PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scout BBQ Hamburgers in smoked Au Jus!

Ashmont
01-16-2011, 12:16 PM
I was given the privilege to camp in a cabin (et) this weekend with my sons troupe! Cooked burgers (60/40) mix blah. Now I was asked by the cheap arse that bought these awful things to make them taste better. Um Dude you bought them.... So while the kids were doing the scheduled events and one of our camp leader who can cook pleaded with me to do something or the kids were gonna kill the leaders. I sat down with her and several cups of coffee later. DING! I have known her along time and she knew I had a plan.:whoo::whoo: Okay what is the plan Ash?:thumb: Yes she knows me as Ash too! Baby get the dutch oven and a Aluminum pan. Oh guess who's Kettle I was using? Yup Adambombs! Stoked up the fire with hickory! Pan of beef broth we normally use for Au Jus. Smoked the broth for a little over an hour. Man It took on a great smokey flavor put the POS burgers in the dutch oven with the smokey broth. Put on low heat not to cook but keep warm. OH MAN all the kids loved them! Then I loved this part the cheap arse who bought the burgers comments "Oh I could have done better!" Remember my friend the other leader calls him outside rails on him then locked him in the out house:heh::heh::heh::heh::laugh::laugh::laugh::cla p2::clap2::clap2: Sorry no pics as were are not allowed any electronics. Too many kids loosing games ect..... I will be doing this again...... And also it is about scouting not siting in a cabin (et) playing games. Well except cards at night. On the way home Adam thanked me and said I rocked as he knew what I did. Thank you son. I wonder if he ever got out of the outhouse? We have been home for 2 hours now! Better call the ranger!:doh: Now where is his number I have it here somewhere...

ksace
01-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Oh what a lucky scout troop. Back in the day the leaders never cooked for us and man we used to have some awful food. Had some really good food also but the leaders always did their own thing and never shared. Keep up the great work, scouting is worth it.

thillin
01-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Good save. I can't wait for my boy to get a little older and involved with the Boy Scouts.

Ashmont
01-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Oh what a lucky scout troop. Back in the day the leaders never cooked for us and man we used to have some awful food. Had some really good food also but the leaders always did their own thing and never shared. Keep up the great work, scouting is worth it.

It is all a learning process! You dont teach them they dont learn but once you show them back off and let them ride. (Hmmm sounds familiar to here)I stand in the back now and they do quite well on their own. Every now and then some mortal support intervention is needed! Thanks guys and gals.... Oh where is that phone number?:doh:

bluetang
01-16-2011, 06:53 PM
That's hot chit there Ash, a meal saved and another bonehead down:thumb:

jestridge
01-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Now 60/40 is some fat burger

RAZORBACK JIM
01-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Nice save!!

Jim

Jay Bird
01-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Great story! In my Scout days, we had to cook our own & brush them off when they dropped in the dirt.

bigabyte
01-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Whoa! Great save!:cool: You should get a special camping patch for that.:thumb:

Norcoredneck
01-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Cool save! I remember in my youth having to panhandle some eggs and use our hot chocolate because someone got the wrong pancake mix.

millsy
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
I am lucky mine is a girl guide and all I have to worry about is cookies.I sure had fun when I was a scout though.

chambersuac
01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Ash, those Scouts probably don't realize how close they came to eating some crappy burgers, but at least you, your friend, and Adam did - and so did the jackwagon that bought the meat. Next time, I hope they will let you be in charge of the food from the beginning. Just don't give them any of those famous "not that hot peppers" LOL

Ashmont
01-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Ash, those Scouts probably don't realize how close they came to eating some crappy burgers, but at least you, your friend, and Adam did - and so did the jackwagon that bought the meat. Next time, I hope they will let you be in charge of the food from the beginning. Just don't give them any of those famous "not that hot peppers" LOL

It was very close! I actually received an apology from the higher ups! Just because your camping does mean you have to eat something bought at the dollar store. NTTAWWT just need to be prepared. I would have rather had a VEGGIE burger than what he bought.:shock: Oh as far as the peppers now you gave me an idear! Jackwagon burger! Only for him!!!!!!!!!! (NO I wont do that):heh:

anygrill
01-17-2011, 06:16 PM
We called those " CHAR! Burgers" When I was in the scouts. My Scout leader said "char" like a pirate. The good ol' days

landarc
01-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Ashmont saves the day, hopefully he hasn't found any snakes in the outhouse.

On anther tip, I need to try smoking au jus, that sounds like a good trick to have up my sleeve.

Ashmont
01-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Ashmont saves the day, hopefully he hasn't found any snakes in the outhouse.

On anther tip, I need to try smoking au jus, that sounds like a good trick to have up my sleeve.

Yes it is awesome! I now prefer hickory or Mesquite for this type of smoking. I don't think a fruit wood would get a full flavor for the burgers but everybody taste are different.:thumb: Oh as far as snakes I called N8man but the phone was busy! Hope he got my message!:doh: