The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

70monte 03-06-2020 04:48 PM

Congratulations to all of the new MAK owners. If I was interested in a pellet cooker, it would be this one. I look forward to all of the cooks.

Crispy Bacon 03-06-2020 05:39 PM

Just placed my order. Caleb & MAK are a class act!! Can’t wait to get it & start cooking!!

MAK 2 Star
WiFi
2 grill grates
Door
3/4 rack
Extra probe. \m/ \m/ Heck Yeah!!!

rwalters 03-06-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon (Post 4280421)
Just placed my order. Caleb & MAK are a class act!! Can’t wait to get it & start cooking!!

MAK 2 Star
WiFi
2 grill grates
Door
3/4 rack
Extra probe. \m/ \m/ Heck Yeah!!!

Being you’re the one responsible for starting this Group Buy, I sure am glad you made it in before the door closes [emoji4]. Welcome to the MAK family brother!

Crispy Bacon 03-06-2020 05:53 PM

Thanks to you!

Thanks to you. Couldn’t have done it without you brotha! You put a lot of time in here answering questions!! I’m glad i was just able to get a grill & help all of the others get one too! I was just waiting on Uncle Sam & approval from “the boss” Lol. Took longer than usual to get my money!! Ha!

ssv3 03-06-2020 06:15 PM

Congrats Jeremy! Hell of a cooker.

I don't blame you. I took a week vacation when I got my LSG offset. :becky:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ever3 (Post 4280195)

sudsandswine 03-06-2020 09:26 PM

How long does this group buy go on for? Been a crazy week, I called in and missed Caleb and he called me back and I got busy again.

Baychilla 03-06-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4280224)
Rumor has it that there is less than a week left before the MAK Brethren deal goes bye-bye. If you’re on the fence, I’d encourage you to make a final decision before it’s to late. Are they expensive? Yup! Do you get what you pay for? Yup! Will you find a better deal than this in the future? Seriously doubt it. No pressure whatsoever, but now is a great time to pull the trigger if you are in the market for a premium pellet grill. Any other Brethren/Sistren ready to join the MAK family?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudsandswine (Post 4280502)
How long does this group buy go on for? Been a crazy week, I called in and missed Caleb and he called me back and I got busy again.

It looks like less than a week. I'm not sure what that means.

pjtexas1 03-06-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4280505)
It looks like less than a week. I'm not sure what that means.

It means buy now or pay retail.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rwalters 03-06-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4280510)
It means buy now or pay retail.

...or some would say less than 7 days [emoji12]

pjtexas1 03-07-2020 11:47 AM

Ok. Only been a few hours but damn this 1 Star is impressing me more and more. Even at 325 it's putting out smoke. SMOKE! Not just little wisps here and there. Got a fatty going, sausage and a spatch chicken. I know everyone said it smokes but I didn't really understand until I could see it with my own eyes. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

rwalters 03-07-2020 12:09 PM

MAK Group Buy

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4280680)
Ok. Only been a few hours but damn this 1 Star is impressing me more and more. Even at 325 it's putting out smoke. SMOKE! Not just little wisps here and there. Got a fatty going, sausage and a spatch chicken. I know everyone said it smokes but I didn't really understand until I could see it with my own eyes. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Funny story I don’t think I have shared. When I bought my first MAK (an old 1st generation 1 Star) a lil over 4 years ago, the buddy that I bought it from had a low n slow cook going one afternoon. Due to the amount of smoke, and one of his neighbors not knowing where that smoke was coming from, they called 911. Didn’t take long for the fire dept to track down the source of smoke, and yep it was the MAK 1 Star. Needless to say, the ribs were just finishing up as the fire dept arrived and to their happy surprise they left the scene with a rib dinner care package :)

Let’s see some pics of your MAK in its new home!!!

Prneum 03-07-2020 12:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is a beautiful thing. I picked it up yesterday from the Fed Ex hub, got it together last night and started some baby backs today. It's a beautiful thing. I've never had a grill/smoker made with such precision and quality!
Did I mention that it's a beautiful thing?

rwalters 03-07-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prneum (Post 4280701)
This is a beautiful thing. I picked it up yesterday from the Fed Ex hub, got it together last night and started some baby backs today. It's a beautiful thing. I've never had a grill/smoker made with such precision and quality!
Did I mention that it's a beautiful thing?

LOVE it!!! Keep them pics coming buddy :)

pjtexas1 03-07-2020 02:02 PM

...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ee7f66d7b8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b35b465047.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5889dac46a.jpg

rwalters 03-07-2020 02:11 PM

Love it! So what cookers do you currently have in your arsenal and which are on their way out? I saw you mention that you are thinning the herd.

Prneum 03-07-2020 02:27 PM

I'm loving this roaming thermocoupler. I have the Thermoworks Smoke thermometer on the top rack and the MAK thermocoupler on the bottom.
The Smoke thermo was reading less than the MAK, so I moved the MAK to the top rack and guess what? Yep...:thumb:

rwalters 03-07-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prneum (Post 4280738)
I'm loving this roaming thermocoupler. I have the Thermoworks Smoke thermometer on the top rack and the MAK thermocoupler on the bottom.
The Smoke thermo was reading less than the MAK, so I moved the MAK to the top rack and guess what? Yep...:thumb:

The thermocouple is also easy peasy to clean on the newer MAK’s being you can remove it and bring it right to you.

Prneum 03-07-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4280741)
The thermocouple is also easy peasy to clean on the newer MAK’s being you can remove it and bring it right to you.

Very true. I think they thought of everything!

KevinJ 03-07-2020 02:38 PM

Like the front shelf, when the last gen 1 Star came out the front shelf was only 7" deep that looks deeper than 7" just checked the site and now it's 9", looks great Scott and more important usable.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/a...1&d=1583607250

Prneum 03-07-2020 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's perfect for the BBQ cookie sheets that we use and of course a nice cold beverage.

Prneum 03-07-2020 03:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just wanted to clarify the size of the front table. The website says 9" and they are correct. The measurement is from the back of the table where it attaches to the grill. With the table, the MAK 1 is about 30" wide. Any more and it wouldn't be able to fit through my door from the garage to the patio.

ebijack 03-07-2020 03:37 PM

Ok, did any of you Brethren speak to my wife?
I was finally decided to NOT order a Mak 2 star with smoke box and all grates available.
Took me a bit to come to that conclusion.
Till today, the wife brought if up.
Guess I'll be calling Caleb back on monday.. :tsk::tsk::tsk:

pjtexas1 03-07-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebijack (Post 4280769)

I was finally decided to NOT order a Mak 2 star with smoke box and all grates available.

That's terrible! I hope you 2 can get thru this ordeal. [emoji16]

Sooner21 03-07-2020 03:44 PM

I've been coming to this thread way too often. I talked to Caleb a few days ago.... I'll be calling back and putting an order in before this ends. Can't decide on what to get yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoke ninja 03-07-2020 03:46 PM

Wow. Tom's crossing over to the dark side. He's a tough critic.......if he's satisfied with it MAK can turn anyone

Crispy Bacon 03-07-2020 03:48 PM

Awesome. I ordered mine yesterday & I keep coming back here too! Excited for everybody!!

pjtexas1 03-07-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4280730)
Love it! So what cookers do you currently have in your arsenal and which are on their way out? I saw you mention that you are thinning the herd.

Mak 1 Star / SF 24x55 Straight Back / T&K GF /Abe's 48" Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy / CB Roti / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr / Pellet Pro 440

Gotta go:
Copperhead
Pellet Pro
Char-Griller kettle
Blackstone Griddle

Maybe:
Jimmy
Red Box

rwalters 03-07-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

[emoji15]well now! Ain’t that a quick turn of events?!?! Can’t wait to see you join the family :)

jstrand 03-07-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Perfect! Someone finally getting Super Smoker Box! Post your thoughts on that thing when you get it. I would like some real world reviews. When i finally bite the bullet I'm getting the Smoker Box to do bacon etc. but can't really find any real world reviews.

rwalters 03-07-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4280779)
Mak 1 Star / SF 24x55 Straight Back / T&K GF /Abe's 48" Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy / CB Roti / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr / Pellet Pro 440

Gotta go:
Copperhead
Pellet Pro
Char-Griller kettle
Blackstone Griddle

Maybe:
Jimmy
Red Box

No love for the griddle? Man, I couldn’t live without my griddle!

Baychilla 03-07-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4280782)
[emoji15]well now! Ain’t that a quick turn of events?!?! Can’t wait to see you join the family :)

Why do all your posts have BB code emojis rather than the actual emojis?

rwalters 03-07-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4280827)
Why do all your posts have BB code emojis rather than the actual emojis?

Not sure... I can see them just fine. I use Tapatalk... wonder if that could be it.

Prneum 03-07-2020 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm loving this MAK 1 Star!

rwalters 03-07-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prneum (Post 4280831)
I'm loving this MAK 1 Star!

Nice! What temp and how long did you cook those for? Did you wrap at any point during the cook? I much prefer no wrap, but I understand not everyone is the same.

Prneum 03-07-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4280835)
Nice! What temp and how long did you cook those for? Did you wrap at any point during the cook? I much prefer no wrap, but I understand not everyone is the same.

I tried the smoke setting for an hour then turned it up to 240. I wrapped for an hour and I'm finishing them off now. I put them on 1230.

rwalters 03-07-2020 06:13 PM

It’s been raining all day here in NorCal... which we really need, but all complain when it comes... lol. Who cares, the MAK’s couldn’t care less about rain. Heck, they’re manufactured in Oregon where they know a thing or two about rain... :)

A 9 lb butt on at 4pm... loooow n sloooow for tomorrow’s lunch.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c43bbedd6b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...4e72782334.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6d5f522ec6.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...77a8a96436.jpg

See ya in the morning big boy!

Prneum 03-07-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4280839)
It’s been raining all day here in NorCal... which we really need, but all complain when it comes... lol. Who cares, the MAK’s couldn’t care less about rain. Heck, they’re manufactured in Oregon where they know a thing or two about rain... :)

A 9 lb butt on at 4pm... loooow n sloooow for tomorrow’s lunch.

See ya in the morning big boy!

That looks outstanding and the butt looks good too!:wink:

Eads Ranch 03-07-2020 06:45 PM

So who upgraded their 1 Star with the Flame Zone? Trying to decide.

Sparky9 03-07-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ever3 (Post 4280195)

Very nice, I can’t wait to get mine. How long did shipping take?

KevinJ 03-07-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eads Ranch (Post 4280847)
So who upgraded their 1 Star with the Flame Zone? Trying to decide.

I did and no regrets, grill gets up to temps quicker and is more efficient so it uses less fuel during the cook, if you do it order the full upper grate it fits perfectly over the flame zone as the bottom grate and you can use one of the bottom grates as a half upper grate and I use the FZ often for reverse sears and grilling. The main reason I didn't purchase a 2 Star is because I have limited space with a small covered patio and the 1 Star has a smaller foot print width wise, plus I like the looks of the 1 Star better, I blame it on my Army background. :crazy:

4ever3 03-07-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky9 (Post 4280861)
Very nice, I can’t wait to get mine. How long did shipping take?

Ordered Monday afternoon, got it Friday morning, crazy fast!

4ever3 03-07-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Lets DO THIS!!!

ebijack 03-07-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke ninja (Post 4280776)
Wow. Tom's crossing over to the dark side. He's a tough critic.......if he's satisfied with it MAK can turn anyone

Dang gum straight! :thumb:
I will be giving my reviews. After/as I learn it.

I cooked/smoked yard bird today (and baloney) burning pure wood. Which I haven't done since early fall. (had ran out of wood and I don't like burning pure wood in single or negative temps any more. I'm old)
I forgot how good burning pure wood really is. Really.
I am hoping for the 90% as good!

alias_rice 03-07-2020 08:06 PM

I'm a week into my Mak 2 star cooking. I have done pork butt, ribs, burgers, steak and a brisket that is still resting. So far so good. I still can't quite fathom how much smoke this sucker puts out. So much more than any other pellet smoker I have used. Did the burgers great, though I do like a little more steak sear than this can give. This was expected and I am good with it. When I bought I also bought a 3/4 shelf and a grill grate. I think I want to add a full shelf, the other grill grate and the front shelf. I also definitely need a stronger cleaner than the stainless steel fridge cleaner I have.

I also bought the wifi but haven't set it up yet. I figure I want to learn the pit for a while before I go full lazy. But full lazy is definitely on my horizon. There is nothing quite like the convenience of a pellet grill. I smoked a brisket for 14.5 hours today while also getting a full nights sleep, spending a few hours at baseball practice with the kid, and waxing a few pairs of skis.

Sparky9 03-07-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ever3 (Post 4280866)
Ordered Monday afternoon, got it Friday morning, crazy fast!

Thanks! I ordered mine on Wednesday so it should be here before the weekend. :razz:

ebijack 03-07-2020 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure smoke ninja will be borrowing the Mak this summer. For one of his party's.
Steve is already a pellet head... sort of. :shocked:

pjtexas1 03-07-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4280786)
No love for the griddle? Man, I couldn’t live without my griddle!

None! It's my least used cooker. Did I mention my wife and daughter swear bugs are jumping in the food as I cook? [emoji23]

pjtexas1 03-07-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4280828)
Not sure... I can see them just fine. I use Tapatalk... wonder if that could be it.

Do mine do this too? I'm also on Tapatalk.

Sparky9 03-07-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4280878)
Do mine do this too? I'm also on Tapatalk.

Can’t see yours either broski.

pjtexas1 03-07-2020 09:04 PM

I did have the wifi disconnect twice today. It's 22 feet from the router with a brick wall and 1 interior wall between. It took a manual button push to reconnect. Then it was fine for 6 hours. Tech support is M-F only.

I tried really hard to get the hopper to tunnel. It didn't happen until there was less than half a pound of pellets left. Very good design! I think it beeped a few times. I'm guessing it was trying to tell me the pellets were low but it didn't display anything.

I used LJ apple on chicken and I could still taste smoke. It's usually a very mild smoke on my other pellet cookers. I cooked beef ribs with the hickory Mak sent. Won't know until later tonight if the smoke is better as I had to leave. It did smell awesome.

I cooked everything in pans. Next time I'll foil the drip pan and see which I prefer.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7b267269d0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b38b7f3ff1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...50ac5b1d52.jpg