PDA

View Full Version : Competition Chicken and skins for KCBS

sssSmoking
01-07-2011, 11:28 PM
OK brothers, got a question for you.:confused: I like to prepare my meats as much as I can before I get to the competition. I am doing a test run for chicken on Sunday. I picked up a few chicken thighs yesterday and today prepared them. I have removed the skins and scraped the fat from them.
I would like to know what you guys are doing so here are the questions.
Question 1, after deboning and squaring the thigh do I need to put the skins on now or can I put them on after the meat inspection?
Question 2, if you add the skins on after the inspection and pack them separate how do you pack the skins from home to the competition? Zip lock bag?
Question 3, if packing the thighs and skins separate do you ever have any issues with the meat inspector?
Question 4, After meat inspection I normally put the chicken in a brine should the skins be put in a brine?

Thanks Guys!:clap2:

Dale P
01-08-2011, 05:12 AM
If you want to know how we cook and what we use like our rubs, sauces, brines,ect, just give me a call @ 1-800-Iainttellingya, and leave a message. :thumb:

haha, back to the real questions.
1) I do not bone the chicken. I have but I think the bone adds flavor.
2) Chicken skin is always vac packed with the meat.
3) see above.
4) It could matter. Who knows what weird stuff anyone uses in a brine.

My best advice is practice. If you do not like the outcome, change your method, not just the recipe.

Good luck. DP

Divemaster
01-10-2011, 09:44 AM
If you want to know how we cook and what we use like our rubs, sauces, brines,ect, just give me a call @ 1-800-Iainttellingya, and leave a message. :thumb:

haha, back to the real questions.
1) I do not bone the chicken. I have but I think the bone adds flavor.
2) Chicken skin is always vac packed with the meat.
3) see above.
4) It could matter. Who knows what weird stuff anyone uses in a brine.

My best advice is practice. If you do not like the outcome, change your method, not just the recipe.

Good luck. DP
Bingo....

sssSmoking
01-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks DP and Jeff for your input, anyone else have anything to add?
Any and all input on any one of the questions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Don