The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

thirdeye 01-23-2007 07:43 PM

[quote=Norcoredneck]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh1204
The ash was choking out the fire. I had to take out the food and clean off the coals and it climbed back up to 230 pretty quickly. I was using Royal Oak.quote]

Back in past thread Thirdeye posted a set of jiggler hooks he made to shake the basket in his original BDS.

Yep, I modeled the wiggle rod after these that I made for my Eggs. I used larger 1/4" stainless for the BDS rod to make it a little more manly. LOL I get at least 2 or 3 hours more out of the lump by wiggling it a couple of times during a cook. I actually don't shake the basket, but the "L" reaches into the bottom of the basket and gets wiggled from side to side. The few times I used briquettes, a wiggle really came in handy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...2/7797cc51.jpg

Piedmont 01-24-2007 03:47 AM

Shake your coals

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista
I use the mesquite lump. i guess that might be the only time the door really comes in handy. I can reach in and shake the charcoal basket so the ash will fall without moving the grates.

I heard of someone that rigged up a metal rod that was attached to the coal basket and ran the rod through a hole in the side of the cooker so all they had to do was give it jiggle once in a while.

Norcoredneck 01-24-2007 03:53 AM

We live in earthquake country. No need to manually do it :-D

Piedmont 01-24-2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck
We live in earthquake country. No need to manually do it :-D

Ahh yes, harnessing Mother Nature's power! What a concept! : )

iceboxbbq 01-24-2007 04:58 PM

Well found me a 55gal juice drum need to burn off tan coating on the inside so I can build one of these too I think somebody started something here

swamprb 01-24-2007 05:31 PM

Just got off the phone with a guy that has 38" tall 55 gallon food grade unlined drums that he imports bee pollen from Australia in and he will deliver to me for $20 each. My nipples are hard.

kybirdman40004 01-24-2007 06:05 PM

i have a couple ?'s does anyone know where i could possible find a drum cheap delivered to kentucky and how does the weber kettle grill cover fit the 55 gallon drum and is there a tight fit i see most drums are 25 in diameter and kettle cover is 24.5 in diameter any info would greatly appreciated thanks birdman

ThomEmery 01-24-2007 07:55 PM

MY Kettle lid fits my ol Style BDS just right

Smokin Gator 01-24-2007 08:21 PM

I got my drum yesterday. I picked it up at a place that rebuilds industrial machines. The get mineral oil in them and gave it to me for free. I got the top cut off inside the top roll, got a fire grate and ring at a machine shop. I picked up a Weber Kettle lid out of a trash pile and it fits perfectly... nice and snug but goes on without any coaxing.

I burned it out tonight and bought all of my hardware. For now I am just going to use the cooking grate out of my Weber. I will try to get it all done this weekend and post pictures.

Including the machine shop costs and the hardware it looks like I will have about $50 in mine. I am stoked!!!!

jgh1204 01-24-2007 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamprb
Just got off the phone with a guy that has 38" tall 55 gallon food grade unlined drums that he imports bee pollen from Australia in and he will deliver to me for $20 each. My nipples are hard.

:eek:

Swamp, you need to go into the UDS business. Just give me a $10 royalty for the name.:biggrin: :biggrin:

swamprb 01-25-2007 05:56 AM

Right now it looks like I'm in the scrap metal/burn barrel biz, it's piling up in my truck!

Smokin Gator 01-26-2007 12:30 PM

I installed all my hardware except for my side and lid handles. I cut 4 -3/4 inch holes around the bottom. The bottom cooking rack is 24.5 inches from the charcoal grate. The top rack is 5 inches from the bottom rack.

Did a second burn yesteray and noticed what a difference the air intake holes make. I knew they would it was just interesting seeing how much easier the fire was to start and the difference in the smoke/heat.

Today I am going to step the bottom holes out to 7/8 and screw in the pipe nipples. I hope to get it brushed, sanded, and painted as well.

One kind of disappointment... After putting the bottom cooking grate at 24.5 inches I had to put the top cooking grate right at the top of the drum (my drum is only 35 inches high). I don't think it will be a huge deal as I will do most of the cooking on only one rack anyway. Plus with having the Weber Kettle grill lid I will still have some capacity on the top rack... just not what I was hoping for.

Already looking for a taller drum... This was a pretty easy project!!

I'll post pics after painting and after the first cook tomorrow!

swamprb 01-26-2007 12:51 PM

Got the 2 38" drums last night and will make one with 2 cooking racks. I took the bottom of a kettle and cut the top 2" off of it so I have a ring and I'll slip it in the top of the barrel if I want to use the Weber lid. I'm going to take one of the proto drums and cut a 13" section out of it so I can use it for an expander ring and get more heighth if needed. Keep 'em coming!

Smokin Gator 01-26-2007 04:36 PM

6 Attachment(s)
OK gentlemen... here she is...

Attachment 5484
Original condition of lid and drum...

Attachment 5485
Fire grate and ring...

Attachment 5486
1/2 inch black iron nipples for air intake and to hold fire grate...

Attachment 5487
Charcoal grate and ring in place...

Attachment 5488
Bottom cooking grate in place...

Attachment 5489
Here she sits ready for action.

I will write up what I did later...

I will post pictures and recount the experience of her first cook tomorrow.

ThomEmery 01-26-2007 09:55 PM

Very Nice