The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

BadHorsieBBQ 03-03-2010 09:29 PM

Thanks blackdog043. I am running it wide open now. It is a cool 48 degree night don't know if I can get it over 380 where it has been holding for a while.

UVaJester 03-03-2010 10:02 PM

What do most people coat the inside of the drum with before seasoning..?!?

BadHorsieBBQ 03-03-2010 10:33 PM

I have seen pam spray mentioned quite a bit.

Boshizzle 03-03-2010 10:36 PM

Pam will work but lard is best.

Woodbutcher 03-04-2010 07:40 AM

Hey Guys ..... I'm picking up a drum today and I have a few questions about building my UDS. How hot does the bottom get? Will installing casters raise it high enough that it won't be a problem? I noticed that Bigmista uses some kind of planter under his fire box. I guess that keeps some of the heat off the bottom. I'm new here so please bear with me.

Phubar 03-04-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVaJester (Post 1203690)
What do most people coat the inside of the drum with before seasoning..?!?


If you have vegetable oil you can use that as well...

h20loo 03-04-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVaJester (Post 1203690)
What do most people coat the inside of the drum with before seasoning..?!?

Remember why you are seasoning it and throw a couple fatties on. The UDS will be nicely seasoned, you will have your first pron and your family will be sold after their first bite. Fatties are almost mistake proof so temp swings are not a problem.

Yleekyoti 03-04-2010 01:59 PM

WalMArt has weber knockoff 22.5 cooking grates for 12 dollars. My ribs will never know the difference. They are just a bit thinner than the weber grates.

Bubblehead 03-04-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodyQ (Post 1203888)
Hey Guys ..... I'm picking up a drum today and I have a few questions about building my UDS. How hot does the bottom get? Will installing casters raise it high enough that it won't be a problem? I noticed that Bigmista uses some kind of planter under his fire box. I guess that keeps some of the heat off the bottom. I'm new here so please bear with me.

I have mine on three evenly spaced bricks and it does not affect the wooden deck it's sitting on. The barrel doesn't really get that hot anyway.

wheelterrapin 03-04-2010 05:08 PM

When I purchased my Ole Hickory CTO Smoker I had an executive chef tell me to get a pound of bacon and lay on the racks and crank the smoker up. Just another idea.



Quote:

Originally Posted by UVaJester (Post 1203690)
What do most people coat the inside of the drum with before seasoning..?!?


Sterling 03-04-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodyQ (Post 1203888)
Hey Guys ..... I'm picking up a drum today and I have a few questions about building my UDS. How hot does the bottom get? Will installing casters raise it high enough that it won't be a problem? I noticed that Bigmista uses some kind of planter under his fire box. I guess that keeps some of the heat off the bottom. I'm new here so please bear with me.

You don't want to drill holes in the bottom of the barrel if you want to keep the missus happy. She won't be keen on dripping grease all over the deck or patio. Just prop the barrel up on three bricks and you're good to go. As has been said, the bottom does not get that hot.

Sterling Skouson

Marty 03-04-2010 06:48 PM

? fired up uds on sunday cooked 2 chickens and a fatty.could not get the temp below 275. usd RO lump 1/3 chimney to start and 7lbs in basket top vents wide open ball valve open about 1/8 why can't i get it to 225?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 03-04-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty (Post 1204716)
? fired up uds on sunday cooked 2 chickens and a fatty.could not get the temp below 275. usd RO lump 1/3 chimney to start and 7lbs in basket top vents wide open ball valve open about 1/8 why can't i get it to 225?

Tell us more about your design. Is you lid sealed well?

NASCARican 03-04-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yleekyoti (Post 1204344)
WalMArt has weber knockoff 22.5 cooking grates for 12 dollars. My ribs will never know the difference. They are just a bit thinner than the weber grates.

That brand also come with hinges!! I opted for the cheaper version @ biglots $29.95. The grills are for crap, but the lid is usable.

Marty 03-04-2010 06:54 PM

weber lid sealed well. 3 -1 inch pipe nipples welded into bottom of drum 2closed during cook also have flat lid have not tried it


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.