The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Oldbob 04-18-2007 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDaddy (Post 381645)
how hot does the bottom of those get? if i built one would i need to put it on a platform to keep it off my patio (concrete).

FatDaddy the following is a previous post from ModelMaker

I have mine sitting on a carpeted dolly and am suprised it hasn't caused any heat damage. Lots of good forward thinking.
Even if you are a "Harley Guy" :}
ModelMaker

Hope this helps You !!

swamprb 04-18-2007 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDaddy (Post 381645)
how hot does the bottom of those get? if i built one would i need to put it on a platform to keep it off my patio (concrete).

Get a drum dolly from Harbor Freight and you can easily roll it around. As long as you keep the temps low it will be OK. If you leave the lid off the temps will jump before you know it.

At the Paul Kirk Pitmaster class I attended we cooked for a Judging class and I did the brisket on the drum and took 4th Place out of 18 teams.

I'm ready to start drilling another drum to use at a Backyard Comp next month. I'll take pics of the process.

Brian

Norcoredneck 04-18-2007 07:08 AM

If you can't get the info off of forum you can spend $24.00.
http://stores.lulu.com/how-to-build-a-smoker. Wonder how many he has sold.

motley que 04-18-2007 09:07 AM

be careful when doing the burnoff of the drum. I killed the grass in a nice 22 inch circular area, wife hated that.

bbqpigskin 04-18-2007 10:16 AM

Yeah...I have a 22 inch circle on my cement patio!

JW 04-18-2007 12:02 PM

I have 2 circles in my back yard, finished my first UDS last Friday and cooked ribs on Saturday. Everything went so well that I'm making 2 more, will have 3 in all. This way I can do shoulders, ribs and whatever all at the same time for large outings or maybe even some comps, and get some rest while doing it. Keeps me from firing up the mobile monster and tending the fire all night.

By the way great article on the construction and use of the UDS, Thanks to everyone here Great job.

JW

thirdeye 04-18-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbob (Post 373264)
I tend to agree with Gator on the diameter of the grate...22" would be a Bear to get in and out...dont forget You will have bolts at the top to hold the cooking grate...I made my ash pan 15" diameter and the fire basket is 13" diameter and 6" tall.

Bob,

I was curious what your logic was with the square tube spacers below the ash pan. Thanks.

thirdeye 04-18-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 381669)
If you can't get the info off of forum you can spend $24.00.
http://stores.lulu.com/how-to-build-a-smoker. Wonder how many he has sold.

So, if I'm reading this right, this design has internal baffles and is an indirect style of cooker. That is why the ribs take so long to cook, and the color is so unique.

Norcoredneck 04-18-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdeye (Post 381999)
So, if I'm reading this right, this design has internal baffles and is an indirect style of cooker. That is why the ribs take so long to cook, and the color is so unique.

Not sure, just came across this and thought I'd post it. Mine works fine the way it is.

Napper 04-18-2007 08:53 PM

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...m/DSC00049.jpgHey guys!

Been working on the drums!
This thing is getting out of hand. I've got enough drums to cook for an army!
First drum is a DIGITAL air controlled model.
Second model is a MANUAL controlled model.

Digital model can control at +/- ~4 degrees.
Manual model has a +/- 18 degree swing. Not bad for BBQ but I like the tighter control better. It has too much deadband to control a fire.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...m/DSC00043.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...m/DSC00048.jpg

Napper 04-18-2007 08:54 PM

Sory about the photos being out of place on last post.
Not quite used to doing this yet.

Anyway. Live on DRUMS!!!!!!!!!!!

Blutch 04-18-2007 09:41 PM

Ok. Getting close. My custom basket ala OldBob arrived and it is great. PM if you want the name of the Brethren who made it for me.

I put mine on 4/4 wood blocks to burn it out too.. they caught on fire and then caught my grass on fire. Lovely. :-)

Couple questions -

1. when I screw the pipe nipples in they aren't very secure. When I then screw the covers on them I can't tighten them without the pipe nipples getting loose. the same thing happened on the one I screwed the ball valve into. I bought some high heat silicone to seal it up with. If I use that around the pipe nipples will that be strong enough to keep them tight when I put the caps on?

2. I finally found a used weber kettle for $30. I haven't got it yet, but will I have to do anything to make it fit the top of the drum?

3. Am I not going to use my stick burner anymore after using this drum?

Thanks

B

Smokin Gator 04-19-2007 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutch (Post 382066)
Ok. Getting close. My custom basket ala OldBob arrived and it is great. PM if you want the name of the Brethren who made it for me.

I put mine on 4/4 wood blocks to burn it out too.. they caught on fire and then caught my grass on fire. Lovely. :-)

Hhmm... I haven't had that problem. Mine sits on a pressure treated 4x4 landscape timber that I cut in half.

Quote:

Couple questions -

1. when I screw the pipe nipples in they aren't very secure. When I then screw the covers on them I can't tighten them without the pipe nipples getting loose. the same thing happened on the one I screwed the ball valve into. I bought some high heat silicone to seal it up with. If I use that around the pipe nipples will that be strong enough to keep them tight when I put the caps on?

I cut the holes to 13/16 and mine thread in pretty tightly. I still thread on conduit nuts and firm the up on the outside. If you need to you could put them on the inside as well.

Quote:

2. I finally found a used weber kettle for $30. I haven't got it yet, but will I have to do anything to make it fit the top of the drum?

B

It depends... the diameter of the drums differ. On my first on the lid fits perfectly with no mods. On my second one I will have to just balance it on the top.

I know some guys have ground the top roll and gotten a snug fit, but on this one I would have to grind nearly the entire roll.

Quote:

3. Am I not going to use my stick burner anymore after using this drum?

B

Oh... I still love to play with the BSKD it is just not as often. Actually, it may be about the same. I just get to cook more Q now because I can cook on a drum when I wouldn't have to to cook on the stick burner.

I can't wait to see yours...

Oldbob 04-19-2007 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdeye (Post 381997)
Bob,

I was curious what your logic was with the square tube spacers below the ash pan. Thanks.

ThirdEye,
The thought with the tubing under the pan was Heat Transfer...I wanted to try to keep as much heat as possible off the bottom of the drum,I have the tubes bent now and should be getting back to work on it soon.I will post more pictures and results as I can.

thirdeye 04-19-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbob (Post 382163)
ThirdEye,
The thought with the tubing under the pan was Heat Transfer...I wanted to try to keep as much heat as possible off the bottom of the drum,I have the tubes bent now and should be getting back to work on it soon.I will post more pictures and results as I can.

Okay, that makes sense.