The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

1FUNVET 08-27-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel00 (Post 1382772)
I am going to use turkey thermometers on my next build. However, for the life of me I cannot find the post or reference to the little inlet things that people use to insert the thermometer through. Does anyone remember what they are called or what to look for at the hardware store?

If you have access to a drill press, just get a ss bolt and drill it out to the diameter of the probe on therometer. Drill drum for bolt and use nut on inside.

Southern Home Boy 08-27-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 1383057)
It works two ways. 1 is to "stretch" the capacity from 2 to 4 grill grates and 2 is for a rotisserie ring.

Like this?
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...UDSReady-1.jpg

Did you make that or did you get it from someone else?

energyzer 08-27-2010 02:07 PM

WA HOO, old honey drum is on its way. You guys are in so much trouble with my wife!

colonel00 08-27-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1FUNVET (Post 1383088)
If you have access to a drill press, just get a ss bolt and drill it out to the diameter of the probe on therometer. Drill drum for bolt and use nut on inside.

That isnt a bad idea. I wish I could remember where I saw the things I am thinking of. It was such a simple little thing that would work for thermos and temp probes

1FUNVET 08-27-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energyzer (Post 1383192)
WA HOO, old honey drum is on its way. You guys are in so much trouble with my wife!

She does not where we live :heh::heh:

AustinKnight 08-27-2010 04:32 PM

Hay ya'll this is a awesome forum I built a uds and have really read all the way to 290 pages! Well I've got it primed and almost ready to paint I'm seasoning it now, I have a question though my friend is a bad ass artist and my grandfather past about a month ago and I kinda want him to do a portrait of him and then when he's finished painting it with whatever paint he uses I go over his work with Clear engine paint enamel to lock it all in do you think it will seal it in and the picture will be ok to last. I'm not sure what kind of paint he will use for the portrait but I'm sure it will be like air brush stuff Thx ahead of time.

D.F. Expat 08-27-2010 04:35 PM

If you want to be sure it will last why not look in to a powder coat finish on the drum, then your friend can paint whatever he wants on top of that?

energyzer 08-27-2010 04:44 PM

I haven't found a pictorial yet of what the fire basket looks like when it is loaded. Some of have referenced the "menion method". Can you tell me what is the best way to set up your basket, and get it lit. I do not have a weed burner, so can it be lit, and then dropped into the drum? Keep in mind with your explainations, I am a rookie smoker. I have never used charcoal, only a gas grill. Thanks in advance! Pictures would be great.

AustinKnight 08-27-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Newbie (Post 1383348)
If you want to be sure it will last why not look in to a powder coat finish on the drum, then your friend can paint whatever he wants on top of that?

Hu I don't know much about powder coating anything, I was just going to spray paint the drum white with white engine paint and then spray it with the clear coat engine paint.Is powder coating kinda cheap for a drum?

Southern Home Boy 08-27-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energyzer (Post 1383365)
I haven't found a pictorial yet of what the fire basket looks like when it is loaded. Some of have referenced the "menion method". Can you tell me what is the best way to set up your basket, and get it lit. I do not have a weed burner, so can it be lit, and then dropped into the drum? Keep in mind with your explainations, I am a rookie smoker. I have never used charcoal, only a gas grill. Thanks in advance! Pictures would be great.

The "Minion Method" refers to the act of putting lit charcoal on top of unlit charcoal and allowing the lit coals to slowly light the unlit ones over a long period of time.

The way I do it is to put about 4-5 lbs. of unlit coals mixed with whatever wood I want to use for smoking into the bottom of the basket. Then, I'll position the basket in the UDS where and how I want it.

Then, depending on how hot I want the temps to be, I'll put anywhere from 10 - 30 coals (if I'm using briquettes - lump is a little more by "feel") in a chimney starter and get them lit.

Once they're all ashed over, I simply dump the lit coals on top of the pile in the basket, open up my intakes and exhaust and let the temps get to where I want them. When they get a little above my desired cooking temp, I shut down everything except the exhaust and whatever intakes I know I need to maintain my particular temp.

Tout Fin and ready to cook in about 1/2 an hour.

AustinKnight 08-27-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

I use a chimney starter with 10 briskets then dump it in the basket.Hope this helps :-P

1FUNVET 08-27-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Start off with 10-12. It might take a little longer to get up to temp in UDS, bit i've found it easier than bringing temp down if it gets too hot.

BlueHowler 08-27-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

I've only done three smoking sessions and do not have either a weed burner or chimney. What I use is called Diamond strike-a-fire they look like giant matches.

I fill my fire basket with lump and some hardwood then strike one of the giant matches then place it on top of the lump then I place a few of the smaller chunks of lump on top of that.

After a couple of minutes I place the basket in my UDS and wait until the temp is good, place the meat and lid on , adjust my air intake.

Haven't had a problem yet.

N8man 08-27-2010 05:25 PM

Charcoal Basket Loaded...
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...al_Basket4.jpg

Charcoal Lit then Ashed Over...
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...m/Starter5.jpg

Charcoal Added to Basket For Minion Method Burn....
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...oalsReady6.jpg

Hope this helps all.....

D.F. Expat 08-27-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinKnight (Post 1383378)
Hu I don't know much about powder coating anything, I was just going to spray paint the drum white with white engine paint and then spray it with the clear coat engine paint.Is powder coating kinda cheap for a drum?

It is worth calling around for, I was quoted between 50 and 200 bucks depending on what i wanted IE 1500 degree protection or basic. A basic powder coat will hold up fine at the temps we run on the drum though and it looks great. Unfortunately I had to move before I could get it done so I am now looking for a place here to do it.