PDA

View Full Version : Simple Injecting Mixs/Recipies

The_Kapn
11-14-2004, 07:53 PM
OK- I am a virgin to injecting!

Bought me an injector needle and all-gotta start some where :lol:

DF does all this "injecting stuff" for competetion. He is the Chef and that is a different level of flavor!

I am looking for simple mix at home injection recipies for pork, beef, and poultry! I know they are all different!

I have found thousands of injection recipie files here and on the web--great stuff!

But, I am not smart enough to "distill it down" to just the basics to start with :oops: Nothing special expected!

Ideas??

Thanks,
TIM

BigBelly
11-15-2004, 07:25 AM
What about the recipe Jim M. has mentioned on more the one occasion? Even though it is a partial recipe it still will serve as a great foundation.

Chris Lilly’s Pork Butt Injection Marinade

1.5 parts juice (apple, pineapple or?)
1 part water
1 part sugar (white or brown)
.5 part salt
Worcestershire to taste

Saiko
11-15-2004, 08:47 PM
When I smoke a turkey, I use an injection of 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup sweet German wine, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Gives the meat a nice mild taste without being overpowering. I also brine overnight with a cup of kosher salt and a cup of brown sugar, and finally I brush the bird with olive oil and cover with any rub I have laying around.

jminion
11-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Here is a Cajun Turkey Fry recipe is you like spicy
2 sticks butter
2 Tbsp each onion and garlic juice
2 Tbsp worcestershire
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp crab boil
1 tsp cayenne

I use a juicer to make my own garlic and onion juice
I also use Zatarains concentrated shrimp and crab boil

Inject the breast, thigh and legs let set 4 to 8 hours uncovered in frig. Deep fry and enjoy.

jminion
11-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Here is another good injection for poultry:

Scottie's Creole Butter

- ˝ can of beer
- ˝ lb. Butter
- 1 tsp. Bonesmokers Big Time BBQ Rub (any mild BBQ rub will do)
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 ˝ tsp. White Pepper
- 1 ˝ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 ˝ tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Coleman's Mustard
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- ˝ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- ˝ tsp. Tabasco

Warm mixture on stove until ingredients mix well. Let mixture cool a bit and then inject...

The_Kapn
11-15-2004, 09:12 PM
I also use Zatarains concentrated shrimp and crab boil
Jim,
This is a "stock spice" for Karen and me--don't get no better "off the shelf".

Was this a seperate injection suggestion- or blended with the recipe above?
Anal Mode :oops:
Just want to be sure! :lol:

Thanks,
TIM

BBQchef33
11-15-2004, 10:17 PM
no matter what i use for injecting, i always add melted butter infused with something(garlic, shallots and/or herbs). My theory is that the butter solidifies a little when it gets into the cold meat and helps hold the injection inside a little better. I found when ifirst started injecting, alot of sufff would run out.. the butter in the mix stopped that a little.

jminion
11-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Tim
Two different recipes, used both and like both.

kcquer
11-15-2004, 10:42 PM
no matter what i use for injecting, i always add melted butter infused with something(garlic, shallots and/or herbs). My theory is that the butter solidifies a little when it gets into the cold meat and helps hold the injection inside a little better. I found when ifirst started injecting, alot of sufff would run out.. the butter in the mix stopped that a little.

Tried this, the theory seemed sound, after cooling I found the butter all floating on the top of the mixture. A few seconds with the hand blender to emulsify the mixture worked like a dream.

The_Kapn
11-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Tim
Two different recipes, used both and like both.
Jim-
Got It! Love the Zatarains :D
"Shrimp Boil to Die For" around here-
Thanks,
TIM

cayenne
11-23-2004, 08:10 PM
When I smoke a turkey, I use an injection of 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup sweet German wine, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Gives the meat a nice mild taste without being overpowering. I also brine overnight with a cup of kosher salt and a cup of brown sugar, and finally I brush the bird with olive oil and cover with any rub I have laying around.

Curious...do you brine first, take it out and THEN inject it...or do you inject it first and then throw into the brine?

Cayenne

Saiko
11-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Curious...do you brine first, take it out and THEN inject it...or do you inject it first and then throw into the brine?
Cayenne

I brine it overnight, then pull it out and wipe it down. Then I inject. Then I pour some olive or peanut oil in my hands and smear the outside of the bird with oil. Then I cover with rub.
Once I start smoking, I baste with oil every hour by using a little pump action type sprayer. It is made especially for oil so it doesn't clog, but I don't remember where I got it, I think it was at Williams and Sonoma.
I've found that if you try to use a brush to baste a bird you will just end up spreading the rub around, the sprayer works wonders. I like my birds to look nice and perty when I pull them out of the smoker.