PDA

View Full Version : a different home made smoker idea

barls
01-09-2011, 06:34 AM
hey all, as my little smoker is slowly dying. i thought id start on a new project.
i scored the inner skin of a dishwasher, its all stainless steel.
im wondering if im heading in the right direction.
im currently thinking ether putting a gas burner underneath the skin (possibly cutting and putting a piece of plate steel under for what im smoking with to sit on) or to make it electric with the twin elements i have salvaged out of a george forman grill that i broke.

ive been thinking that i can use the inlet that normally has the rotating arms on it as the chimney with one of the other threaded fittings being used to regulate the air in.
ive still got to put a door on this thing but before i start building a stand for this , i want to know is it worth it. im going to have to make the racks for it as there is very little off the shelf that will fit due to the size.
ill put up pics of it tomorrow after i get some as its dark right now

Mitch
01-09-2011, 07:54 AM
I've seen stranger cooker. Go for it. What do you have to lose?

Make sure it's stainless steel. Charcoal flavored plastic fumes tend to give me heartburn.

And gut it good; no wiring, insulation, sound proofing, plastic.

Skidder
01-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Guess you'll be the first to know if it will work or not. Never know unless you try. Good luck and post pics if you decide to go ahead with this project.

barls
01-09-2011, 03:32 PM
its stainless trust me, ive spent the last 10 years working where everything is ether stainless or alloy. when i get a chance later today ill get some pics. it does have a tar based insulation on the outside in a few places but this should burn off.

LT72884
01-09-2011, 06:10 PM
do it do it do it! make it electric or propane

barls
01-10-2011, 12:09 AM
heres the top
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/barlschaos/10012011068.jpg
and here is the inside.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/barlschaos/10012011070.jpg