The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

bman 06-14-2007 08:33 PM

Help!

I now have 4 drums that are 34in high. At what height do you install the cooking grate?

tntitan 06-14-2007 08:48 PM

24 inches from the bottom grate

Meat Burner 06-14-2007 11:21 PM

:confused: Help here brothers, 24" from the bottom of your fire basket I think...:confused: If you find a webber kettle lid you can add an additional grate above that. Yes...No...Maybe...Whatever... For sure...Fark it... what ever you want...No way...Try something...Punt...Help. LOL. Time for bed.

biffleg 06-15-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 411375)
:confused: Help here brothers, 24" from the bottom of your fire basket I think...:confused: If you find a webber kettle lid you can add an additional grate above that. Yes...No...Maybe...Whatever... For sure...Fark it... what ever you want...No way...Try something...Punt...Help. LOL. Time for bed.

24" from the bottom of the fire basket to your first rack. If you use a Weber lid ... that will allow you to put in a second rack 5" +/- above the first rack. On my next drum ... the pipe nipples will be somewhere around 1 1/2" from the bottom of the drum. Hope that helps.

tumpedover 06-15-2007 12:04 PM

Does anybody have a complete build photographed from start to finish??
Would love to observe.....Looks like I'm hooked searching for a drum as we speak!

Mark 06-15-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 410495)
Keep adding to them and you won't be able to clasify them as UGLY drum smokers.

Maybe not, if they only utilize used pallets. But your point is well taken.

Bigmista 06-15-2007 01:45 PM

Don't know how tall mine is but my first grate is 6" from the top and the second one is 6" below that.

jazzspot 06-15-2007 02:01 PM

I'm still trying to hunt down a drum in my neck of the woods!! All this industry in my parts, and I'm not able to find a drum.

Scottyj13 06-15-2007 02:09 PM

Has anybody tried to use a metal garbage can instead of a barrel? They are definitely more accessible than the drums, bu I wonder what the trade-offs are with using galvanized steel...

N8man 06-15-2007 02:28 PM

Don't Do It!!!!

Don't use anything galvinized to cook with!!!! Bad Mojo that!!!!

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ 06-15-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzspot (Post 411701)
I'm still trying to hunt down a drum in my neck of the woods!! All this industry in my parts, and I'm not able to find a drum.

Here's a few possibles in NJ...
http://www.kellydrums.com/
http://www.envirobiz.com/datademo/drum.htm
~ with the caveat that I have no idea how 'clean' and reconditioned barrel would be...or, how you'd tell what was previously in it.

Are ya close to Atlantic City? They probably get buffet food in 55 gallon barrels.

bman 06-15-2007 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll get to work on one this weekend.

jgh1204 06-15-2007 06:30 PM

I called my oil supplier the other day and he could get me a new drum for about $25.

tntitan 06-15-2007 07:47 PM

good price get it

Meat Burner 06-16-2007 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzspot (Post 411701)

Farm supply hardware stores in our area...do you have something like that close. Ask for 55 gal burn barrels. Hope that might help you find one.:|

jazzspot 06-16-2007 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 411929)
Farm supply hardware stores in our area...do you have something like that close. Ask for 55 gal burn barrels. Hope that might help you find one.:|

Thanks Meat Burner, I'll check the Yellow Pages and see if there are any around my area. Do have names of any farm supply stores that may do business in my area?

tntitan 06-17-2007 09:31 AM

briskets on the barrel how many hours

tntitan 06-23-2007 09:58 PM

here is more on ugly drum smokers

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ 06-25-2007 04:02 PM

Welp, did some camping down at Truman Lake this weekend with five other families...22 folks total, a Yellow Lab and a half Pit Bull half Whippit chuck huntin' machine of a dog.

Took the trashcan along since no one mentioned what we were cooking on. Got there and found Smoky Joe and a standard issue forest service open pit concrete & steel HD grill...(not that there's anything wrong with that, but it was HOT outside). She chugged along all weekend even with various people constantly lifting the lid...Cooked with 50/50 lump and briqs. I dumped about beercan's worth of ashes out before putting it on the truck Sunday.

Saturday...20 ears of unshucked corn on the bottom grate with 4 large foil packs of taters 'n onions on the top grate along with 30 brats cooked, wrapped and holding. Oh, and an 8 pack of dogs for the crump snatchers. All on a something I can lift in an out of the pickup easily, bad back and all.

Thinking about modifying the bottom grate(s) with notches so they'll easily pass by the bolts that hold the top grate instead of having to angle it out. CLICK...or, maybe try a heavy duty butler tray hinge, drop~leaf hinge type set up for the top grate...:idea:

Hmmmm.....might just work.
http://www.paxtonhardware.com/images/4162.gif

Came away from the weekend with supplier of lined barrels, if & when needed (cultured marble products company, FYI). Also traded my spare SS hardware and notes for the angle iron and the welding on a new charcoal basket. I'd have given them up for free, but he offered first...:wink:

As of yesterday afternoon there are now 5 friends, 1 park ranger and 1 Benton county deputy spreading out around the Ozarks looking for barrels. It's craziness I tell ya...craziness.

Sorry for the long windage, but she sho' did shine this weekend...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/bcswitz/x.jpg

Thawley 06-25-2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bottles 'n Bones BBQ (Post 417075)
Thinking about modifying the bottom grate(s) with notches so they'll easily pass by the bolts that hold the top grate instead of having to angle it out. CLICK...or, maybe try a heavy duty butler tray hinge, drop~leaf hinge type set up for the top grate...:idea:

Hmmmm.....might just work.
http://www.paxtonhardware.com/images/4162.gif

Yet another brilliant UDS design idea.

No fair teasing us with the long shot of that lid, though. We need CLOSE UPS of the velocity stacks...

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ 06-25-2007 04:49 PM

I knew a girl named "stacks" once...sadly, no pics :cry:.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/bcswitz/x2.jpg

'Pologies Thawley...I'm not the best photo guy, and I'm not sure my digital camera is from this century or not. It was a gift, possibly a re~gift...

Thawley 06-25-2007 05:35 PM

Those are SOOOOoooooo bitchen. Stainless allen screws, to boot. You're my kinda guy, Bones.

What's a application/source for the stacks? Motorcycle? Hot Rod Briggs&Stratton? You gonna put red, rubber balls in'em like the sprintcar guys do when the engine's not runnin'?

Pretty trick, man.

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ 06-25-2007 10:44 PM

Thanks man...Nope, no application to speak of. Pops wouldn't come off any of the stacks I know that he's got stashed in his garage for his MG. I picked these up off Ebay for 7 bucks or so.

I've been thinkin' about getting some of those dual stack covers. Maybe two sets, cause I'll probably melt the first set.

Wish I could have found a way to make 6 or 8 of 'em look cool on the lid of a barrel...maybe I'll side draft 'em next time??? It might not cook any good or draft worth a damn, but it'd look cool...!

rlic80 07-10-2007 10:10 PM

My first attempt...

This weekend I'm going to begin my first attempt at building one of these beauties! I picked up my first barrel from the guy who posted in Recycler. He had several empty food grade barrels (all with the interior lining, having contained apple juice concentrate). He sold it to me for $25, which I thought was fair considering its proximity of location. I opted to only get 1 barrel this time around since this wil be my first attempt at fabricating a smoker.
Currently, I am planning on using an old fireplace grate for the firebox (it's slots are thin enough for lump char), and bolting pipes to the sides for ventialtion (probably 2-3 at 1/2" - 3/4" a piece). I think I'll also drill 4 - 1/4" holes on the lid (in a tight square formation) and mount a pipe fitting over it for my upper exhaust (I'm thinking it will be a 1" diameter pipe that goes over it). I have no welding skills, so I am going to attempt to do this all with drills and bolts.
I'm little nervous about burning off the inner lining with potential heavy fire and fumes, but I'll be sure to post pics in the coming weeks as I build it.
Thanks everyone.

Thawley 07-10-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlic80 (Post 426419)
I'm little nervous about burning off the inner lining with potential heavy fire and fumes...

Yeah, I've heard enough stories about neighbors and fire trucks to keep me from doing a big, hardwood burn in my back yard... I ended up using a Harbor Freight propane torch. Much cleaner.

In your neck of the woods, I'd guess you could also take it down to the beach and burn it in.

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ 07-11-2007 01:47 PM

Hey Thawley...Any idea what kind of temps that 3M vehicle wrap can take? Do ya think the sides of a UDS are too hot?

This is gettin' out of control...LoL

Thawley 07-11-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bottles 'n Bones BBQ (Post 426656)
Hey Thawley...Any idea what kind of temps that 3M vehicle wrap can take? Do ya think the sides of a UDS are too hot?

Pretty sure that stuff is about the same as most vinyl. Maybe try a few vinyl stickers on it first. We had a guy at the SoCal bash last month with USMC stickers on his pellet smoker and they looked alright....

Grillman40 07-11-2007 02:23 PM

Thats cuz USMC stickers wont burn!! :-P

rlic80 07-11-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thawley (Post 426439)
Yeah, I've heard enough stories about neighbors and fire trucks to keep me from doing a big, hardwood burn in my back yard... I ended up using a Harbor Freight propane torch. Much cleaner.

In your neck of the woods, I'd guess you could also take it down to the beach and burn it in.

Thawley...what exactly did you do with the propane torch? Just burn off the interior lining? I might be able to get access to one and if that is simpler and quicker than a barrel burn, I'd gladly welcome it.

AlabamaGrillBillies 07-13-2007 07:43 AM

When postioning the first Food Grate. Does it need to be 24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket, ie 24" from the bottom grate, or 24" from the top of the charcoal basket, ie where the top of the pile of coal would be.

Thawley 07-13-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlic80 (Post 426772)
Thawley...what exactly did you do with the propane torch? Just burn off the interior lining? I might be able to get access to one and if that is simpler and quicker than a barrel burn, I'd gladly welcome it.

I flamed it from the outside and got it hot enough to burn the coating of the inside. There's not enough oxygen to keep the flame going if you work from the inside...

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ 07-13-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlabamaGrillBillies (Post 427556)
When postioning the first Food Grate. Does it need to be 24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket, ie 24" from the bottom grate, or 24" from the top of the charcoal basket, ie where the top of the pile of coal would be.

AGB...It's pretty much builder's choice, IMHO. I'm of the idea of putting your top and bottom grates in where you want 'em to fit your cooking style or if the drum has a desinated purpose (ie...large cuts of meat ~vs~ small ones ~vs~ all around utility), and second build your basket the way you want it. I think the distance is fairly forgiving and the first place to find any wiggle room if you need it...

My new basket cooks better than my old one even though it's 2-3" taller than the old one (about 18" from top of basket to top grate). That's my take on the sitcheeashun anyway...

Bigmista 07-13-2007 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlabamaGrillBillies (Post 427556)

With mine, the first grate is 6 inches from the top. Second grate is 6 inches below that.

AlabamaGrillBillies 07-13-2007 12:43 PM

Well, what i'm thinking of is having a 'hotter' bottom rack where the temps might be say 250 to 275 even, and a 'cooler' top rack where temps could be between 250 and 200. Cooking things like chicken and ribs on the bottom rack and butts and brisket on the top.

thirdeye 07-13-2007 01:07 PM

Let me toss this out for idears.....My top grate is 7" from the lid. The over/under cooks are a slight hassle cause you have to remove the entire upper grate to tend the stuff on the lower one. I have made a grate extender for my Eggs that looks like this. What do you think of a 1/2 ring with a 1/2 grate to sit on the regular grate? Maybe used for potatoes, corn, smaller stuff like a short rack of ribs, a few wings etc. If it was 3" high you could still reach under it with tongs, or just spin the whole device 180°. (those bottom crossbars would not be needed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../DSC02674a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../DSC02677a.jpg

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ 07-13-2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdeye (Post 427698)
What do you think of a 1/2 ring with a 1/2 grate to sit on the regular grate? Maybe used for potatoes, corn, smaller stuff like a short rack of ribs, a few wings etc. If it was 3" high you could still reach under it with tongs, or just spin the whole device 180°. (those bottom crossbars would not be needed.

I'm in...put me down for at least one!!! :wink:

Hey Thirdeye, speaking of...What MIG welder would you suggest for the small home shop? Just for tinkering around the shop. Surely nothing ever over 1/4", I don't imagine...

thirdeye 07-13-2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bottles 'n Bones BBQ (Post 427702)
I'm in...put me down for at least one!!! :wink:

Hey Thirdeye, speaking of...What MIG welder would you suggest for the small home shop? Just for tinkering around the shop. Surely nothing ever over 1/4", I don't imagine...

I've been a welding inspector for 31 years and MIG (hard wire and flux-core) is definitely where it's at for the workshop as far as ease of use, skill level, thin materials etc. I'm sort of old school because 4 or 5 years ago when I got a new machine for my workbench I went with a 150 amp stick/TIG unit. Stick for the variety of filler options and being able to use it just about anywhere, sometimes without the perfect weld prep. TIG, because I have always admired the men that have mastered it. I will have a MIG welder someday....

Anyway back to your question. I don't know what your budget is but I like Miller. I used to not like their beer or their welders, now I drink Lite and own a Maxstar. For you, the Millermatic line may be something to look at to compare features. The 140 even has Auto-Set. Remember you will need a bottle of gas, a hood and some accessories. I've played with them at a couple of welding demo's, they are nice.

You really need to try some on for size. There are some Lincoln machines at home centers that have similar features to the Miller. Some welding dealers have demo machines so you can get some trigger time before buying.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ 07-13-2007 03:20 PM

Thanks man...BTW, bought a 12 pack of 16 OZ Miller Lites the other day. First time I've ever seen such a thing...'bout time!!! LoL

Norcoredneck 07-13-2007 05:17 PM

Speaking of welding, I have a lazy eye (crooked eye farker) and have bad depth perception. I was on disability with a broken leg (in a hip cast) and had to pay a muffler shop $20 to weld 2 scissor jacks together to raise my bed. He did such a $hitty job when my first Income insurance check came in I bought a 250 amp Miller mig. I am not a great welder but I can stick things together. I needed a 115V welder to do fencing and I bought a Hobart 135, neighbor was hooked after playing with mine. He bought a Miller 135. They are almost identical (Miller owns Hobart) except his had a reostat for voltage where mine has a position click.. Wish mine had the adjustment when doing small stuff. If you go on Ebay welding outfits have lots of deals most with free shipping because they are drop shipped. Around the holidays most give freebies, carts, covers, consumables. Important thing to remember is don't buy cheap. Get a major brand so you can get replacement parts. It is as addicting as BBq. Since then I got a Miller SD180 tig/stick that I can not seem to get the hang of, and my favorite a plasma cutter my wife and daughter bought me. Join the Miller club online they have a E-newsletter that is cool, lots of ideas. Go to http://www.cyberweld.com/ good place. Buy a good helmet, autodarkening, best you can afford. Take it from One eye, it's too late when you can't see what your missing.

jtfisher63 07-13-2007 06:20 PM

Man alive! That was long read, it took me all afternoon(while working). Now I am convinced that I need a drum smoker. I read in one of the posts that it cooks from the bottom only. So if I wanted to use rib racks would I need to flip the ribs over in the racks? One of my probs right now is that I can't cook many racks on what I have now and I think a drum would do the trick. Thanks.

Jason

thirdeye 07-13-2007 08:13 PM

Norco,

Quote:

...don't buy cheap...get a good helmet...
That is very sound advice on both counts. You only have two eyes .... I got an Optrel hood with the two-stage variable settings and love it. I can dial it down for low amp TIG or up for 6010.

You have a plas at home? Cool. I'm still a real novice with the TIG but I like the mechanics of the whole process.

Norcoredneck 07-13-2007 09:46 PM

Yeah I have a plasma cutter, my wife loves me and listens to what I tell my friends. I have a lot of coaches when it comes to welding. The problem I have is keeping the tungsten away from puddle/filler. Probably didn't help that I started to learn on aluminum. Started getting the hang of it and then electricity rates went up and you can see the meter try to spin the house! Need to get back to it. Wish I had time to take a class. My eyesight is changing with age, need reading glasses. Got a hood with magnifier lens. Real cool if you need it.

thirdeye 07-14-2007 05:44 AM

My machine is DC TIG only, so no aluminum. But it does have an adjustable arc pulse that helps me. It came with the finger control and a lot of welders like the foot pedal better. It's the out of position stuff that gives me fits.

My hood has a cheater lense too.

FatDad 07-14-2007 06:03 AM

Start a new thread

You farkers should start a new thread about welding
This is not Q-Talk info...
JMO...

ipls3355 07-25-2007 09:53 AM

How long are the thermometers you use in these?

tntitan 07-25-2007 02:21 PM

mine is 3 inches

Norcoredneck 07-25-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tntitan (Post 434022)
mine is 3 inches

Taken out of context (top of page when I opened thread), could be bad!

Norcoredneck 07-25-2007 05:22 PM

Most standard thermometers are @ 3-4 inches. I used a long temp probe in mine and the thermometer reads about 200Deg. when probe 6-8" in reads @250. I think this is part of the reason people say they cook faster. I run mine where the dial is "clocked" at 200 straight up. I can sit inside an still see it and know where it is even with my crooked eye no matter how many beers (short of passing out).

Thawley 07-25-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

You farkers should start a new thread about welding
This is not Q-Talk info...
Okay, here's The Welder Thread then.

Also, I've posted a separate thread for UUDS™ Foot-Operated Air Vents & fire-basket/ash-pan combo. Just wanted to link it here with the rest of the UDS info...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1081/...4505bb12_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1041/...1658cbed_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1052/...fcbf5cbf_o.jpg

BizoQ 07-30-2007 01:43 AM

WOW! What a great thread! Just finished reading from start to finish (at work no less!) and will now start searching for a 55-gal drum barrel for my very own attempt at one of these beauties. After all, how could something like these homemade smokers be called ugly?!