The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

cliffordsimmons 06-29-2010 09:17 PM

To season, do I just build, cover with lard and light some coals???

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8man (Post 1322425)
Don't Paint the Inside!!! Season it instead with Lard or Veggie Oil.....
No telling what kind of fumes will outgas nearest the lit coals...

jetfxr27 06-29-2010 11:15 PM

Sand interior to bare metal. Wash with Tide or dawn. Dry. Wipe a thin coat of veg oil inside, just enough to keep from rusting. Buy the cheapest sausage you can find , MAKE A BIG OL FATTY AND SMOKE IT. Let it go until it cant go no mo. Seasoned. Now do some butts to really build up some good pit seasoning.

kwas68 06-30-2010 08:44 AM

I’d like your thoughts as my plans and parts are coming together.

My plan is to use open both sides of the drum. I will use a lid on the bottom and a Weber lid on the top. From reading through the thread, it seems like having both ends open will help with cleaning.

I don’t own a weed burner so I was thinking that I would place the full basket (on standoffs of course) on the flat lid, place the lit charcoal in the basket, and then set the drum on the lid. This is basically what I do with my bullet smoker. I’m in decent shape so I don’t worry about the lifting. Will the weight of the drum be enough to seal against the lid? I have a ring but it seems like it would be a PITA.

I’m hoping to get the expanded metal today for the basket today. Was wondering if there is downside to making the basket higher (about 20”) so that it could hold a diffuser or water bowl up on its own? Please remember that I’m a bullet smoker guy that would like the option although I’ve read that I won’t need or want it.

fat_bastard 06-30-2010 08:52 AM

If I recall from the thread, somebody tried opening both ends and sitting the barrel on the bottom lid and had a hard time keeping temp control due to leaks. IIRC he also used the ring.

AJP 06-30-2010 12:12 PM

To clean mine I have a pan under my charcoal basket so that brings up most of the ash. If I really need to get in there and clean I use a ho to scrape around and get things out.

I have never wished I could take the bottom off and get in it. Just seems like more trouble than it is worth and air leakage.

TalonBrew 06-30-2010 12:21 PM

Gents,

I did my second run on the UDS yesterday. Being Colorado, the wind was blowing 20-25 all afternoon. To get to 250* I had to have the ball valve open all the way and at times I had to take two caps off. All my openings are 1/2 " (soon to change.... I'm goin got put 3/4 in openings in). At times, smoke would come out the air intakes as the wind would cause reverse air flow.

My question has to do with my exhaust. I'm using the bung, with a threaded 5" pipe on it, and I leave the small bung open as well. Do I need more exhaust openings? Is there somethign else I'm going to need to add seeing that it's windy here all the time? The airflow was sufficient the first smoke, but a little weak, that's why I'm going to change the 1/2 " openings out for 3/4", but there was no wind. Yesterday, it just never seemed to get rocking.

Thanks. I tried searching for this but couldn't come up with the answers.

Keith

fat_bastard 06-30-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJP (Post 1324555)
To clean mine I have a pan under my charcoal basket so that brings up most of the ash. If I really need to get in there and clean I use a ho to scrape around and get things out.

I have never wished I could take the bottom off and get in it. Just seems like more trouble than it is worth and air leakage.

Personally, I prefer the Shop-Vac-mod

AJP 06-30-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fat_bastard (Post 1324575)
Personally, I prefer the Shop-Vac-mod

I would to if I owned a shop-vac :becky:

fat_bastard 06-30-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJP (Post 1324578)
I would to if I owned a shop-vac :becky:

Lowes has a 6(?) gallon 3HP one for $45 right now

AJP 06-30-2010 12:32 PM

The ho was $3 at Wal-Mart. Can't think of what else I would use a shop-vac for.

fat_bastard 06-30-2010 12:35 PM

True, I have other uses for it as well.

Gonesledn 06-30-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalonBrew (Post 1324574)
Gents,

I did my second run on the UDS yesterday. Being Colorado, the wind was blowing 20-25 all afternoon. To get to 250* I had to have the ball valve open all the way and at times I had to take two caps off. All my openings are 1/2 " (soon to change.... I'm goin got put 3/4 in openings in). At times, smoke would come out the air intakes as the wind would cause reverse air flow.

My question has to do with my exhaust. I'm using the bung, with a threaded 5" pipe on it, and I leave the small bung open as well. Do I need more exhaust openings? Is there somethign else I'm going to need to add seeing that it's windy here all the time? The airflow was sufficient the first smoke, but a little weak, that's why I'm going to change the 1/2 " openings out for 3/4", but there was no wind. Yesterday, it just never seemed to get rocking.

Thanks. I tried searching for this but couldn't come up with the answers.

Keith

i am no expert, but 5" exhaust seems way too big.. plus a small hole as well.

i run a simple 2" exhaust on mine, and runs sweet. i think you are tking in too much air in the exhaust as opposed to the intake.

AJP 06-30-2010 02:52 PM

Yeah I run a 2" exhaust and 1 3/4" ball valve 3/4 open to get 235ish.

NASCARican 06-30-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonesledn (Post 1324698)
i am no expert, but 5" exhaust seems way too big.. plus a small hole as well.

i run a simple 2" exhaust on mine, and runs sweet. i think you are tking in too much air in the exhaust as opposed to the intake.

I think he means 5" long...if he had a 5" piece of pipe on the lid, that would be like taking the lid off. I think you need 3/4" intakes with a full port valve on at least one to dial it in.

TalonBrew 06-30-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NASCARican (Post 1324801)
I think he means 5" long...if he had a 5" piece of pipe on the lid, that would be like taking the lid off. I think you need 3/4" intakes with a full port valve on at least one to dial it in.

Yeah.... sorry. That's what i meant.

OK... I'll drill out the 1/2" nipples and put in two or three 3/4" ones.

Thanks guys. Ribs this weekend....:-D