PDA

View Full Version : Any reviews for maverick et-732?

prodano
02-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Hello fellow BBQ enthusiasts! I am wondering if anybody has a review for the new maverick et-732. I am interested in buying either the 73 or the 732, but am not sure if it is worth the extra money. I have watched the video review and been to the maverick website, but thought I would check with the brethren first.

Otherwise, are there any other suggestions? I am planning on using it for grilling as well so I don't think I will go with the thermoworks equivalent. Thanks for the help!

Dan

Groundhog66
02-01-2011, 05:03 PM
I have a 732, but have only used it once. The receiver arrived with a defective power button, but they replaced it. I really like it because it syncs easier than my ET-72, I would recommend it.

SCBBQBill
02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I've got both of those and believe me it's worth the extra money to get the ET-732. I've used mine about 10 times already. No problems so far with the ET-732 but I have lost signal with my ET-73 less than 40 feet from the grill.

righteousdog
02-01-2011, 05:37 PM
i really like the remember settings and on-off moved to the outside.

BUT... then i was foiled by the T-I-N-Y screws for the battery cover on the transmitter.

now i need a T-I-N-Y screwdriver in the mix??

wtf :doh:

Cast Iron Chef
02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Here's some reading for you:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94276

Campfire Girl
02-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Here's some reading for you:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94276

This is a great review, worth the time to watch the video.

Rover24
02-01-2011, 06:28 PM
I've only used mine once, and it worked perfectly. It never lost connection between the transmitter and receiver even when I took the receiver into the house, over three rooms, then upstairs. Kept reception through three walls and one floor. I see many nights ahead of me with my new baby monitor by my beside for overnight smokes.

Well worth the purchase. Now I just have to find an easier way to run the wires on my WSM. Running through the exhaust worked, but made things difficult when it came time to foil my butt.

Jaberwabee
02-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I have a 732, but have only used it once. The receiver arrived with a defective power button, but they replaced it. I really like it because it syncs easier than my ET-72, I would recommend it.

I bought mine but haven't been able to use it, because it won't turn on. I haven't been able to return it yet, since I bought it out of town.

prodano
02-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the responses, now I'm not sure what to do with the mixed reviews. I wish they all worked as good as they sound. Who am I kidding, I will probably still buy it!

Cast Iron Chef
02-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Now I just have to find an easier way to run the wires on my WSM. Running through the exhaust worked, but made things difficult when it came time to foil my butt.

Buy these eyelets from BBQ Guru:

http://www.thebbqguru.com/search.php?search_query=eyelet

Groundhog66
02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I bought mine but haven't been able to use it, because it won't turn on. I haven't been able to return it yet, since I bought it out of town.

Contact Maverick directly, they will replace it for you.

Rover24
02-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Buy these eyelets from BBQ Guru:

http://www.thebbqguru.com/search.php?search_query=eyelet

Thanks for the link! That is definitely a simple solution.

Is there clearance to get the meat probe through the eyelet as well as the smoker probe? I can see that the straight smoker probe would fit easy peasy, but not sure about the bend on the meat probe.

Cast Iron Chef
02-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Bent probe goes through fine. A little tougher then straight when hot but works great.

SmokeOn
02-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the responses, now I'm not sure what to do with the mixed reviews. I wish they all worked as good as they sound. Who am I kidding, I will probably still buy it!

If you have neither, I would go with the 732. I have a 73 and I like it a lot. I did the range modification to it and it works well for me. The 732 has features that I really wish the 73 had and I think Maverick is responding to customer demands with the release of that model. One big feature of the 732 over the 73 is the 732 will tell you when it loses signal. The 73 will not and it will continue to display the temperatures as if it were still reading. I find this very annoying in the 73.

Chef Jim
02-02-2011, 09:01 AM
I just ordered mine yesterday from 5-0 BBQ. He is one of the Brethren and will give a discount to us. I like to keep it in the family.

JayBirde
02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Some really good review at this site: http://www.smokingpit.com/Info/Maverick-ET-732-Review.htm

5-0 BBQ
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Here is the video we did for a product review. Maverick liked it so we did the one on their site as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jbcpaschal#p/u/1/rUk8-AHa4tQ

Stoke&Smoke
02-02-2011, 03:03 PM
I bought two from 5-0 a while back. Have only tried one of them once but the reception is definitely better than the original, and it's great not to have to take the door off (except to change batteries) Fortunatly, I had a jewelers screwdriver with a phillips head to open it!

prodano
02-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Great thanks a lot for the responses. I will be ordering mine within the next week - I will consider it a belated Christmas present!

FltEng
02-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Love my 732; partially melted the transmitter but it still works. No broblems with range or losing sync.

5-0 BBQ
02-03-2011, 08:57 PM
partially melted the transmitter but it still works. What happened?

leanza
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
What i dont like on the 73 is how you can loose signal and not know because the digital display will not change when you loose signal. So, if my temp goes up and down after I loose signal, I wont know because the last temp reading remains. I hate that. Did they improve the unit so that if I loose signal I dont have to go to the transmitter to find out? I need something more reliable than waiting a minute or two to see an icon that's telling me Im receiving. Very important to me.

jmcphail
02-04-2011, 06:08 AM
I have one and have used it twice - no problems and it works as advertised.

I haven't worked up the nerve to rely on it to wake me up yet...

bigfootinindiana
02-04-2011, 07:15 AM
I bought one Monday from 5-0 through amazon. I wish I had checked here first, didnt know they were members and there was a discount available. Oh well at least my money is going to a good place. The ability to know when you lose signal was the "no brainer" selling point for me.

FltEng
02-05-2011, 02:37 PM
I have a thermal blanket that I use to insulate one of my smokers and I did not realize that the transmitter was under it; the heat from the smoker was trapped under the blanket and melted the plastic case. Like I said it has not affected the operation with the exception of the bottom part of the LCD cannot be read...

5-0 BBQ
02-05-2011, 06:46 PM
I have a thermal blanket that I use to insulate one of my smokers and I did not realize that the transmitter was under it; the heat from the smoker was trapped under the blanket and melted the plastic case. Like I said it has not affected the operation with the exception of the bottom part of the LCD cannot be read...Man that stinks.

Boshizzle
02-19-2011, 09:48 AM
I have one that I have been using for the last few weeks. I also have the older model 73. I never had a problem with the older version losing the connection between the tx and rx. But, the new one loses connections regularly. Maybe I got a dud, but I'm not that impressed with mine.

Mcockrell
02-19-2011, 04:01 PM
just ordered one from 5-0!!!

5-0 BBQ
02-19-2011, 04:19 PM
I have one that I have been using for the last few weeks. I also have the older model 73. I never had a problem with the older version losing the connection between the tx and rx. But, the new one loses connections regularly. Maybe I got a dud, but I'm not that impressed with mine.
Did you get yours from me?

darita
02-19-2011, 05:56 PM
If your retailer won't make it good, I'm sure the manufacturer will send you a new one that works. They've been good to me.

the_hunchback
02-21-2011, 08:05 AM
I love mine. I did my first overnight cook with it this weekend and actually got some sleep. In the past I would have stayed up to monitor the pit temps but with the remote and setting high/low for the pit I could actually get some sleep. I still set my alarm for every couple hours but that was because I wasn't used to it and next time there won't be any alarm setting :)