The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Oldbob 06-01-2007 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffleg (Post 404144)
Thanks for the quick reply. Which leads to another question - I assume there is some type of cap that screws to the pipe nipple to close off the pipe? And - can you get 1/2 inch pipe nipples at Lowes or Home Depot?

Either place will have the Pipe Nipples,and pipe caps....just be sure to get Black Nipples...Not the Galvanized ones!!...and I would get a few 1/2" conduit lock Nuts also...they will thread right on the nipples ...you could put on on the inside and one on the outside just in case the nipples were fitting to loose,when you tighten the locknuts they will hold the nipple tightly against the barrel.

biffleg 06-01-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 404152)
I did get the PM and sent you the doc via email. I sent it at 8:24 AM. Let me know if you don't get it and I will send it again.

Brent

Just checked and it came through - thanks for that! Think I'll have to go do a little shopping today on my lunch break :wink:

biffleg 06-01-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

While you are there, make sure to check the electrician's nuts (now that could make a heck of an out of context) to see if they will go onto the pipe nipples.

Brent

I can see the wife's face now when I tell her this weekend I'm going out in the garage to play with my nuts and nipples :lol:

biffleg 06-01-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbob (Post 404153)
Either place will have the Pipe Nipples,and pipe caps....just be sure to get Black Nipples...Not the Galvanized ones!!...and I would get a few 1/2" conduit lock Nuts also...they will thread right on the nipples ...you could put on on the inside and one on the outside just in case the nipples were fitting to loose,when you tighten the locknuts they will hold the nipple tightly against the barrel.

That helps ... thanks Bob!

Bigmista 06-01-2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

While you are there, make sure to check the electrician's nuts

If only this were woodpile...

Oldbob 06-01-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

While you are there, make sure to check the electrician's nuts

Brent

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffleg (Post 404156)
I can see the wife's face now when I tell her this weekend I'm going out in the garage to play with my nuts and nipples :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista (Post 404202)
If only this were woodpile...

LMAO:biggrin: :biggrin:

biffleg 06-01-2007 02:05 PM

Went by Lowes at lunch and picked up everything that was on the shopping list (derived from Smokin Gator's document he sent). To ensure airflow won't be a problem though ... I went with 3/4" pipe nipples and accessories. My thought was I would rather have 2 or 3 3/4" pipes capped and available instead of all (3) 1/2" wide open.

Given that ... does anyone have a rough idea of the size hole that needs to be drilled for a 3/4" pipe nipple?

Smokin Gator 06-01-2007 02:29 PM

I originally bought 3/4 inch nipples but couldn't find a step bit that would go that large. Somewhere back in this thread other's have suggested other tools that would cut nice clean round holes, but I don't remember what they were.... sorry!

You will be able to get close to the outside diameter of the pipe nipple by just putting in one a tape measure or ruler.

If you can't figure out a tool for the job, don't hesitate to go with the 1/2 nipples. I usually have 1 open and the one with the ball valve about half open to keep 220-230. If I want to do some chickens a bit higher I open a third. Rarely have I had to open all 4. I have done it a couple of times just to see what kind of temps I could get and 300-325 was a piece of cake.

keale 06-01-2007 02:33 PM

for a 3/4 inch nipple, ......ummmm 3/4 inch drill bit?? :-D You gotta understand whos talking here, I'm "mechanically" disabled"!
I actually had all 4 1/2 inchers, but now I have one 3/4 inch nipple, why? cause the hole I drilled became too big after I filed it down!!:eek: I tell all my buddies its all in the design plan, and its critical to have that one 3/4 inch nipple!:-D

Smokin Gator 06-01-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keale (Post 404262)
for a 3/4 inch nipple, ......ummmm 3/4 inch drill bit?? :-D You gotta understand whos talking here, I'm "mechanically" disabled"!
I actually had all 4 1/2 inchers, but now I have one 3/4 inch nipple, why? cause the hole I drilled became too big after I filed it down!!:eek: I tell all my buddies its all in the design plan, and its critical to have that one 3/4 inch nipple!:-D

LOL... that is one big arse drill bit!!!!

And Keale... doesn't it feel good to fess up and get it off your chest that your drum is designed to have uneven airflow...

You know I am j/k bro....

biffleg 06-01-2007 02:46 PM

Thanks for the responses. My dad says he has the needed bits, etc. - so I'll see what he comes up with and if needed - we go back for the 1/2 inch size!

If you're not tired of seeing another UDS being built ... but I'll try to keep everyone updated as we progress!

ipls3355 06-01-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffleg (Post 404269)
Thanks for the responses. My dad says he has the needed bits, etc. - so I'll see what he comes up with and if needed - we go back for the 1/2 inch size!

If you're not tired of seeing another UDS being built ... but I'll try to keep everyone updated as we progress!

Yes please, I'm planning on doing one myself

swamprb 06-02-2007 04:43 AM

FYI!

While you guy are checking the Electrician's nuts and tightening your nipples, Greenlee makes a step drill bit that I believe will cut to 1 1/2" holes. Both Lowes and HD have them ( @ $50+ ) along with a 7/8" bit ( $35 ) They are kind of hidden near the wiring and conduits.

I'd like to see the progress!

Brian

Norcoredneck 06-02-2007 05:07 AM

I used a 1" hole saw to make a hole where 3/4" pipe nipples screw into
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_1907.jpg

Here is a 3/4" X 1/2" bushing threaded in hole. I welded mine but as I suggested eariler you could lock in with conduit nuts.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_1908.jpg

Here is 3/4" nipple welded.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_1909.jpg

And valve installed
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...neck/valve.jpg

outside ed 06-02-2007 05:30 AM

Nice job there, I stand in awe of you guys that have that mechanical ability. Ed.