The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Dr_KY 09-24-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 744908)
FYI here's one I made out of 12VDC computer fans. Total cost under $10.

I wonder how this could be inexpensively converted to variable speed. Then it would function the same as a BBQ guru more or less I guess.

Whre is your thread, I need more info on this please. :D

ComputerMike 09-24-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

I wonder how this could be inexpensively converted to variable speed. Then it would function the same as a BBQ guru more or less I guess.
What you want is called a fan bus. Its used by computer geeks to manually control different and multiple fans within the computer case.

or google: computer fan bus

Mark 09-24-2008 02:31 PM

Thanks Mike. It looks interesting.

I only use mine for fire starting and haven't felt the need for automation but it could be a fun winter project. Maybe I'm a closet geek.

Mark 09-24-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 744963)
Whre is your thread, I need more info on this please. :D

I posted the pic once before but I guess this is the thread.

Mark 09-24-2008 02:36 PM

PS:

On second thought, variable speed is probably overkill. An adjustable temperature activated switch would likely work just fine.

ROLANON 09-24-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 745093)
PS:

On second thought, variable speed is probably overkill. An adjustable temperature activated switch would likely work just fine.

Would the thermostatically controlled fan switch from an power attic ventilator work for that? they are variable for temperature... oh, wait, they switch ON at a high temp, switch OFF at lower temp... maybe not...

chinesebob 09-24-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by web-pilot (Post 733976)
How does one get the grease out of the bottom of the UDS? I have an ash pan below the charcoal basket, but it has holes in it and some of the drippings from the 6 butts ended up on the bottom of the drum. It was still liquid the next day so I put a bunch of paper towels down there. There was a lot from the 6 butts.

BTW, Butts were excellent. I know it did not happen because I don't have any pics.

Thanks,
George

might sound odd, but I take a handful of ash, drop it on the grease and then shop vac it out.

Meat Burner 09-24-2008 10:04 PM

All the innovation in this thread is fascinating. So many folk working on making the drum work better......but.....just a good ol' drum is sure a lotta fun and works pretty darn good just as an ugly drum smoker! This thread needs to be put in book form with so much great information and suggestions. Apparently Weber figured out they needed to get in on the huge drum phenomena and come out with their new 22" smoker. You know it will be a quality product. DRUMS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!

jerrykr 09-25-2008 07:53 AM

You may have seen my UDS Build Blog from the other post that I did a few days ago, but since this thread seems to be the "go to" thread for ideas about building UDS cookers, I thought it might be good to post a link to my UDS Build Blog here.

http://www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com/

Lots of what I did came from ideas in this giant thread, so my personal thanks to one and all who posted here.

-=- Jerry -=-

Mark 09-25-2008 09:43 AM

A job well done Jerry.

HB-BBQ 09-25-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 745567)
A job well done Jerry.

I agree Jerry that's a great tutorial you put together. I liked your drum head removal method, KISS at it's finest.

ON THE FARM 09-25-2008 01:27 PM

But the fire basket is WAY too high, it should be 3”+/- off of the bottom of the drum.
Or you need 24” from the bottom (lowest part that the coals touch) of the fire basket to the first rack.

jrichter52 09-25-2008 02:30 PM

Any one else using a Guru set up on a drum smoker?

jerrykr 09-25-2008 02:32 PM

Yeah, It's about 3 or 4 inches higher than recommended for the lower grill ( I need to measure). Plenty far away from the top grill, which I will be using the majority of the time. That said, I mention on the Blog that I may be building a "more traditional" basket if this one is a problem. One goal of the build was to try and use as many of the donor grill parts as I could. Good catch, tho.

JD McGee 09-25-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrykr (Post 745475)
You may have seen my UDS Build Blog from the other post that I did a few days ago, but since this thread seems to be the "go to" thread for ideas about building UDS cookers, I thought it might be good to post a link to my UDS Build Blog here.

http://www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com/

Lots of what I did came from ideas in this giant thread, so my personal thanks to one and all who posted here.

-=- Jerry -=-

Nice build Jerry. I like the spring idea for the air intakes. I may incorporate that idea in to my next build.