The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Mtnsmoke 05-09-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

To me an Ugly Drum Smoker is a homemade cooker made from a drum period.
Ding, ding,ding we have a winner. Now can we get back to the build info this thread is famous for.

JTank70 05-10-2009 10:12 AM

Finished My UDS

7 Attachment(s)
Well My UDS is finally done!

Finished it yesterday.

I Had to wait 2 weeks after getting the barrel to burn it due to Fire danger being class 4 or 5 for those 2 weeks. (just my luck)
Once I got it burned out things went a little better but man barrel cleaning/brushing is tough, hard work.

I used a vent cap on the exhaust and an old metal drawer knob on the lid. I use the knob to pop the lid loose and then grab the lid by the exhaust and the cap allows the lid to hang nicely on the side of the drum.

Other build notes include two ¾” intakes with brass nipples/caps. One 1” intake with 18” riser and ball valve. Stainless steel bolts for the grate to sit upon with chrome nuts on the outside. Painted with the standard flat black hi-temp grill paint.

I oiled her up with pam and put the heat to her. She is seasoning nicely. It was windy yesterday but I caught the temps on the way up and she did good in the 240* to 255* range for about 3 hours steady. Then I opened up all the vents to see what she could do and it seemed to level out and hover right around 300*. All in all she ran for about 5 hours. When I shut her down she was stone cold in less than an hour.

Can’t wait to cook on it! It’s chicken thighs, drums and a fatty for mothers day!!! It’s gonna be rainy and windy here. (again, just my luck)

I am posting another thread in a little bit with a few questions on the cook. Swing by there and lend a brother a hand with his first smoke ever. I will be posting that one after I do a few things for mother JTank.

Thanks to everyone here for the “Bible” and all the Ideas in it. Special mention to Barbarian for help on my Charcoal Basket. And to h20loo for The advice on going up a size for an intake with a riser.

Heres the pics to prove it really happened!!

capri man 05-10-2009 10:17 AM

looks great!!:eusa_clap now lets see some meat pron!!
:mrgreen:

Dr_KY 05-10-2009 10:37 AM

Beautiful! I agree let's see some animal in there. :)

mranum 05-10-2009 11:06 AM

Dang- only took me a weeks worth of reading to get all the way through this.:tongue: Lots and lots and lots of great info on what does and doesn't seem to work.

Now I just wish I would have taken notes:icon_sad

Hopefully I get started on mine next week.

JTank70 05-10-2009 11:44 AM

Didn't I read in this thread somewhere that the actual temp in the drum is slightly different than the side mounted thermo reads?

Mine has a 3 1/2" probe and is 1/2" or less below the grate.

Thanks.

Norcoredneck 05-10-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 921202)
Didn't I read in this thread somewhere that the actual temp in the drum is slightly different than the side mounted thermo reads?

Mine has a 3 1/2" probe and is 1/2" or less below the grate.

Thanks.

In my opinion shoot for 200 on side gauge and that will gets me @230 center grate. I clock my thermometer, that is I put the 200 at the 12 o'clock position so I can quickly read from a distance and know how it is doing.

bproffer 05-10-2009 03:46 PM

I got my drum all seasoned yesterday/today. As I have never cooked on a UDS, I did a dry run using some hickory chunks and a 10lb bag of Royal Oak lump. After 18 hours, I noticed the temps dropped from 225-230 to 195-200. Opened her up and gave the coal basket a good shake and now I'm back in business. I still had 1/3-1/2 the lump left in the box. These things are sweet.

Hopefully I'll have my first UDS pron later this week.

LT72884 05-10-2009 08:21 PM

so i take it that i have to season it first before i cook on it? or will one cook season it for me. And wtf is a fatty LOL hahaha

thanx

Weiser 05-10-2009 08:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
WTF is this?
Can't really call it a UDS, nor can you call it
a BDS Clone.
I'm open to all suggestions. :razz:

Weiser
I experiment a bit too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 920545)
Whoa Pilgrim,
I am very knowledgeable about the type of drum smoker I build. I have made changes, some work work some don't. Won't call myself an expert but willing to share my knowledge. What exactly is a UDS? It is a culmination of ideas that has been shared on this forum. Some have doors, hatches, pans, box's, baskets. Truth be known a UDS like Moink is Brethren birthed term. You will see it on many forums, blogs, articles. The first few UDS's were by Model Maker, Big Mista, and others. JGH 1204 cioned the phrase. To me an Ugly Drum Smoker is a homemade cooker made from a drum period.

Truth be known what most pigeonhole as a true UDS is actually a BDS clone, some modified some not. To jump on the band wagon and chastise someone for posting an idea in this thread is wrong. It is what it is because of ideas people contributed along the road. Although long, it is worth the read. It helps one understand what ideas have been tried and what the posters results were. Long time posters in the thread (including myself) get a little testy when every 3 weeks the same stuff comes up. It is pretty evident that they didn't put in the time to read the thread because the same stuff gets rehashed over and over. In my advice I have given is always build a simple one, get cooking on it, eat some great BBQ and build another and out cool everyone on that drum. Pass your basic drum on to another friend and spread the love of BBQ.

Norco

JTank70 05-10-2009 08:37 PM

Is that some kind of box built around a smoker? Or is it actually THE smoker itself?

I am New to this stuff, puzzled but intrigued.

Weiser 05-10-2009 08:53 PM

Tanker, I'm confused too.
My Wife blames it on the Alzheimer's but I've had this problem all of my life.
Ya, it is kind of a box built around some kind of Smoker.:confused:
I don't mean to be elusive here but that is all I can really divulge till it is done later this week.
Photos of the build will be posted.

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 921595)
Is that some kind of box built around a smoker? Or is it actually THE smoker itself?

I am New to this stuff, puzzled but intrigued.

LT72884 05-10-2009 08:56 PM

its a snow cone maker

Weiser 05-10-2009 09:18 PM

Hot Air corn popper.

Weiser

LT72884 05-10-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 921638)
Hot Air corn popper.

Weiser

DAMN IT, that was my first guess