The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

michiana mark 06-25-2008 12:07 PM

Kidcurry, with enlarging your 8 holes to .5' you will equal one 2' opening. The 2' exhaust works well on mine.

134k 06-25-2008 01:51 PM

I decided to try building my first UDS after running across this forum while doing a search on google for a DIY smoker. I'll post pics of my buildup once the drum gets here, and hopefully this can help someone else out as well. I went through 60 pages of this thread, and well most if not all my questions were answered.

STX Cue 06-25-2008 01:54 PM

Man I wish I had seen those photos before I built mine, Norco. Mine turned out well, but I would have done some things differently for sure!

BigdogKC 06-26-2008 12:34 PM

I have a question that will hopefully DRUM up some more UDS conversations...

I found some more Drums because my brother-in-law wants to build one now as well, but they are sealed at both ends. I was reading a post on here about some one cutting off the lid, but my question is... Do I then have to go with a Weber lid, or can i put the cut piece back on it?

Dr_KY 06-26-2008 06:06 PM

Weber .

Norcoredneck 06-26-2008 08:57 PM

Weber lids don't fit most drums. There is a kingsford 22.5 grill that fits better. Groceries stores of sometimes Lowes or CVS has them .

BubbaCan2 06-26-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bp27703 (Post 653366)
Have any of you guys used a UDS with a guru attached?

I use one on windy days - works great

Meat Burner 06-26-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 672652)
Weber lids don't fit most drums. There is a kingsford 22.5 grill that fits better. Groceries stores of sometimes Lowes or CVS has them .

:confused::confused::confused: Norco, my brethren... maybe a geographic difference but a lot of the drums here are taylor made for the weber lids. Many around here are livestock supplements. We both know drums are different and I take my weber lid with me when looking to buy a drum. Always respect you comments!!

Kidcurry73 06-26-2008 10:30 PM

I got 4 drums here, the lids falls into each, actually the entire kettle will fit in it with out the handles...taking a lid with you when you look for drums is a good idea!!

Norcoredneck 06-27-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 672710)
:confused::confused::confused: Norco, my brethren... maybe a geographic difference but a lot of the drums here are taylor made for the weber lids. Many around here are livestock supplements. We both know drums are different and I take my weber lid with me when looking to buy a drum. Always respect you comments!!

Wish they were like that here. I know Swampb cuts the top off a kettle to get them to fit. Maybe they swell west of the Rockies!

Garth57 06-27-2008 12:54 AM

You must be at work Norco! I'm going to Hesperia this weekend if you're off, can come along.

STX Cue 06-27-2008 01:50 PM

The place I get my drums has a tool that will roll the edge and bend it in for you if that is what you need. Must be different sizes for different purposes. If anybody needs drums ever gets around San Antonio, bring a trailer. This guy says he has about 10,000 in different sizes, shapes, and materials. I would have guessed more, looking at the place. They will cut them, drill them, roll the tops, anything you need done. They have some 500 gallon plastic ones that I am thinking about trying to convince my 3 year old is a swimming pool....

Walking Dude 06-28-2008 03:32 PM

22 inch grate

okay...........only up to page 53 of this long thread, but thought i would jump to the end, and ask this question.......

My drum is only 22 1/4 inside dia., so the weber grate won't werk........does anyone know where i can find a 22 inch grate?

TIA.....

Meat Burner 06-28-2008 03:39 PM

Take a weber lid with you is VERY VERY GOOD ADVISE!!!!!!!!

ipls3355 06-28-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Dude (Post 673808)
okay...........only up to page 53 of this long thread, but thought i would jump to the end, and ask this question.......

My drum is only 22 1/4 inside dia., so the weber grate won't werk........does anyone know where i can find a 22 inch grate?

TIA.....

Check off brands. I got 22" grates at Rural King here in Mattoon. They don't flip up like the webers do, but they were only $10 each.