The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

motley que 01-13-2007 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista
I could poke my index finge in to about the second knuckle.

thats what she said

ThomEmery 01-13-2007 06:18 PM

We made a charcoal basket out of a metal washing machine drum
Sure would work as a Big Mista Smoker charcoal basket.
Easy to clean up after
The center stud gives you good air flow.

ThomEmery 01-13-2007 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh1204
Well, I think this going down as a failure. As I said, the drum was used to hold apple juice concentrate. Whatever they used to coat the inside of the drum is putting off a funky smell.

Not gonna que in that.

You have to burn that off Ol Rocky at BDS earns his money doing just that
nasty job

Thats why he buys new ones now no coating to deal with

jgh1204 01-13-2007 06:35 PM

Thom, you think it will be ok after a few more burns?

My wife thinks I am crazy for putting $50 into this. She would not understand ordering a $300 BDS, especially when I am considering buying either a Klose BYC or a Spicewine type smoker next year.

ThomEmery 01-13-2007 06:38 PM

Rocky was using apple juice bbls and quit because they are such a pain in the a$$
It takes a long burn to get the coating out of there
He earns the $300 making those BDS Smokers

Wayne 01-13-2007 06:42 PM

Bigmista's drum smoker is a beautiful thing to behold. It looks good and I'll bet it makes some mighty good eats. I saw a similar one here in Wichita that was made from an old propane tank. The fella that was using it said the secret was keeping the meat four feet above the smoldering fire. He had a huge grill area that made it easy to tend to the meat. Follow Bigmista's advise and you will have a smoker that will do you proud and be a man sized conversation piece.

Wayne 01-13-2007 06:51 PM

Bigmista's drum smoker is a beautiful thing to behold. It looks good and I'll bet it makes some mighty good eats. I saw a similar one here in Wichita that was made from an old propane tank. The fella that was using it said the secret was keepint the meat four feet above the smoldering fire. He had a humge grill area that made it easy to tend to the meat. Follow Bigmista's advise and you will have a smoker that will do you proud and be a man sized conversation piece.

Bigmista 01-13-2007 07:20 PM

Thanks Wayne!

I have made a lot of good eats on it. When I put a little more change together, I'm gonna try to hook up with Norco so we can build one together. Share the knowledge and build an even beter smoker...

jgh1204 01-13-2007 07:26 PM

I think part of the smell is the paint baking off the outside as well. I got a dang bonfire going, started to get afraid someone might call the fire dept and then I heard a siren. Luckily it never got close.

I let it burn hot for about 30 minutes, the flames were dancing above the rim. I had just put the lid on when I heard the siren.

I imagine this thing is going to burn all night.

The paint on the outside is about 70% gone.

Lesson learned. If you are living in town, you need to find a new uncoated barrel.

jgh1204 01-13-2007 07:28 PM

Does the 22.5 inch weber kettle lid fit a 55 gallon drum?

swamprb 01-13-2007 09:50 PM

I had to cut the rolled edge off the top of the drum for the Weber to fit. I laid a bead of High-temp silicone gasket on the lid for a more secure fit. The lid that came with the drum needs a little persuading but still fits.

ThomEmery 01-13-2007 10:14 PM

My Webber 22.5 fits my 55

swamprb 01-13-2007 10:41 PM

Do you use the Weber lid much? I set my E-Z-Que Rotisserie ring on it and i'm having visions of rotating old grandpa Q!

Bigmista 01-13-2007 10:51 PM

I use the weber lid when doung whole chickens or turkeys. I just kinda take my time and balance it on the top.

jgh1204 01-14-2007 12:17 AM

Well, it might not be a failure. I had closed the lid on the fire and it had settled down pretty good and we went to eat dinner. When we came back, I figured it was getting late and maybe I could get another good burn going.

So, I added 2 large oak split logs I picked up last year. Then after 30 minutes, I added 2 more. Had a real good fire going. The original green of the barrel was only visible the top 6 inches. Then, I added a bag of small mesquite chunks someone gave me that I wont ever use to make Q.

The fire got real hot and was shooting up almost a foot past the top of the barrel. The rest of the green disappeared. The bottom 2/3rds of the barrel is burnt orange(may have to give this to Jorge if the color does not improve.)

One interesting thing I learned. When you spit on the side of a orange hot barrel, your spit does not sizzle on the side. It bounces off. Pretty cool.

So there is a new saying. Spit bouncing hot.

When I put the lid on, it starting rolling white smoke, so I figured I better take it off and let the fire die down a little more. Did not want the smoke disturbing the neighbors. I was careful to step back because about 5 seconds later, there was a backdraft and flames shot up about 4 feet past the top of the barrel.

I could enjoy this a little more if I was not in the middle of a neighborhood.

Anyway, looks like I might have a usable smoker. The smell disappeared with the last of the green paint.

I am going to babysit this thing another hour or so, but I bet this stays hot until tomorrow afternoon.