PDA

View Full Version : Curing Rib Tips

The_Kapn
01-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Anyone cured, then smoked, rib tips ?

I intend to try it, just wondering if I am wasting my time.

Thanks,

TIM

btcg
01-21-2011, 09:54 AM
None of mine ever had a disease.

Seriously though, it might be good.

Big George's BBQ
01-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Would love to hear how it turned out

bover
01-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't say you'd be wasting your time. Tips are good meat, they're just a pain in the keister to eat. I've always found the best use for rib tips is to grind them up for sausage and then roll yourself a fatty!

ssbbqguy
01-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Just throw them into a shallow pan, add rub and some juice, rub and a little sauce, braise until tender. No curing needed, just low and slow. I get many requests for these. I presume you meant brining? On tips I don't. Not enough meat. Good luck. Steve.

The_Kapn
01-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Before this thread gets off track, I smoke lots of rib tips.

Asking specifically if anyone has cured them.

I am guessing a hammy or baconny flavor or somewhere in between.

TIM

bigabyte
01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
I have cured ribs before.:eek::bolt::behindsofa:

The spares were trimmed St. Louis style after curing, but I didn't know what to do with the non-skirt trimmings and I gave them to my MIL. She liked them. Heck, I cured just about every meat I could get my hands on a few years ago experimenting with Tenderquick, ribs were no exception.

The BB's tasted like ham. Not hammy, they tasted full on like ham. I suppose they probably tasted more like Canadian Bacon...but even that tastes like Ham!:becky: The spares took on a hammy flavor as well. I think had i seasoned them differently (sweetened actually) I could have probabyl made them taste like Buckboard Bacon, but i have not tried it again other than that one time.

I will say this though from those experimenting days. Some of the best pulled pork leftovers I had were the leftovers made from a combination of regular pulled pork and the pulled leftovers from a cured pork butt, which tasted like pulled ham. The two mixed together made for some yummy stuff. I've never done it again though, so even though it was good, I guess it wasn't worth the extra effort to cure a butt along with cooking a regular butt in the long run.

FattyMac
01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I've never done it myself but I have bought them from my local Polish market.
I would say they are between ham and bacon, depends how much fat is on them.

Used them to make Bigos like my nana used to make, that's a stew of sauerkraut and meat, very tasty. I also use it in beans/soup like you would a hock.

T.K.
01-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Hey Tim, it sounds yummy. Try it and bring some to Lakeland next weekend so I can sample. :becky:

Seriously, it should be like pancetta or so but would probably take 2-3 weeks.