The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

jgh1204 04-06-2008 11:27 PM

If you can get a 22" weber kettle for $40, buy it(depending on condition). I am assuming that is used?

SmokeWatcher 04-06-2008 11:32 PM

Let's see if we can get this thread over 1000 posts!!!

jgh1204 04-06-2008 11:53 PM

Can I have the 1000th?

Barbarian 04-07-2008 12:08 AM

Don't know what your drum cost you, but I like the idea of being a total drumhead.

Here is a pic of the lid for my UDG it is 6" tall. My UDS lid is a bit taller at 10", but it was my first try and I don't think it has to be that tall. For the UDG lid I used the top 6" of a closed drum and the lid of an open head drum.

I took a saws-all and using the guide cut the center out of the lid then welded it to the 6" top of the donor drum. I have some finish welding to get done but went ahead and painted most of it. It fits real nice since it is the lid from a drum to start with. I plan on doing the same with my UDS lid, cutting it a bit shorter and welding to a donor lid.

Gotta love the look!!!!!

Bbq Bubba 04-07-2008 08:00 AM

It must be early for i don't have a clue what you did there.....more pics please !

Kevin Garceau 04-07-2008 06:43 PM

As for the up pipe....any issues with using a new piece of exhaust pipe?

And I see everyone has the up pipe off to the side on a flat top? Im not sure where Im going flat top or use the weber top for it.

McClung 04-07-2008 09:14 PM

I stuck my exhaust in the middle and went with two handles.

Barbarian 04-08-2008 02:07 AM

Bubba, I hope these photos help. The lid is made of the top 6" of a donor drum welded to the flat lid from another drum.

The first three pics are of a lid with the cutout circle another lid on top of it.
The top two show the blue cutout sitting on the white top of a lid.

In the second pic imagine that the blue circle is the cutout area leaving a white ring.

The third one is of the lids turned over, you can see the remains of the gasket that I have not cleaned off yet.

The last two are of the all but painted and a bit of welding finished lid. I hope you can see the 6" part fit inside the curved edge of the other lid.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 04-08-2008 02:31 AM

OK I got my Drum - I opted for the Closed Drum and had both ends deheaded and two lids and the remnants from the deheading - past contents Grain Alcohol might add a bit of luck to the drum. No lining or interior paint. I got the Webber replacement grills and have run the charcoal basket through the break , its an octagonal basket with top dimension of @ 16 Dia and slops to a @ 12 octagonal base , 10 inches high - pic's to come

all I need to get is the stainless hardware , bolts and washers and such.

the exterior paint is clean and new.

Will the drum still need a high temp burn off?
or just the painted lids?

Saw a previous post regarding high heat paint colors , search for Duplicolor engine enamel / high heat paint - they have over 20 colors and available at many auto parts places and Wally world

anyways shooting for a initial run by this weekend if all goes well

Hook Line and Sinker

swamprb 04-08-2008 04:45 AM

All I can say is BDS clones rule! Post 1000!

Kevin Garceau 04-08-2008 06:56 AM

1000th post may be cool....but the 1001st post is just one betta :)

Bbq Bubba 04-08-2008 07:55 AM

Thanks for the extra pics Jerry, i understand now, pretty cool idea!! :cool:

Dr_KY 04-08-2008 10:00 AM

I didn't find a need for high temp paint and went with a basic black from the hardware store. In fact they run so stedy that I have a vinal sticker on the side and it's still in place.

I would burn it out just because it's god fun to play with fire. Once the burn is dome and has been cleaned then grad a stick of lard and season the brum.

Post 1003 and the first picture after breaking a grand rules.

http://i29.tinypic.com/dct2jk.jpg

h20loo 04-08-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 608629)
I didn't find a need for high temp paint and went with a basic black from the hardware store. In fact they run so stedy that I have a vinal sticker on the side and it's still in place.

I would burn it out just because it's god fun to play with fire. Once the burn is dome and has been cleaned then grad a stick of lard and season the brum.

Just back from the pub DR K?? Not your usual spellingLOL!

I haven't been able to keep stickers on mine but they just fall off- I will try again once the temp stays above freezing.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 04-09-2008 03:04 AM

Pic's of the charcoal basket

2 Attachment(s)
I have run the charcoal basket through the break , its an octagonal basket with top dimension of @ 16 Dia and slops to a @ 12 octagonal base , 10 inches high -