PDA

View Full Version : Big Difference between smokers?

ssj4vinh
01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Hello,

I was wondering how much of a difference there was between using the following for smoking:

1. weber kettle with modifications such as smokenator, firebrick
2. WSM or other similar smokers
3. offset smokers

What are the differences in taste? Will I be able to get meat as tender with all three? etc.

Thanks!

Anchors Smokeshop
01-12-2011, 04:33 PM
If you are new to smoking, I would go with the WSM. It is the perfect smoker for newbies and pro's. The 18.5" WSM is affordable, easy to use and makes the perfect bbq every time you use it.
The kettle will work, but it is better to use as a charcoal barbecue.
Offsets will also work, but aren't as easy to manage temps.
I have all 3 types of smokers and I highly recommend the WSM.

BobBrisket
01-12-2011, 04:37 PM
How bout a little more detail about he Kettle, Smokenator, and Fire Brick combo? I see no need for a Smokenator on a Kettle. Are you referring to using the firebrick to bank the coals to one side. You can get tender meat with all of em. Just comes down to knowing your pit, how to work it, and what it can do, intake, exhaust, etc.

As far as taste difference, you may notice a bit of a difference from the meat done on an offset if using all wood. The kettle, WSM are about the same if using coal and wood chunks, pretty much.

bigabyte
01-12-2011, 05:01 PM
They are all very different, and I will only talk about WSM and offsets as I have lots of experience smoking with both of those, and much less with a kettle with those sort of mods.

A WSM is a great cooker. It produces consistent results and is a very easy to use cooker. It uses tremendously less fuel than an offset, and can run anywhere from 8 to over 24 hours without needing to refuel (based on charcoal used and other factors). WSM's are what I use. I find them to be the best world-class cooker value-wise. (UDS can be argued here but you have to build your own).

An offset is a good cooker as well, but I would really only look into one over a WSM if you are talking about a larger offset, one that can burn split logs as the source of fuel. The flavor from a pure stickburner is the best in my opinion, but it comes with a cost of labor to keep it running. They usually have to be refueled every couple hours or so, and you should keep an eye on them since you may make adjustments throughout your cook, so it requires a lot of attention compared to a WSM.

People have won championships with both WSM's and offsets, so the flavor difference is not that dramatic or important, but it is there (just my opinion, others may disagree). If you have the time and the money to run an offset, that would be my primary choice, and after that I would never hesitate to go straight to a WSM.

You may also consider vertical units like Spicewine, Backwoods and Stumps cookers if you are considering the WSM route, but have the money for a large offset. Just fgood for thought.

landarc
01-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I smoke on a kettle and can make good BBQ on it. I do not use a Smokenator or Fire Bricks, but, they would be nice to own. It is more work, as there are definitely limits to using a kettle, especially tending and adding fuel and lack of meat capacity.

It also produces a different flavor profile than an off-set, at least in my mind. Could I tell which is which blind, probably not. But, I like ribs off of offsets most every time I have them. I am not a fan of the smaller offsets though. Just too much fuel consumption and fire maintenance.

For meats such as brisket and chicken, I really like a direct fire cooker and something like a UDS would be my choice, with an insulated vertical a dream as well. I think they produce an excellent product.

zydecopaws
01-12-2011, 06:25 PM
I can't speak to the offset, but there is a big difference in effort and (in my experience) the amount of smoke flavor between the kettle and WSM. The WSM is much easier to control and adjust at the lower temps, not to mention less effort in keeping it filled up with coals for longer cooks.

I've used the poor man's version of fire bricks in the kettle (in fact prefer that for most indirect cooking) and although it allows you pretty good control and the ability to do a Minion-style burn still isn't anywhere near as easy to use as a WSM. However, it does make it a lot easier to grill at the same time as you are smoking/cooking indirect.

nrok2118
01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
+1 for the wsm:grin:

bmanMA
01-12-2011, 06:42 PM
+2 WSM. Will make you love doing BBQ.

cdollar
01-12-2011, 06:53 PM
After cooking on offsets for 40 years, I switched to a WSM, and I love it. Do I still miss the offset? Sometimes I get a little nostalgic for the fire tending, but I guess I've gotten lazy in my old age.

You can make good Q in anything. I've seen great Q come from horizontally split barrels, old refrigerators, all sorts of goofy setups.

You are more in control of the taste than the cooker is. Just get the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

Chuck

noe.a.gonzalez
01-13-2011, 01:47 AM
I only have experience with offset smoker but would have to agree with the other posters in this thread. They use a lot of fuel and is not the "set it and forget it" type of smoking that you may be able to do with WSM or UDS.

I will say the frequent adding of fuel/keeping eye on temps creates plenty of opportunity to have adult drinks with the guys in the yard. :thumb:

Sammy_Shuford
01-13-2011, 02:00 AM
I don't own a WSM, but that's my reccomendation also!

Black Dog BBQ
01-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Never owned a WSM I cook on a offset stick burner and what the others have said is true. On cold windy days you stay busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest. It is fun sometimes though. I never intend to sell my offset but I do see an insulated vertical smoker in my future.

Get what you like and learn to control the temp. and you got it made!

Lake Dogs
01-13-2011, 07:29 AM
They are all very different, and I will only talk about WSM and offsets as I have lots of experience smoking with both of those, and much less with a kettle with those sort of mods.

A WSM is a great cooker. It produces consistent results and is a very easy to use cooker. It uses tremendously less fuel than an offset, and can run anywhere from 8 to over 24 hours without needing to refuel (based on charcoal used and other factors). WSM's are what I use. I find them to be the best world-class cooker value-wise. (UDS can be argued here but you have to build your own).

An offset is a good cooker as well, but I would really only look into one over a WSM if you are talking about a larger offset, one that can burn split logs as the source of fuel. The flavor from a pure stickburner is the best in my opinion, but it comes with a cost of labor to keep it running. They usually have to be refueled every couple hours or so, and you should keep an eye on them since you may make adjustments throughout your cook, so it requires a lot of attention compared to a WSM.

People have won championships with both WSM's and offsets, so the flavor difference is not that dramatic or important, but it is there (just my opinion, others may disagree). If you have the time and the money to run an offset, that would be my primary choice, and after that I would never hesitate to go straight to a WSM.

You may also consider vertical units like Spicewine, Backwoods and Stumps cookers if you are considering the WSM route, but have the money for a large offset. Just fgood for thought.

^^^ Bigabyte pretty much hit it for me. I've had and still have Weber 22's. I use them for quick/small smokes and of course grilling. For a while
I had a smaller WSM. I liked it, but I wanted more real estate and wanted
the different flavors that you get with offsets. I gave it away (many
years ago before Brethren was conceived) and purchased a very heavy
duty but towards the smaller side offset. I LOVE it. It lead to my
purchase of my Lang (offset with reverse flow). Now, as it ends up, I
prefer the offset reverse flow so much that I use it even for fairly smaller
cooks. It likes its fuel to be certain.

Panthers65
01-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Dare I say it?

UDS!

btcg
01-13-2011, 08:01 PM
SS,

Let's revert to math:

Subtract by 3, and add this...

Buy a Backwoods Smoker. You'll be glad you did!

Baby Back Maniac
01-13-2011, 10:43 PM
I've not used a offset, but I have owned a WSM and many kettles. The WSM is a great cooker, but there were a lot of things I didn't like about it. The biggest being that 1) it sits on the ground and 2) it's a pain to clean up with afterwards. Because of that, I gravitated towards using my Performer and never looked back.

Yeah, that capacity isn't as good as with the WSM, but's better than you'd think. I can cook a full packer or 2 8 pound pork butts or 4 racks of ribs without even getting "creative." I've I ever need more capacity than that, I've got attachments that allow me to do that.

The only downside is that the temperature control is not quite as tight as with an WSM, but it was certainly good enough to get the job done without a lot of fussing. I sprung for a temp controller and see that's totally a non-issue now. Contrary to what another poster said (sorry other poster) I actually think it's a lot easier to reload fuel in a kettle than the wsm whenever I need to do so.

Plus, the kettle is just more versatile.

My 2 cents.

mikeTRON
01-13-2011, 10:51 PM
SS,

Let's revert to math:

Subtract by 3, and add this...

Buy a Backwoods Smoker. You'll be glad you did!

I like math, and the Backwoods even more but for the $$ the WSM is where I put my money. :thumb:

That being said I would LOVE to buy a bigger cabinet type smoker.

bmanMA
01-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I like math, and the Backwoods even more but for the $$ the WSM is where I put my money. :thumb:

That being said I would LOVE to buy a bigger cabinet type smoker.

Start with the WSM. If you like the flavor and temp control, consider moving up to an insulated cabinet smoker to gain capacity. Very similar disciplines. My 2cents.

gtr
01-14-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm a dedicated offset guy, but I'd say if you're starting, get a wsm. A good offset will likely cost more and require more work. Also if you start with a wsm you can tell the missus you need to get a bigger cooker later so you can feed her family and friends when they come to visit. It's harder to make the case later for getting a smaller cooker when you already have an offset.

Or, more simply put, if you start with a wsm you have a better chance of ending up with more cookers!

Wampus
01-14-2011, 07:55 AM
I think it really depends upon MANY variables, of which you haven't really explained. In my mind, the following variables will (or would for me) determine which way to go:

1. Available money?
2. How much experience do you have in smoking?
3. Do you already have a grill?
4. How much food do you plan to cook?

Here's why I bring this up.....

All the cookers you mention will produce FINE BBQ. It all depends on what/how you plan to cook and the level of work/labor you want to provide to achieve it.

If you're new to smoking/BBQ, I say remove all the variables that you can so you can concentrate on the PROCESS of BBQ. For that, you should discard the offset, IMO. There's way too many things to deal with on an offset that will only distract you from the basic science of BBQ. A WSM or kettle will keep the "cooker issues" to a minimum.

IMHO, if you are relatively new to BBQ, you simply cannot go wrong with a Weber kettle. It is a proven GREAT tool. It is also the most versatile (IMO). You can grill, hot smoke, low 'n' slow smoke, whatever! It is also the cheapest of the 3 options. It's what I started on and I still cook on my OTS and Performer regularly, even though I now have several other smokers. I have never used firebick or a smokenator, only the stock kettle. I'm not saying these things don't make an improvement (I have no idea actually) but I don't know that you NEED them. Many a Brethren have and do produce FINE 'Q' with only an out of the box OTS.

The WSM is a great machine as well, but it's more $ than the kettle. You're not going to be able to grill (OK, you COULD....but....) on it like a kettle, but it's a very consistent, "fire it and walk away" cooker. You can cook for very long cooks with little to no work/babysitting.

The offset is my favorite tool to use, but it by FAR takes more work and attention during the cook. I like the flavor best off of mine, but again....it depends on how much I want to babysit it.

Finally, #4 (above) is also important. I have 4 kids so when I cook, I'm cooking for 6 at MINIMUM. If I have family over, I'm usually cooking for 14 or 15 people. So I have to think about capacity. My kettle ain't gonna get it done. My offset has 4 cook racks I can load up. If you are only cooking for 1 or 2, then a kettle will be fine. A UDS can still hold a lot of food (I have cooked 6 butts on an 18" WSM).

Affordability is a relative term, too. It's true that the WSM is very affordable when compared to a Lang, Spicewine, etc., but for ME.....$200-$300 is still WAY more than I want to spend on a light gage steel smoker. I spent $225 on my OK Joe Offset, but it's all 3/16" steel. Then again....I'm a true cheapskate.

For the money.......I say a UDS will get you capacity, fuel efficiency, and BBQ-ability.....but, OH....you didn't mention that one.....sorry:becky:

greg of the BGE
01-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I noticed a distinct lack of Green Egg options in your list. WTF? :-)

jestridge
01-14-2011, 11:42 AM
If this is your first smoker you should buy a cheapo. Then if you decide that you enjoy cooking Q you can always upgrade and not be stuck with a expensive yard oranment

inv3ctiv3
01-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Right now I have an offset and that's all I've ever used and love using real wood logs with a mix of charcoal but how often do you have to re-fuel in a WSM? I've never used anything like that so you just light a bunch of coal and leave it? I read some of you don't re-fuel at all? That's awesome haha.

zydecopaws
01-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Right now I have an offset and that's all I've ever used and love using real wood logs with a mix of charcoal but how often do you have to re-fuel in a WSM? I've never used anything like that so you just light a bunch of coal and leave it? I read some of you don't re-fuel at all? That's awesome haha.

Reloading depends on several factors, but I've gone over 14 hours without having to add charcoal for low-and-slow cooks in both the 18" and 22" WSMs. Even if you do have to add charcoal it isn't a lot of work with the nice big door in the front...