The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   smoked Chuck roast (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276938)

cmwr 11-16-2019 05:15 PM

smoked Chuck roast

How come all the recipes for smoked chuck roast say internal of 180 or 190 for a finishing temperature? Why wouldn't you want it similar to a brisket say 204-205?

savagebrood 11-16-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmwr (Post 4245361)
How come all the recipes for smoked chuck roast say internal of 180 or 190 for a finishing temperature? Why wouldn't you want it similar to a brisket say 204-205?

Depends on the application for the roast. If you want to slice it, 160° is fine. If you want to pull it like pork, you have to get it to 195 internal. The chuck comes from a working muscle just above the brisket and needs time to render fat and connective tissue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cmwr 11-16-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savagebrood (Post 4245369)
Depends on the application for the roast. If you want to slice it, 160° is fine. If you want to pull it like pork, you have to get it to 195 internal. The chuck comes from a working muscle just above the brisket and needs time to render fat and connective tissue.

I want to slice it like brisket. But brisket you usually cook two around 205 and its fall apart tender. If I cook a chuck to 160 and slice it won't it be tough? I just want to be able to slice it and have the slice fold over your finger like a well-done brisket and I didn't think 160 or 180 would accomplish that? I did some chuck roast a few weeks ago and the flavor was awesome but they were rather tough.

BuffettFan 11-16-2019 05:59 PM

I've smoked quite a few of them.
I treat them just like brisket.
Cook them to probe tender, then slice or pull.

cmwr 11-16-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffettFan (Post 4245374)
I've smoked quite a few of them.
I treat them just like brisket.
Cook them to probe tender, then slice or pull.

This is what I was planning on doing. but when I cook a pork shoulder or a brisket to probe tender it's usually around 205 degrees. When I googled smoked chuck roast most people are saying either pull it at 160 or 180 so I got confused because it wouldn't be probe tender at those temperatures I don't think

Monkey Uncle 11-16-2019 07:06 PM

A chuck roast at 160 - 180 likely will be tougher than the sole of your shoe. In my experience, a chuck roast is the hardest cut of beef to get right. It doesn't probe tender until it's 205 F or more, and at that point it is dried out. I quit trying and just stick to brisket now. Brisket is easier, and cheaper too. Save the chuck for pot roast.

cmwr 11-16-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle (Post 4245382)
A chuck roast at 160 - 180 likely will be tougher than the sole of your shoe. In my experience, a chuck roast is the hardest cut of beef to get right. It doesn't probe tender until it's 205 F or more, and at that point it is dried out. I quit trying and just stick to brisket now. Brisket is easier, and cheaper too. Save the chuck for pot roast.

Thanks for the advice but too late.
Lunch is be already scheduled tomorrow. If I wrapped at 160 until probe tender wouldn't it be juicy from being in the foil

BuffettFan 11-16-2019 07:17 PM

I neglected to mention that I wrap them as you mentioned.
I add some beef stock at that time.
They generally turn out tender and juicy.

drunkenmeatfist 11-16-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmwr (Post 4245376)
This is what I was planning on doing. but when I cook a pork shoulder or a brisket to probe tender it's usually around 205 degrees. When I googled smoked chuck roast most people are saying either pull it at 160 or 180 so I got confused because it wouldn't be probe tender at those temperatures I don't think

Doing a general Google search can be problematic. I always search this site if I have a question and then branch out if I can't find my answer here. It is rare that I don't find it here though.

savagebrood 11-16-2019 07:28 PM

smoked Chuck roast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmwr (Post 4245372)
I want to slice it like brisket. But brisket you usually cook two around 205 and its fall apart tender. If I cook a chuck to 160 and slice it won't it be tough? I just want to be able to slice it and have the slice fold over your finger like a well-done brisket and I didn't think 160 or 180 would accomplish that? I did some chuck roast a few weeks ago and the flavor was awesome but they were rather tough.

If you get to 205° you’re not slicing it. It will be confetti because of the way the grain runs - top to bottom of the roast rather than side to side. I’d just smoke it and pull into chunks. See pic below.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac385eca0f.jpg

morgan-que 11-16-2019 08:27 PM

Just make pepper stout beef!!

cmwr 11-16-2019 09:41 PM

I am understanding now. Maybe wrap. At 160 until 180ish internal?

cmwr 11-16-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savagebrood (Post 4245391)
If you get to 205° you’re not slicing it. It will be confetti because of the way the grain runs - top to bottom of the roast rather than side to side. I’d just smoke it and pull into chunks. See pic below.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac385eca0f.jpg

Understood thanks. I never thought about the differences in the grain between the two cuts.

cmwr 11-16-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist (Post 4245388)
Doing a general Google search can be problematic. I always search this site if I have a question and then branch out if I can't find my answer here. It is rare that I don't find it here though.

Won't argue there! That's why I came back here. This place is full of good answers

Monkey Uncle 11-17-2019 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmwr (Post 4245383)
Thanks for the advice but too late.
Lunch is be already scheduled tomorrow. If I wrapped at 160 until probe tender wouldn't it be juicy from being in the foil

I did exactly that on my last chuck and it turned out dry. I didn't add any liquid, though.