PDA

View Full Version : Can a 20 lb ham be done in 9 hours???

cayenne
11-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Hi all,

I'm puzzled...I got my fresh ham on last night about 11pm. Internal temp was 45F when I put it on.

I put wood on about every 2 - 2.5 hrs last night. At 7:30 am....I stoked the fire again...a little high 'cause I'd over slept a bit..and it looked a bit low. I just checked,, smoke chamber temp up to about 220.

I checked the ham, and on the digital probe appears to be about 138F!!!!!

It was cool, and still is...low 50's outside.....can this thing possibly be near done?? Last night...smoke chamber temps were in the 160 range all night...

I'd read you were supposed to take out of smoker at 145 and wrap and cooler at that point with the fresh ham.

I'd planned on a 20 hour cook with this thing...so, I'm a little concerned I've got something screwy going on here....

Advice appreciated...

Cayenne

Solidkick
11-25-2004, 09:24 AM
140* is a SAFE range for a fully cooked ham.

You stated that this is a fresh ham in another thread, therefore I would say that it should be cooked to a MINIMUM of 160*.

When the Belly Bros cooked a smoker full of hams for a party, I believe that their cook time was 12-14 hours, AFTER the hams were divided in half, BUT they cooked to about 185* so it could be pulled for sandwiches. And their cooker is double insulated and holds heat extremely well.

I think your initial planning of 20 hours in a Bandera type cooker would be a close estimate.

chad
11-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Since this is fresh ham 160 at the bone would be safe for sure.

frognot
11-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Or you could always boil it like ribs to be safe . . .

Just kidding, Bill is the only person i know who likes boiled ribs better than smoked. :shock:

chad
11-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Since you want to slice this pull it out at 160-170. It's ham, not pulled pork! :D The concern will be that since it's such a large piece of meat and has the bone in to ensure that it has cooked all the way to the bone.

Sounds like it's going to be great!! You got au gratin or esscalloped potatoes to go with that??

cayenne
11-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Since you want to slice this pull it out at 160-170. It's ham, not pulled pork! :D The concern will be that since it's such a large piece of meat and has the bone in to ensure that it has cooked all the way to the bone.

Sounds like it's going to be great!! You got au gratin or esscalloped potatoes to go with that??

Thanx for all the input. Ok...is about 160 now...will give it a degree or two more. I'm thinking just foil it, take it out and put it in a cooler or just on the counter?

Well, so far...got 2 of my first fatties on now...a boob...Mom and I (flew her down here) just made deviled eggs...home made cranberry sauce from a new recipe she found..gonna do a great potato dish which believe it or not, starts with frozen hash browns...has a couple of kinds of grated cheese..sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and topped with cornflake crumbs...

We also have made a cheesecake...gonna do a butternut squash dish..

And...I've already broken into the Turkey (101 proof).

:-)

C

midnight
11-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey cayenne,
Could you post your hashbrown recipe or email it to me? I used to make a dish just like it but used crushed potato chips on top. I lost the recipe and would love to have a new one.

spicewine
11-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Cayenne: I lived in Nawlins for 4 years. What part of the city are you from? You have good smoking weather year round if you can put up with the fire ants and skeeters.

cayenne
11-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Cayenne: I lived in Nawlins for 4 years. What part of the city are you from? You have good smoking weather year round if you can put up with the fire ants and skeeters.

I live on Canal Blvd. at the edge of the Lakeview area...nice area, safe and all. I've got the whole top floor of a house I'm renting and have my smoker (and home brewing stuff) on the upper deck.

Yeah...the skeeters are a bitch...but, not much a problem with fire ants anyplace I've lived down here...

Also, I'll try to remember to post my potato casserole for the other person on this thread...will look for it when I get home this evening.

The HAM turned out great....I erred on the side of caution since I didn't think I'd had quite enough time to cure...and took the temp to about 170 F internal. The ham tasted great, but, I think would have been perfectly juicy at 160 or so...will take it off a bit earlier next time.

Cure seems to have permeated about 98% of the ham..only a few areas were slightly blotchy and not 100% pink.

I think I overdid my fatties too...will try those again.

Overall...fantastic success on my first whole fresh ham...and our meal(s) were great. Enjoying leftovers now.

Thanks to all on the list which suggestions, links and advice...

Cayenne