PDA

View Full Version : Chuckie Questions?

BMantlow
01-05-2011, 09:32 AM
First time chuckie cook and first time cooking on 22.5" OTG. I've never cooked a briskie before, Thought I'd start with a chuckie. Here's what I've done so far: 4lb. bone in chusck, rubbed with Bovine Bold and overnited in fridge. Piled coals on one side of kettle in expanded metal partition with some mesquite chunks. Fired MM, Put a small pan of water near coals, meat on indireck side. 3 temp probes, 1 probe in meat used, other 2 at grate level on either side of chusck one on fire side and the other on opposite side of meat. Fireside grate probe 243* opposite side 226*, been cruising for 2.5hrs. now, meat probe reads 156 internal.
I've read nearly everything I could find in ROADMAP sticky about chucks and briskies about being similar in cook times and methods.
Questions:
1) Since the temps are off somewhat from one side of chuck to the other should I rotate and turn at stall?
2) Should I foil at about 160-165* or can I put in pan and foil top tightly?
3) Do I add any liquid to foil or pan?
4) Cook in foil/pan to about 195-200* and check tenderness with probe vertically in meat?
5)Should I unfoil or not and put back on grill about 30min.for good bark?
I have read "It's Done when I'ts Done," I understand this.
6) Pull and wrap in foil and cooler for couple hrs?
Sorry for long post.

Benny

Zak
01-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Sure sounds like you're on the right track to me. I wouldn't worry about turning it through the cooking process. You can wrap or use a foil pan, doesn't matter. I wouldn't add any liquid but you can if you want. When done, or almost done you can put it back on to firm up the bark or if you're using a foil pan, just uncover till it hits 195-200, or until done. But if you plan on putting in cooler all wrapped up i'd say you're defeating the purpose of firming the bark. Once it's done you can just let it rest, uncovered, that is unless you need to hold it.

Ron_L
01-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Answers: :-D
1) Since the temps are off somewhat from one side of chuck to the other should I rotate and turn at stall?
Yes, and maybe sooner. Check it to make sure that the hot side bark isn't getting too dark.

2) Should I foil at about 160-165* or can I put in pan and foil top tightly?
I prefer foiling tightly to keep from steaming the meat, but lots of guys use pans. Either should work. Also, I foil based on the bark color, not a specific temp. When the bark is the color that I like then i foil.

3) Do I add any liquid to foil or pan?
Yes. Beef broth, apple juice, beer, be creative. I like a mix of beef broth and beer steeped with some Bovine Bold and then strained.

4) Cook in foil/pan to about 195-200* and check tenderness with probe vertically in meat?
Yes on tenderness. You really can't rely on a specific temp range. Chuckies usually aren't probe tender for me until they get above 200, but go by probe feel.

5)Should I unfoil or not and put back on grill about 30min.for good bark?
You can, or not :-D That's personal preference.

I have read "It's Done when I'ts Done," I understand this.
6) Pull and wrap in foil and cooler for couple hrs?
Yes! I like at least two hours rest for butts and chuckies. It seems to give the juices time to circulate and distribute the flavor.

Sorry for long post.
No worries. They are good questions!

Cook
01-05-2011, 10:35 AM
On a grill grate like that you can certainly rotate during the cook for a more even heat.

Why are you going to foil it? Got a hot date and pressed for time?

BMantlow
01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
On a grill grate like that you can certainly rotate during the cook for a more even heat.

Why are you going to foil it? Got a hot date and pressed for time?

From most of the posts I've read here, foiling seems to be the norm.
This is my first.:confused:

BMantlow
01-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Well I just got back from foiling and while I had the lid off my probe wires got slid over the coals and toasted all 3 wires:mad::mad2::mad2: temp in grill spiked to nearly 375* Had to nearly choke fire out to get temps back down 400* at lid vent. Stuck my instant read temp gauge into vent and plastic melted and probe fell out of head:icon_blush::icon_blush::mad2: I do have some extra probe wires, down to my last 2:redface: Boy I feel like an IDIOOOOTT!!!!

Cook
01-05-2011, 11:35 AM
While foiling, I would suggest the lid be placed back on the grill while you do your work. Keep the lid on as much as possible...you know, that oxygen thing.

Foiling is ok. I'm not going to burn anyone in effigy over using foil...I use it on occasion also, for various reasons. I just try to let new cooks know that foiling isn't necessary. Basically, it is a thing of convenience...it helps speed along the cook. It is by no means a necessary part of cooking bbq. I just took an eye of round off the pit about two hours ago and a boston butt literally about 10 minutes ago without a single piece of foil being used in the process. Two hour cook for the beef and six hour cook for the pork. I was in no hurry so no need for foiling.

YMMV...MDN

Lake Dogs
01-05-2011, 11:58 AM
RE: foiling: Basically, it is a thing of convenience...it helps speed along the cook.

It does that, but we do it religiously because a) we prefer a reddish/brown bark vs.
the darker barks, and b) we prefer to control the amount of smoke flavor in the meat
and keep it on the medium side vs. very heavily smoke taste/flavor.

I like the smoke to compliment the meat flavor vs. possibly mask it. I foil ribs fairly
quickly because I like a smoke "ring" vs. just a straight reddish meat (completely
smoked). I foil pork usually right after the 4th hour. I'll foil beef usually between the
3rd and 4th hour. Cook, I agree with you that it's not a "necessary part of cooking
bbq", however we seem to cook longer (5-6 hours for a chuckie, 8-10 hours for a butt, 10-11 hours for a pork shoulder or brisket, 12+- hours for a ham) and for us the smoke for those longer cooks only blackens the meat and leaves an over-smoked flavor on the bark.

Bmantlow, I know it's a little late now, but I would've suggest trying another wood
other than Mesquite to start. My personal taste, but Mesquite is great for grilling
but horrible for smoking. With grilling the steak/hamburger are only on the fire with
smoke for a few minutes. After hours mesquite, IMHO, gets VERY heavy and the
flavor consumes the meat (over-smoked flavor).

BMantlow
01-05-2011, 12:33 PM
RE:

Bmantlow, I know it's a little late now, but I would've suggest trying another wood
other than Mesquite to start. My personal taste, but Mesquite is great for grilling
but horrible for smoking. With grilling the steak/hamburger are only on the fire with
smoke for a few minutes. After hours mesquite, IMHO, gets VERY heavy and the
flavor consumes the meat (over-smoked flavor).

Lake Dog: What wood would you suggest for smoking chuckies? I foilded at 3hrs, maybe it won't be to smokey. What temp. do you cook chuckies at?
Ribs: Mine are usually redish nearly to the bone, so for a good smoke ring foil early? I usually do BB, what do you call early?

landarc
01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
I use pecan or apple for beef sometimes, my preference is California oak. Yep, the same as Santa Maria if I can get it.

I do not foil typically, but, it does work well. I have a darker bark and definitely turn it, but, I don't flip it.

If I do foil, I do as already suggested and put the lid back on to prevent a runaway. I like to take probes from meat and secure them off the cooker, it prevents mishaps. This came about due to trying to use a Maverick probe to monitor a brewing process and sliding the probe and cable into the mash, ruining the probe. No more.