The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Dr_KY 05-26-2009 03:08 AM

You don't need an exhaust stack really. They run fine with holes drilled in the lid or the cap out of the bung.

The Bengal Thing 05-26-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 933835)
You don't need an exhaust stack really. They run fine with holes drilled in the lid or the cap out of the bung.

I was having a little difficulty, with wind, on my test run .... keeping the temp steady.

I narrowed it done to a couple of possible causes. Leaky lid (I put the seal back on it), and the exhaust (needed to "block" the wind from the somewhat direct path it had into the drum with just the bung cap off)

Barbarian 05-26-2009 11:07 AM

Hey H20, sounds like a great party and you have a bunch of converts now. Drum on baby drum on!!!!!!!!!!

timmy7649 05-26-2009 01:31 PM

i use a galvanized pipe for my exhaust. no probs yet. does not effect the taste either.

BBQ185 05-26-2009 08:22 PM

Help!! I have gone through this thread :eusa_clap and I thought I saw someone using the lid from a Uniflame BBQ grill (it had hinges). I have looked through this thread again :shock: (maybe I missed a page). I have not been able to find it again. Saw a Uniflame BBQ grill on craigslist and not sure if it would work. Have several leads for drums on my first UDS.:-D
Thanks...

Meat Burner 05-26-2009 08:40 PM

Bengle, just a thought. You notice from all the brethren, putting the seal back on for air control is not suggested. That is a seal that is not a food safe component when you add heat. It is a seal that can produce some nasty air when heated up. That is why no one uses them. Just trying to keep you healthy.

Pantseatflyer 05-26-2009 08:41 PM

Here's what a few phone calls and a little research gets ya!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3593/...123573.jpg?v=0

All food grade and at $10 each!!

StayDown 05-26-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantseatflyer (Post 934761)

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Ok..what kind of calls or research did you do to find these. I would love to find a score like that around here

StayDown 05-26-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 934759)
Bengle, just a thought. You notice from all the brethren, putting the seal back on for air control is not suggested. That is a seal that is not a food safe component when you add heat. It is a seal that can produce some nasty air when heated up. That is why no one uses them. Just trying to keep you healthy.

I may be wrong but I think he means the closure ring. I am certain we pulled all that stuff out and threw it away

Meat Burner 05-26-2009 09:07 PM

If it's the outer metal ring, no problem. The term seal may have thrown me off.

JD McGee 05-26-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantseatflyer (Post 934761)

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

OMG...I want the one on the bottom...:twisted: Great score bro! :-P

Pantseatflyer 05-26-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StayDown (Post 934777)
Ok..what kind of calls or research did you do to find these. I would love to find a score like that around here

Living in the land of Wal-Mart and JB Hunt has it's advantages. It seems like everywhere you turn there are barrels. I head west and there's a McKee Foods, "Little Debbie" factory. East and they are stacked up in flatbeds on the side of the road for sale. A lot of folks in rural areas use them for burn barrels.

I'm in town, so I will probably have to head to my bro-in-law's to burn it out lest the "neighborhood nazi's" (POA) will be on my tail. :icon_pissed

Thanks to all for the tips and tricks! Will post build pics soon.

JD McGee 05-26-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantseatflyer (Post 934826)
Living in the land of Wal-Mart and JB Hunt has it's advantages. It seems like everywhere you turn there are barrels. I head west and there's a McKee Foods, "Little Debbie" factory. East and they are stacked up in flatbeds on the side of the road for sale. A lot of folks in rural areas use them for burn barrels.

I'm in town, so I will probably have to head to my bro-in-law's to burn it out lest the "neighborhood nazi's" (POA) will be on my tail. :icon_pissed

Thanks to all for the tips and tricks! Will post build pics soon.

I can relate...I get all my drums from StockPot (Campbel's Soup)...they look very similar to your stack...only mine are closed lids...and FREE!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...9/IMG_7113.jpg

Pantseatflyer 05-27-2009 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD McGee (Post 934834)
I can relate...I get all my drums from StockPot (Campbel's Soup)...they look very similar to your stack...only mine are closed lids...and FREE!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...9/IMG_7113.jpg

Very nice! I like the custom lower vent!

ajmcedar 05-27-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ185 (Post 934746)
Help!! I have gone through this thread :eusa_clap and I thought I saw someone using the lid from a Uniflame BBQ grill (it had hinges). I have looked through this thread again :shock: (maybe I missed a page). I have not been able to find it again. Saw a Uniflame BBQ grill on craigslist and not sure if it would work. Have several leads for drums on my first UDS.:-D
Thanks...

Just got one myself, sorry best picture I have right now. It fit after modifying the rim (bent inward with cresent wrench) and adding the second grill on top. I just push it down until it hits the grill support bolts. Covered the extra holes from the hinges with fridge magnets.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...d/IMG_1998.jpg

More build pics can be found here, with some pron for added measure.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62426

Phubar 05-27-2009 11:42 AM

Yesterday evening I took the thrash outside and this is what I found,a computer desk that's gonna be modified to be my future TGT (Texas Grill Transporter).:-D
Thanx for giving me "The Addiction"!

jeepaholic 05-27-2009 11:50 AM

looking to build my first UDS.I found a local place to by a brand new unlined drum. Do I need to burn off the paint on the outside of the drum before my first cook?

BigdogKC 05-27-2009 03:30 PM

I am looking to add to my drum collection.... I found a guy selling drums that had insulation in them. I know some people say only food grade, and some say who cares just burn it out....I am somewhere in between, but I have no idea what kinds of chemicals are in insulation.

What do ya'll think?

N8man 05-27-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigdogKC (Post 935446)
I am looking to add to my drum collection.... I found a guy selling drums that had insulation in them. I know some people say only food grade, and some say who cares just burn it out....I am somewhere in between, but I have no idea what kinds of chemicals are in insulation.

What do ya'll think?

I Think I'd Shy Away From them....Unless you have the MSDS Sheet of the particular insulation there's no way to know what chemicals made up the Insulation.....Better Safe Than Sorry Down The Road.....

JD McGee 05-27-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantseatflyer (Post 934983)
Very nice! I like the custom lower vent!

Thanks bro...I ripped off...errr...borrowed the design from my BGE! :twisted: It works great too btw...:-P

The Bengal Thing 05-27-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StayDown (Post 934778)
I may be wrong but I think he means the closure ring. I am certain we pulled all that stuff out and threw it away

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 934787)
If it's the outer metal ring, no problem. The term seal may have thrown me off.

indeed... i meant the "closure ring"

Thanks for the concern though MeatBurner

pinghacker 05-27-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepaholic (Post 935199)
looking to build my first UDS.I found a local place to by a brand new unlined drum. Do I need to burn off the paint on the outside of the drum before my first cook?

Jeep,

I wouldn't bother. It will be fine with the paint that's on it. I would wash the inside with hot water and dish soap before putting the Pam/oil/Crisco on for seasoning.

jeepaholic 05-27-2009 09:12 PM

Thanks hacker

Source_to_Sea 05-27-2009 09:35 PM

Well, that was two days worth of reading! Great thread ya'll.

Bbq Bubba 05-27-2009 10:08 PM

I miss Norco. :cool:

swamprb 05-27-2009 10:56 PM

I'm going to have to build one of these things someday!:roll:

Cool Ham Luke 05-28-2009 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 935756)
I miss Norco. :cool:

PM him. He's a great guy.

Dr_KY 05-28-2009 02:00 AM

Who???

Mark 05-28-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8man (Post 935459)
I Think I'd Shy Away From them....Unless you have the MSDS Sheet of the particular insulation there's no way to know what chemicals made up the Insulation.....Better Safe Than Sorry Down The Road.....

Yeah; what N8man said. It's at least possible that the contents were some form of isocyanurate. The cyan stands for cyanide. At least stay clear of the fumes while you're burning it out. :icon_sick

Smoke-eater 05-28-2009 11:31 AM

Need some opinions

I'm new here and trying to build my first UDS. I was given a used drum with no lid. The drum used to have used motor oil in it at one time. The drum has been cleaned out, but I still need to burn it out. Would you be comfortable using this drum if was burned out really well and cleaned?

I'm having a tough time finding some where to find a food grade drum, even though I live in a large metro area.

Thanks for any replies.

Smoke-eater

Mark 05-28-2009 12:17 PM

Smoke-eater:

If the inside rusts, it's proof of nothing but pure plain steel; thus safe.

gtsum 05-28-2009 03:33 PM

I think I am gonna go ahead and build one up and see how she does...as many of you using these, and from the pics, they must work pretty well!

StayDown 05-29-2009 08:02 AM

so I have read this entire thing and I have a question that may or may not have been covered.

There seems to be some difference of opinion on what to use as far as lump vs. briquettes. Can you use lump and get a long burn? Or is a mixture better? What about flavor of the meat from igniting the non lump?

My charcoal basket is 16" in diameter and 8.5" tall.

dgassaway 05-29-2009 08:49 AM

I'm still a green horn and still learning on my UDS so I can only speak from my experience over the last few weeks. I have tried mixing lump and Kingsford briquettes and I have used briquettes only.

The mix lights faster, seems to burn a little hotter but also had me tinkering with the ball valve more to handle temperature fluctuations. Take off the lid and she really gets going and is hard to get the temperature back down.

Plain charcoal on the other hand is a little tougher to light but burns longer and steadier, seems to hold the set temperature better for me. This is what I use for all my cooks now.

As far as taste, hell everything seems to be good off the UDS if cooked right.

I have also found that if I need to do much work under the lid, wrap in foil or turn meat, that if I take lift the grate out with the meat and put the lid back on to keep air from getting to my fire, do what I have to do, then put the meat back in, it keeps flare ups or heat spikes down to a minimum. In other words, keep the lid on as much as possible.

Just my 2¢ worth. Hope it helps.

David

StayDown 05-29-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgassaway (Post 936990)
I'm still a green horn and still learning on my UDS so I can only speak from my experience over the last few weeks. I have tried mixing lump and Kingsford briquettes and I have used briquettes only.

The mix lights faster, seems to burn a little hotter but also had me tinkering with the ball valve more to handle temperature fluctuations. Take off the lid and she really gets going and is hard to get the temperature back down.

Plain charcoal on the other hand is a little tougher to light but burns longer and steadier, seems to hold the set temperature better for me. This is what I use for all my cooks now.

As far as taste, hell everything seems to be good off the UDS if cooked right.

I have also found that if I need to do much work under the lid, wrap in foil or turn meat, that if I take lift the grate out with the meat and put the lid back on to keep air from getting to my fire, do what I have to do, then put the meat back in, it keeps flare ups or heat spikes down to a minimum. In other words, keep the lid on as much as possible.

Just my 2¢ worth. Hope it helps.

David

Thanks for that info. So you have noticed no odd taste from the briquettes? What type are you using?

dgassaway 05-29-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StayDown (Post 937023)
Thanks for that info. So you have noticed no odd taste from the briquettes? What type are you using?

I have mostly cooked fattys and butts on it and I can't tell any difference. Some guys might but it's all the same to me. Mmmm...Good!

I've been using the Kingsford. HD had it 2 for $8.97 last weekend.

David

Smokin' D 05-29-2009 10:05 AM

[quote

There seems to be some difference of opinion on what to use as far as lump vs. briquettes. Can you use lump and get a long burn? Or is a mixture better? What about flavor of the meat from igniting the non lump?

My charcoal basket is 16" in diameter and 8.5" tall.[/quote]

My basket is 13" dia. x 12" tall. Never filled to the top though.
I use just lump and smoke wood in all of my cookers. I don't like the smell or the taste produced by the briquettes lighting off. I will use briquettes for grilling or even starting off the smokers, but no meat of mine is near an unlit briquette.

otis 05-29-2009 02:54 PM

Now you've gone and done it. Gonna make me put away my new toy I got for my birthday. I received a Char Griller Duo this spring to replace an old old gas grill that I could no longer get parts for. It had a SFB, so we tried using it since it was there anyway. WOW!! Had never given it a thought until then. My first couple smokes hooked me HARD!! It's a whole new taste sensation for our family. BBQ with the flavor in the meat istead of having to drown stuff in sauce. I'm having trouble holding temps in the CG, and I'm tired of babysitting it, I started researching solutions. I kept running across references on different sites to these UDS things...

You've got me convinced that this is the way to go for "set it and forget it" smoking. At least in comparison to the messing about I'm having to do with the CG. The CG will stay for direct cooks and maybe more playing with it trying to get it to hold a temp properly. The build quality on it is horrendous. Chineze standards all the way through.

I've been trying to find a near-freebie barrel the last few weeks, to no avail. I know I've seen them in the past out behind automotive shops and in the industrial sections of town. I've been up and down alleys all over town trying to find one. Steel drums don't seem to be a dime-a-dozen like they used to be (too many places switching to plastic drums). I did some calling around today and found a couple used drums for 15 bucks--the UN-rated heavy metal units. Supposed to be good and sound, just not pretty.

I was wanting to do this as cheap as possible, but it looks like I'm going to have to buy the grates. I figure magnets to cover the intakes--there's a gazillion on the fridge. I can probably scrounge some expanded metal at the in-laws next weekend for the firebox. Or I can use the one I made for the CG. Is 12 X 12 X6 big enough to do me any good in a UDS? I can add bolts to the bottom to raise it up.

One thing I have not seen come up on this thread (and yes, I've read it all) is directing the air flow through the firebox. On the SFB, I concocted a baffle that blocked air from going around the charcoal basket. This would seem like a good idea on a UDS, but nobody has mentioned it. I'm thinking fold-down flaps on the charcaol box that would conform to the inside contour of the drum. After you put the firebox in place, you would just knock the flaps down, creating a barrier, forcing all air to go through the fire. It should allow you to create a hotter fire with less fuel. meaning that the charcoal should last even longer at the lower temps we smoke at. Or is the air flowing around the firebox needed to create that "convection" effect you guys mention frequently? It might also make it easier to clean the bottom out. You would be bringing the bottom up with you everytime you took the charcoal box out. Any thoughts? Seems logical to me, but what do I know? I'm new at this.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. The info here is terrific. Even the info that isn't always in agreement. Most folks here seem to be pretty laid-back and not overly dogmatic that something has to be done "THIS way, and ONLY this way"

I'll post pics as I get into the build.

MattCom 05-29-2009 03:47 PM

I have a SS 55gal drum and I really do not want to attempt to remove the top w/ a saws-all and cutting wheel.
So do any of you know what types of companies use these Barrel-deheaders?

Mark 06-03-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattCom (Post 937376)
I have a SS 55gal drum and I really do not want to attempt to remove the top w/ a saws-all and cutting wheel.
So do any of you know what types of companies use these Barrel-deheaders?

Lotsa stuff on "deheader" Just use the search function

Dr_KY 06-03-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otis (Post 937334)
me any good in a UDS? I can add bolts to the bottom to raise it up.

One thing I have not seen come up on this thread (and yes, I've read it all) is directing the air flow through the firebox. On the SFB, I concocted a baffle that blocked air from going around the charcoal basket. This would seem like a good idea on a UDS, but nobody has mentioned it. I'm thinking fold-down flaps on the charcaol box that would conform to the inside contour of the drum. After you put the firebox in place, you would just knock the flaps down, creating a barrier, forcing all air to go through the fire. It should allow you to create a hotter fire with less fuel. meaning that the charcoal should last even longer at the lower temps we smoke at. Or is the air flowing around the firebox needed to create that "convection" effect you guys mention frequently? It might also make it easier to clean the bottom out. You would be bringing the bottom up with you everytime you took the charcoal box out. Any thoughts? Seems logical to me, but what do I know? I'm new at this.

Sorta like a putting cup?
http://fairgolf.co.uk/images/product...PuttingCup.jpg

Norcoredneck 06-03-2009 04:02 PM

Cup like that catching 4 butts of grease, might be quite the nmess after a few cooks. You got a fire/heat at the bottom of a tube, where else can it go but up? remember what ever you put down in there has to clear the grate supports on the way up.

RI-Deadeye 06-03-2009 07:59 PM

SS Drum Build

One SS drum 95% complete, pics to follow. One question, for the inaugural cherry busting should I spray with Pam or just go ahead and throw a well rubbed Pork Butt on? I am on the fence on this because I really am having difficulty with the idea of just burning lump and some wood and not having any meat on the grill, it just seems so wasteful.

Smokin' D 06-03-2009 08:06 PM

Just spray it down, fire it up and put some meat on it. Fattys seem to be the favorite inaugural sacrifice. Once the meat is done ramp up the heat for a while and then shut it down. You will feel good at not just cooking air and you will have drum with the beginnings of a life time of seasoning. Happy cooking.

hondad 06-04-2009 12:49 AM

question from a newb

I have been reading this thread for at least a hour a day for over a week, and I so want to build one of these! My problem is I can't find a food-grade barrel, no one in this area sells new barrels, and to buy a new barrel, or even a used one, from out-of-state adds about 50 bucks to the price.
I have a few potential leads on barrels that have contained motor oil, hydraulic fluid, and gear grease - would any of these be safe to use [after a burn-out, of course]?

Norcoredneck 06-04-2009 03:40 AM

Keep reading, opinions vary.:biggrin:

StayDown 06-04-2009 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondad (Post 941656)
I have been reading this thread for at least a hour a day for over a week, and I so want to build one of these! My problem is I can't find a food-grade barrel, no one in this area sells new barrels, and to buy a new barrel, or even a used one, from out-of-state adds about 50 bucks to the price.
I have a few potential leads on barrels that have contained motor oil, hydraulic fluid, and gear grease - would any of these be safe to use [after a burn-out, of course]?

I suggest putting an ad on craigs list or your local freecycle.

hondad 06-04-2009 09:06 AM

I tried the Craig's List ad last week - got about seven replies, most from folks that had barrels with oil, hydraulic fluid, truck bed liner - only one guy had two barrels that were food grade 9 { a board member, btw} but he wasn't really interested in selling. Looks like I might end up with one very expensive UDS, because it is looking like I will have to have one shipped to me.

Mark 06-04-2009 09:17 AM

Actually hondad, an unlined barrel that contained motor oil, is safer than a lined barrel that you have to burn out. Just clean it out with some strong detergent and see if it starts to rust. If it does, you're good to go.

Norcoredneck 06-04-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 941845)
Actually hondad, an unlined barrel that contained motor oil, is safer than a lined barrel that you have to burn out. Just clean it out with some strong detergent and see if it starts to rust. If it does, you're good to go.

Tide powder with warm water cuts oil residue real well.