The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sliced Pork Rather Than Pulled (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183999)

jpalaska 03-17-2014 07:34 AM

Sliced Pork Rather Than Pulled

I know that what I'm about to say is heresy in my newly adopted North Carolina. But, I'm just not that crazy about pulled or shredded meats.
As you probably know, BBQed Boston Butt is the 'go to' meat in this neck of the woods.

I think I'd prefer trying to cook a shoulder for slicing instead of pulling.
Would I want to cook it less time in the WSM than if I was cooking it for pulling? Would a chunk of shoulder be better for slicing than a whole 8-10 lb shoulder?

thanks,
JP

Garrett 03-17-2014 07:42 AM

I always cook to be able to pull it, but if I wanted slices I would try cooking to an IT between 180 and 190. That would just be me guessing cause you wouldn't want it to be probe tender to make slices.

pmad 03-17-2014 07:48 AM

I had sliced at Arthur Bryant's in KC.
It was fantastic.

Jaskew82 03-17-2014 07:59 AM

I purchase a small section of a boston butt from my local grocer this weekend. It was actually the money muscle section with a bit more from behind it. All dark meat and was fantastic. I cut a pocket into it, stuffed it with some precooked apples, onion, bread, etc.

I thew it on the BGE @ around 375 deg and cooked 90 minutes when the temp hit around 165 internal. I let it rest and sliced it at around 1/4 thick. It was very good.

Sliced pork is excellent - nothing to be ashamed of. I recommend cooking to around 160 degrees.

jpalaska 03-17-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett (Post 2845024)
I always cook to be able to pull it, but if I wanted slices I would try cooking to an IT between 180 and 190. That would just be me guessing cause you wouldn't want it to be probe tender to make slices.

Thanks Garret,
What is 'probe tender'?

JP

castlepines 03-17-2014 08:15 AM

This is the time you cook a butt to a temp rather than probe tender. I agree that 160-165 should do it, just like other pork products. Although 140 is the new accepted temp for pork, theres a lot more connective tissue in pork butt.

Probe tender: take something like a meat probe, thermometer probe, bamboo skewer, etc. When the meat is done the probe should slide right into it with very little effort. The connective tissue provides resistance. Once that is broken down, there is no resistance and the probe slides right in.

Lake Dogs 03-17-2014 11:35 AM

What they all said above; probably looking right at 180-185 internal temp to render as much fat and break down the tendons, etc.; no more...

That said, may I inquire as to why you prefer sliced vs. pulled? I ask this because there is a difference in pulled pork and shredded pork (which a lot of people call pulled). Shredded tends to get dry and loses a lot of the flavor. Pulled, if left in chunks roughly the size of your thumb, tends to hold the moisture and flavor MUCH better. I love pulled pork, and frankly dont care for shredded pork.

jpalaska 03-17-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Dogs (Post 2845361)
What they all said above; probably looking right at 180-185 internal temp to render as much fat and break down the tendons, etc.; no more...

That said, may I inquire as to why you prefer sliced vs. pulled? I ask this because there is a difference in pulled pork and shredded pork (which a lot of people call pulled). Shredded tends to get dry and loses a lot of the flavor. Pulled, if left in chunks roughly the size of your thumb, tends to hold the moisture and flavor MUCH better. I love pulled pork, and frankly dont care for shredded pork.

I don't know, maybe the pulled pork I've had so far has been more like the consistency of shredded meat. I think I'd like it better if I tried a portion with a little more bark and fat in it.

JP

SmittyJonz 03-17-2014 01:45 PM

I prefer chopped pork vs pulled/shredded - lil different taste n texture. I do butts but I take them off at IT of 185-190* and let them rest 1 hr then chunk n dice n chopp them. I also prefer Pork Shoulder Picnic cuz it has stronger taste. By the way Pork Butt Burnt Ends are Fantastalisous!!!!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=182490

Rusty Kettle 03-17-2014 01:56 PM

190 is the sweet spot for sliced boneless seems better for slicing than bone in but bone in is better for pulled. Bit of bbq sauce over slices is really good.

gtr 03-17-2014 02:33 PM

I like pulled, chopped, shredded - all that - and I also really like sliced. I've had some very good sliced pork bbq - nothing wrong with that at all, and, as previously stated, you're looking at around 190 or maybe a little less for that methinks.

jpalaska 03-17-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtr (Post 2845624)
I like pulled, chopped, shredded - all that - and I also really like sliced. I've had some very good sliced pork bbq - nothing wrong with that at all, and, as previously stated, you're looking at around 190 or maybe a little less for that methinks.

Thanks. BTW, I love your dog's photo. Years ago I had a Doberman who lost an eye. Penny was one of the sweetest dogs I ever had.

JP

bwram1 03-17-2014 03:00 PM

Pop into Belk in Morganton tomorrow and I'll try to change your mind about pulled...got 2 butts on the smoker as we speak.

4.5 hours into the cook
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...psb5c13b06.jpg

BigBellyBBQ 03-17-2014 03:05 PM

I have several customers that want it sliced, I cook to internal of 175,
160-165 did not seem tender however very tasty, flavor profile is different sliced.

N8man 03-17-2014 03:25 PM

when I do sliced, I cook pork picnics to around 170-180 internal temp and, this is the most important part, wrap tightly and rest for at least an hour, two is better, before slicing...lets the juices redistribute....mighty tasty!!!