The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Meat Burner 07-23-2008 10:19 PM

Just IMHO, don't get carried away with the handles, they don't get hot so go cheap keeping with the purpose of a UDS. KEEP IT SIMPLE..... Great thread! Just my $.02.

Norcoredneck 07-23-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 693729)
Just IMHO, don't get carried away with the handles, they don't get hot so go cheap keeping with the purpose of a UDS. KEEP IT SIMPLE..... Great thread! Just my $.02.

Personally I wouldn't use these. Fin wanted them so I made them. Simple garage door handles work just fine. But the do scream "Smoker"
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_3071.jpg

Meat Burner 07-23-2008 10:34 PM

Norco knows!:cool:

Single Fin Smoker 07-24-2008 12:15 AM

F'n AAAAAAAAA!!!!!

I feel like I'm in love already.

Personally, I like the recycled ecb handles on my first uds. The financier of our operation decided on those handles.

When this comes to my house(after the Spice Thermometers get to you), I will provide further pics after its Cardinal & Gold paint job.

Well done Sir Norco. You have found you new job......when you retire.

Them wire handles do look pretty good...

Bbq Bubba 07-24-2008 06:59 AM

Wow, Fin gets a smoker before Brian???

You need to hook that brother up!!

P.S. Project X looks very interesting. :mrgreen:

Single Fin Smoker 07-24-2008 11:31 AM

Brian already got his. Saw it the other nite, and its a damn fine looking cooker to be sure.
Those handles were NOT my first choice. The ecb handles on my first drum work great.
I'll be using my gloves.

michiana mark 07-24-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdSmoke (Post 693294)
I did go back to teh steel yard today and found another barrel that looks the same as mine (blue paint with dark red interior. It had a sticker on the lid that was very faded and but I think it said Sherwin Williams. I also saw the the word exterior.

I am thinking that it maybe contained exterior latex paint. That makes sense considering the drum had what appeared to be streaks of white paint on the inside.

Can I use this? I have been looking for a source for a "food grade" barrel and simply cannot find one I know is of this type. For that matter, I don't know how "food grade" is different then "not food grade".

I just wanna get started on this.

I believe BBQ Bubba uses these all the time, Shoot him a pm on it.

BobF 07-26-2008 04:09 PM

Got my drum. Got the 1" holes drilled around the bottom for the inlets. Picked up various bits of black pipe fittings to make the inlets. I am going to use the nuts for electric conduit cause I don't feel like rigging a connection for the welder.
I got a Weber charcoal grate from HD and a piece of expanded metal at the hardware store (HD doesn't have it in my area). This piece is 16" x 32". I plan to cut in half giving 2 8" x 32" pieces. This should wrap around the grid. I plan to mount the grate about 2" up, this will give about a 6" tall coal holder with a 17' diameter.
Is this about right? Any tips for "rolling" the expanded metal?

Dr_KY 07-26-2008 04:24 PM

One inch holes are kinda big. How many did you drill?

BobF 07-26-2008 04:35 PM

1" holes fit the 3/4 pipe stuff just right. Drilled 3. Will install 3/4 pipe nipples, 2 with caps and 1 with ball valve.

charliesarmy 07-26-2008 08:48 PM

I had holes drilled today also. I had four 1/2 inch holes in the lid and four of the same size at the bottom.... the guy who helped me out did not have any larger bits... I ran to Lowes to get a 7/8ths bit for the thermo but they did not have that size.....

My question is will I need bigger holes for the air intake.... I am cheap and will be using magnets for the air control....

Any advice is appreciated...

jiarby 07-26-2008 09:23 PM

fire it up.. see how it runs, and drill more small holes if needed.

Mad Max 07-26-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliesarmy (Post 695897)
I had holes drilled today also. I had four 1/2 inch holes in the lid and four of the same size at the bottom.... the guy who helped me out did not have any larger bits... I ran to Lowes to get a 7/8ths bit for the thermo but they did not have that size.....

My question is will I need bigger holes for the air intake.... I am cheap and will be using magnets for the air control....

Any advice is appreciated...

If you find you need the bigger drill bits, check Harbor Freight Tools, they had the bits you would need or about $12 or $14 bucks.

Barbarian 07-26-2008 10:09 PM

look for step bits. They work great for drillin the intake and exhaust holes.

charliesarmy 07-27-2008 08:31 AM

I have the guy who is putting together my fire ring coming over for lunch after church today..... I will see if he has a bit that fits if not it is off to Harbor Tools and hopefully we will be seasoning the ol'UDS today!!!! Pics to come if it works out....