The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

thirdeye 01-30-2007 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motley que
for a butt or brisket, how often do you flip?

After about 2 hours, then again around 4 hours.

Bigmista 01-30-2007 10:49 AM

I cant remember flipping...

Norcoredneck 01-30-2007 06:42 PM

Thirdeye, noticed your cooking grate looks as clean as the new one I have in my garage. What do you use to clean it?

thirdeye 01-30-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck
Thirdeye, noticed your cooking grate looks as clean as the new one I have in my garage. What do you use to clean it?

Those are the Weber grates, they have that bright finish anyway. It was fairly new in that picture, but I spray them with pam and then wipe them down at the end of the cook when still warm.

swamprb 01-31-2007 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista
I cant remember flipping...

Mista-Are you a mopper or spritzer?

ThomEmery 01-31-2007 08:12 AM

If you use a Rib rack one end of the Ribs will be MUCH more done than the other

Bigmista 01-31-2007 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamprb
Mista-Are you a mopper or spritzer?

A spritzer when I wrap. Otherwise, I leave em alone.

Smokin Gator 01-31-2007 08:59 AM

FYI... my brother got a Weber Kettle lid by calling Weber directly. I think he said it was $57 or something like that.

ModelMaker 01-31-2007 12:05 PM

I don't know what the difference is but when I pull the lid on my drum the temp always drops then climbs back up. All most all you guys plus the BDS site say the temp spikes when you remove the lid.
The only difference on mine is a door for loading the firebox, but Mistas' drum has a door.
Mista does your temp go up or down?
ModelMaker

Smokin Gator 01-31-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModelMaker
I don't know what the difference is but when I pull the lid on my drum the temp always drops then climbs back up. All most all you guys plus the BDS site say the temp spikes when you remove the lid.
The only difference on mine is a door for loading the firebox, but Mistas' drum has a door.
Mista does your temp go up or down?
ModelMaker

Mine does drop while the top is off if that is what you mean. However, when I put it back on I found I get a big spike unless I choked the fire for a few minutes before I opened the lid.

Are you saying that after you put the top back on your temp still drops?

brdbbq 01-31-2007 12:38 PM

What type of businees are you all finding drums at ?

swamprb 01-31-2007 12:44 PM

Version 1 has 4 Weber daisy wheel vents with 3/4" holes and an 18.5" kettle bottom for coals (think BGE) and I had much better drafting and the temps did not really fluctuate that much when I opened the lid and it steadily cruised at 250-275* for over 11hrs. It's a 35" drum.
#2 is a 38" 2 rack clone and I fought the temps every time I turned the ribs. I'm going to tweak it a little and keep see what develops. I put an ad on Craigslist and found a guy that deals in Bee pollen and Echinacea has a supply of unlined food grade drums. $20 each delivered!
Love that smell!

Smokin Gator 01-31-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brdbbq
What type of businees are you all finding drums at ?

I found mine at an industrial machine repair shop. They get mineral oil in the drums. Other places to try: automotive repair shops, recycle centers, scrap metal dealers

jgh1204 02-24-2007 08:29 PM

The brethren microwave kicks butt again. Did 1 rack of spares and 4 slabs of beef ribs. 3 hours. Held 220 steady the entire time.

swamprb 02-24-2007 08:58 PM

2 small briskets getting dusted for Sunday on ol' Ugly!