The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

EvilTwin v2 11-12-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babyboomerboy (Post 1083107)
I bet you can cook some meat real fast at 800*

Oh yeah. Hook a leaf blower up to the intake & watch the drum start to glow! :icon_devil

At least it should be safe to cook in now.

I should have it painted today. I'm still trying to decide on a damper setup for the intake & exhaust.

Typically 11-12-2009 07:57 AM

do you need a ladder to put the meat on?? :D that thing is gonna be a beast!!!!

EvilTwin v2 11-12-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typically (Post 1083361)
do you need a ladder to put the meat on?? :D that thing is gonna be a beast!!!!

:biggrin:

It's only 5'2" at the top of the lid...just over 4' at the bottom of the lid.

jetfxr27 11-12-2009 01:37 PM

That puts the U in Ugleeeeeeeee.

jswordy 11-12-2009 01:52 PM

bdon and others wondering when the liner is burned out enough:

When it is burned out enough, you should be able to use a pressure washer or take the drum to the helpie-selfie car wash and simply wash out the residue. You can tell it is ready if it is whitish or pinkish and flat, and if you can run your fingernail over the cooled barrel inside and scrap off paint.

The very best thing I have found to burn out liners is a Harbor Freight weed burner, which saves a lot of time, and which you will later use time and again as a jet engine method of starting your coals quickly, so go out and spend the $20 or whatever and get one. Just start burning around the inside of the barrel with that thing, and it will remove all the inside and outside coatings.

SmokinAussie 11-13-2009 05:50 PM

Just joined from Australia... No such thing as a UDS here, and had never heard of one before....but plenty of Drums. Just checked around on eBay and it won't be long before I have got me a food grade drum. SO unless any other Aussies have done it, I think I'm gonna make the first UDS in Oz. I have a ship load of stuff to read in this thread first tho!

Skidder 11-13-2009 06:01 PM

Evil that has to be one of the UGLIEST barrels yet. Nice job!! That thing is gonna put out some great bbq. Please post pics. Again nice work. I meant Ugly in a good way.

EvilTwin v2 11-14-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidder (Post 1085141)
Evil that has to be one of the UGLIEST barrels yet. Nice job!! That thing is gonna put out some great bbq. Please post pics. Again nice work. I meant Ugly in a good way.

Thanks!

There are 3 butts on it right now. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow as they come off. :biggrin:

69cam 11-14-2009 11:04 AM

Hi to all.

Just wondering if a drum that used to contain water based latex paint, would be safe to use?

Thanks
Kevin

QuietOne 11-14-2009 05:11 PM

One never knows what a drum is lined with and most are even if the lining is a thin coat of varnish or nukote or light plastic/BPA.

Drill some air holes 1" X 3 (4). Burn it HOT. Burn it LONG. Wash it scrub it and then Burn it again. Clean it up. Work it over with a knotted wire on angle grinder. Sander. Wire brush. Wash again. So that all the loose metal bits and abrasives go down the drain at the car wash.

Add a grate and charcoal basket. Coat the inside with lard. Fire it up. While the drum seasons play with Temp control. Let it run low for a bit then run it wide open and then slow it down. Hopefully closing everything down will put you out within 15 minutes or so. Find these things out before you start to cook.

Find where 210 -240 is on your air inlet(s). Mine it works out to 2 holes closed with magnets the one air inlet with the 1" ball valve little over 1/3 open. (My air inlets were drilled with a Irwin Uni-bit to 1 3/8")

Second run do it the same but you don't have to run it wide open, put a couple fatties on there, if something goes wrong you're not losing a lot.

Again work the temp control. I found that the Minion method and lighting 8 coals in the Weber lighter and putting in a small dent on the charcoal basket, dropping the coals on, that with the 2 holes uncovered and the gate valve wide it took about 25-35 mins to get the temperature climbing to 205 and I shut the two holes with magnets, at 210 I nudged the ball valve to 1/3 open. Drum went up to 240 and dropped to 230-215 for hours.

If I didn't lift the lid it stayed right there. Lift the lid the temp spikes up once all the way to 340F and I'd have to narrow down the valve so that the temp drops back down then open to 1/3 when it hits 235. I've found that if I close the ball valve for 5 mins then open the lid I don't get that spike or at least not so bad. (sorry my temps are in F(unny) degrees my turkey fryer therm is US temps though it's made in China)

Longest cook I've had so far was 10 hours at -10C and a pork loin roast that was to DIE for. Swear it was like "OH MY GOD. groan grunt smack smack, HANDS off it's mine" But then no pics so it didn't really happen.

Since I made my UDS I'm using it 3 - 5 times a week. I've gained 4 Kilos. Food coming off is so good one just eats more. Plus the fact that I'm cooking 5 Kg roasts and 4Kg butts and brining turkeys and chicken and pork loin and tenderloin and .... I've got to get a good vacuum sealer so I can freeze leftovers rather than FORCING (yeah right) myself to eat them.

makizoo 11-14-2009 09:41 PM

4480 posts. Did it. Read 'em all. Do I get a t-shirt or sumthin'? Spent the day in the garage watching my barrel burn in the pouring rain. The build starts tomorrow.

Paul B 11-14-2009 09:45 PM

Your only reward is now YOU have to post as much pron as you can.

Paul B

MushCreek 11-15-2009 07:05 AM

Now you can figure out how to incorporate everyone's suggestions, yet keep the weight of your drum under 500 lbs.!

Captain Dave 11-15-2009 08:02 AM

Why does everybody use 4 inlet holes? I never use the third or forth. Is there a reason?

h20loo 11-15-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Dave (Post 1086180)
Why does everybody use 4 inlet holes? I never use the third or forth. Is there a reason?

Because they didn't make the first one big enough?:biggrin:
Four holes is good when you are burning the barrel, live in a cold climate and want to hit high temps for chicken or whatever or for the people who just need everything to be symetrical.