PDA

View Full Version : wood pellets in an electric smoker

bobk
01-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Hello all

My first post here so be easy on me
I have a question and was hoping the kind folks here would have a bit of an answer
I normally use my ecb and chargriller for smoking and grilling—this Christmas my better half
surprised me with a masterbuilt electric
This is my question—a friend gave me a large quantity of apple and cherry pellets and I was
wondering if they can be used in an electric smoker—i am a bit hesitant to use pellets but
if they will work I would be willing to give them a shot

thanking all in advance

bob

Ron_L
01-12-2011, 07:38 AM
They are just wood. Use them like you do chips or chunks. You can also make a packet out of heavy duty foil and poke a few holes in it to let the smoke out.

BBQ Grail
01-12-2011, 08:51 AM
I've actually been wondering the same thing. Ron_L is correct they are just wood.

But, here's my concern. Masterbuilt recommends soaking the wood chips. I'm not sure the reasoning there but they do. I don't normally soak wood chips but I do in this smoker.

That being said you can't soak wood pellets so I'm not sure what would happen.

Some are going to say just do it but I wouldn't just yet. If something goes wrong you'll void the warranty.

So let me do this. I got my unit direct from Masterbuilt to review. Let me ask them their thoughts on it before you do anything.

In the mean time you'll get lots of other advice. And on Saturday I'll test pellets in mine.

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonboy
01-12-2011, 08:55 AM
I have used pellets in my masterbuilt before. The jack daniels pellets have an awesome aroma but i'm not sure i imparted a lot of flavor. I like the idea of using them in a foil pouch to prolong their burn.
I have also used a single k briquette in the smoker tray along with assorted woods, cherry, maple, apple, orange,oak,hickory. I think this added a lot of flavor. The manufacturer does not recommend the use of briquettes in their cooker. I have had no bad effects using one at a time in mine. Your mileage may vary. I think that it helps promote a smoke ring. BUT have no proof of that.

And WELCOME to your new home.:-D
jon

Hawg Father of Seoul
01-12-2011, 09:00 AM
They are just wood. Use them like you do chips or chunks. You can also make a packet out of heavy duty foil and poke a few holes in it to let the smoke out.

+1

I use the pellets in a can on the offset too.

bobk
01-12-2011, 09:24 AM
i want to thank you all for the responses so far
i have used the smoker a few times and have used only chips--i dont soak
chips or chunks--no need for that i have found--i also only fill water pan up halfway--use wine or juice and throw a few allspice berries in with the chips--like the aroma

bob

aquablue22
01-12-2011, 11:11 AM
I've used pellets in my Mastbuilt before without any issues. I left a bucket of pellets out in the rain on day and they turned into wood mush, like the exploded from the moisture.

SmokinOkie
01-12-2011, 11:51 AM
That being said you can't soak wood pellets so I'm not sure what would happen.

Some are going to say just do it but I wouldn't just yet. If something goes wrong you'll void the warranty.

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, you get a pile of wet mush and when it dries it's called PelletCrete.

You can use Pellets in electrics, people do in the Cookshacks all the time, the issue is that they ignite easy so you actually can get quite a lot of smoke. Put them in a foil pouch to control the RATE of burn and they'll be fine.

When I'm cold smoking in an electric, that's what I do because they tend to ignite easier than big chunks.

bbq lover
01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
same here foil pack 2 pin holes and let it rip in my masterbuilt