The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Hammer325 03-01-2013 08:57 AM

Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

Then I still needed a chimney. So, in the spirit of things I did not go out and buy one, but I knocked (literally) one together from two kitchen aid holders with a piece of threaded steal. Cost me next to nothing, but looks nice enough.

Half way through the post, I was walking into work and noticed an old Weber chimney sitting outside. Thought to my self, " Man there isn't much to that I wonder if there are any posts about making one.". Started reading again and there it was. Great idea.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sizzl 03-01-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufio (Post 2388502)
Quick Q,

Living in Ireland there is zero old Weber Kettle Grill Lids knocking around so i'll be getting my lid straight from Weber.

Obviously I'll be looking for the 57cm (22inch) lid. But I don't know which option to go for.

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/one-touch-premium/
Width 63cm Depth 74cm Height 109cm

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/one-touch-original/
Width 59cm Depth 66cm Height 99cm

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/sm...untain-cooker/
Width 59cm Depth 65cm Height 124cm

Opinions would be much appreciated - Note: I don't have a barrel yet, so if any of the above doesn't confirm to a "standard" drum then please let me know.

Don't fret over finding a kettle lid. Use a drum with an open top, and use the top as the lid. If you are worried about room, then make your grate 8 inches from the top instead of 7.
The kettle lid is only needed when you want two grates.

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

rufio 03-01-2013 09:16 AM

But I do want two :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

arne 03-01-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer325 (Post 2388728)
Half way through the post, I was walking into work and noticed an old Weber chimney sitting outside. Thought to my self, " Man there isn't much to that I wonder if there are any posts about making one.". Started reading again and there it was. Great idea.

Thanks. Funny thing, those stainless pots are cheap as chips. Picked both of them up for under 3 bucks new. Just make sure that you cut the underside out from the underside, not from the side. If you do it from below, you leave a little bit of the bend in place to leave some strength in the top one which you need to have it clamp itself it into the bottom one. Took me all of 10 minutes to make.

CYvilEng 03-01-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arne (Post 2388784)
Thanks. Funny thing, those stainless pots are cheap as chips. Picked both of them up for under 3 bucks new. Just make sure that you cut the underside out from the underside, not from the side. If you do it from below, you leave a little bit of the bend in place to leave some strength in the top one which you need to have it clamp itself it into the bottom one. Took me all of 10 minutes to make.

Where did you get those pots? And what size are they?

sent from my phone

arne 03-01-2013 10:18 AM

I got these at our equivalent of a dollar store. And they are roughly 8 or 9 inches I think. (They are not on my desk. ;))

Sizzl 03-01-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufio (Post 2388757)
But I do want two :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Kinda painful turning meat on the lower rack

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Norcoredneck 03-03-2013 07:06 AM

Just stopping by to see if it is still alive.

Kloogee 03-03-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sizzl (Post 2388905)
Kinda painful turning meat on the lower rack

When I'm smoking, I don't turn anything. Put it in there and hands off til it's ready.

wmarkw 03-03-2013 08:01 AM

I'm in the process of building one now with a weber lid. I have 2 others with the regular lid but wanted the option of having the extra room if need be. I love smoking beans so that second grate will come in handy.

mike5150 03-03-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarkw (Post 2391380)
I'm in the process of building one now with a weber lid. I have 2 others with the regular lid but wanted the option of having the extra room if need be. I love smoking beans so that second grate will come in handy.

"Smoking beans" do you care to share how you do this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hammer325 03-03-2013 09:19 AM

Dry em, crush em, roll em!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just BS 03-03-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlWayne (Post 2387641)
Already built one UDS planning on building another but I want to do something different this time. First time I built it very basic nothing over the top. Thinking of making this one a little prettier looking. What do you guys think. Also if you could change anything about how you made yours what would it be?

I suppose it depends on how you built your first one and what you like/dislike about it.

For me, my next one will be powder coated a pretty color and the intakes, exhaust, handles, etc., will be chromed.

My charcoal basket will be free standing and have an ash catcher (right now it sits on top of the intakes).

I think a dolly cart modded with a work surface would be cool.

Oh, and a bottle opener is a must!

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)

ClintHTX 03-03-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just BS (Post 2391736)
I suppose it depends on how you built your first one and what you like/dislike about it.

For me, my next one will be powder coated a pretty color and the intakes, exhaust, handles, etc., will be chromed.

My charcoal basket will be free standing and have an ash catcher (right now it sits on top of the intakes).

I think a dolly cart modded with a work surface would be cool.

Oh, and a bottle opener is a must!

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)

See I want to make mine a little prettier. Maybe a glossier paint job a nice work table attached. My original one has a handle on the lid I know for damn sure I'm gonna get some thing a little more durable. Maybe put a chrome exhaust tip coming out of the top? Just want to make it a lot more stand out.

arne 03-03-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 2391327)
Just stopping by to see if it is still alive.

Well I am just getting my first picnic on my new built UDS if that answers your question. ;-)