

You might try locking the wheels and see if they hold. Just be real careful and go slow in case it slides. If you have a deck or shop with a wood floor maybe nail a 2x4 down and use that to hold the wheels in place while you lift.

Marquez 03-10-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

I solo assembled my One Star last year..... not recommended.

I mean I did it, but I had to think it out and made sure that at all times the weight was supported because its impossible otherwise.