PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Sugary Rubs

Boshizzle
12-23-2010, 09:06 PM
I ate a lot of competition BBQ this past summer. I also cooked a lot of BBQ this summer. I kind of got burned out on the rubs and sauces and the typical flavors that contain so much sugar. I have always preferred ribs without sugar anyway but my family likes the sugary stuff so I usually just cook what I know others like. But, not last night. I cooked ribs just for me and let my family know that they will just have to eat them anyway. Yesterday I fired up my smoker and put on three racks of baby backs. I seasoned them with Kosher salt and Red Hot and Blue rub which has no sugar in it. (http://redhotandblue.com/catalog/memphisshakedryrub-p-41.html?osCsid=oxtlwufwt ). No foil, no sugar, no sauce, no spritz. Just 275 F for about 3.5 - 4 hours.

Man, they were some good ribs. (Sorry, no pics). My family liked them too. There were no complaints. I had some left over and ate about four bones for lunch and they were just as delicious as they were last night.

If you want to try something different, give the RH&B rub a try. Just make sure you add some salt.

Crazy Harry
12-23-2010, 09:11 PM
sounds good to me.

Harbormaster
12-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I had RH&B Q when I was in Texas a number of years ago. It was the catered lunch at a class I was taking.

I thought it was good enough to hit one of their joints for dinner one night.

Some may think this is blasphemy, but I think their potato salad (served warm) was some of the best I have ever had.

On the sugary ribs, I don't like them sweet either. I know some folks like them with honey and/or BS added when they foil, and there is nothing wrong with that. I just like them rubbed, smoked (no foil) and on my plate.

I think I'll be checking out their rub. Thanks for the tip!

Boshizzle
12-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the tip!

You are welcome, bro.

Cliff H.
12-23-2010, 10:33 PM
My favorite rub is Tex-Joy which is salt and pepper base. No sugar. When I cook for myself and the smoke is acting right, I cook them without foil till they are done.

That's the way uh hu uh hu I like it.

Boshizzle
12-23-2010, 10:37 PM
My favorite rub is Tex-Joy which is salt and pepper base. No sugar. When I cook for myself and the smoke is acting right, I cook them without foil till they are done.

That's the way uh hu uh hu I like it.

Thanks for the tip. I will have to order some of the Tex-joy rub.

bandityo
12-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Do you guys usually use a mustard base to adhere the rub? I know others just put the rub right on them with no adhesion...

David

Cliff H.
12-23-2010, 11:26 PM
I use wooster sauce.

Boshizzle
12-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Do you guys usually use a mustard base to adhere the rub? I know others just put the rub right on them with no adhesion...

David

I use peanut oil.

ushi
12-23-2010, 11:36 PM
reminds me, some of the best ribs I made were dead simple. Salt. Pepper. Didn't really trim them. Cooked them on a grill rigged out of cinder blocks and an old grate I had lying around. just charcoal as fuel. it was as if the bbq deities had blessed my ramshackle hobo rig or something.

I know a lot of people like the sweet ribs etc, lots of sauce and all. this is all and fine and good. I really enjoy that from time to time as well. However I think a lot of that stuff really covers up the flavor of the pork itself. something a simple s+p based rub can really enhance. I would like to think there is a happy medium between the two.

jgh1204
12-23-2010, 11:39 PM
AKA, a Texas rub. :-D

T-Man
12-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Cliff , Which Tex-joy rub do you use ?? I have a few different Tex-joy seasonings and I like 'em...

chromestacks
12-24-2010, 06:18 AM
This goes along with the best advice I ever heard, "Proper smoked meat should stand alone" **Unknown who originally said it but, I have found it to be true. My sauce is always served on the side as an option. My prefered rub is very simple. I believe when BBQ was born, Spice selection was very limited.

h20loo
12-24-2010, 07:35 AM
I usually do two or three variations of ribs. My kids love the sweet gooey fall off the bone stuff, I have lately been enjoying dry ribs with different home mixed rubs and my wife loves some of each!

Johnny_Crunch
12-24-2010, 07:50 AM
When in doubt put some Tony's on it. A friend of mine won best brisket once doing that.

Wampus
12-24-2010, 08:02 AM

David

Nope. I've done it with and without mustard. Rub sticks fine without, so I don't bother anymore.

I like the sweet rubs sometimes, but sometimes not. I prefer (most) a rub with a hint of sweet, but with more spice than sugar. I'll have to look into the
RH&B rub. Sounds interesting. THANKS!

barbefunkoramaque
12-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Welcome to my world!

I toooooooooooooooold U so!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/2/GbBFZstQRUY
http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/5/Wzi1JvgHA2A

I ate a lot of competition BBQ this past summer. I also cooked a lot of BBQ this summer. I kind of got burned out on the rubs and sauces and the typical flavors that contain so much sugar. I have always preferred ribs without sugar anyway but my family likes the sugary stuff so I usually just cook what I know others like. But, not last night. I cooked ribs just for me and let my family know that they will just have to eat them anyway. Yesterday I fired up my smoker and put on three racks of baby backs. I seasoned them with Kosher salt and Red Hot and Blue rub which has no sugar in it. (http://redhotandblue.com/catalog/memphisshakedryrub-p-41.html?osCsid=oxtlwufwt ). No foil, no sugar, no sauce, no spritz. Just 275 F for about 3.5 - 4 hours.

Man, they were some good ribs. (Sorry, no pics). My family liked them too. There were no complaints. I had some left over and ate about four bones for lunch and they were just as delicious as they were last night.

If you want to try something different, give the RH&B rub a try. Just make sure you add some salt.

gtr
12-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Some may think this is blasphemy, but I think their potato salad (served warm) was some of the best I have ever had.

I don't think it's blasphemy at all - haven't tried it warm but I had it for the first time a couple weeks ago and thought it was great. If anybody knows how they make this stuff I'd love to know how.

As far as non-sugary rubs, the advice you've gotten about s&p is good. You can start with that and mess with adding different things that you like - dry mustard, garlic powder, cayenne, whatever works for ya.

barbefunkoramaque
12-24-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't think it's blasphemy at all - haven't tried it warm but I had it for the first time a couple weeks ago and thought it was great. If anybody knows how they make this stuff I'd love to know how.

As far as non-sugary rubs, the advice you've gotten about s&p is good. You can start with that and mess with adding different things that you like - dry mustard, garlic powder, cayenne, whatever works for ya.

its okay.. i am sure that our ancestors who had been serving a potato dish that would not spoil quickly (thus had simple vinegar and seasonings) probably thpugt newfangled mayo based potato salad being chilled at the dawn of the refrigeration age was blasphemy a hundred years ago when they started chilling and messin with the warm version of a six hundred year old recipe

kyle corn
12-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Sort of on the subject, but does anyone know of any good sugar free sauces? I heard all the hooplah about Blues Hog so I ordered the original and Tennessee Red. Nobody in my family cared for either. The original was so sweet I wanted to pour it over pancakes, the red was good but I can make a good red sauce on my own so no need to buy it. I know this is blasphemy around here as these products are pretty well respected, but I just didn't care for them.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a nice peppery sauce that isn't sweet?

(Sorry if this is a hijack, I figured it fit the topic well)

Boshizzle
12-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! :-P

Welcome to my world!

I toooooooooooooooold U so!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/2/GbBFZstQRUY
http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/5/Wzi1JvgHA2A

Boshizzle
12-24-2010, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=Harbormaster;1492321] Some may think this is blasphemy, but I think their potato salad (served warm) was some of the best I have ever had. [QUOTE]

Warm PS is pretty good. I have a great recipe for German PS that calls for bacon grease (can never go wrong with that) and should be served warm.

Boshizzle
12-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Sort of on the subject, but does anyone know of any good sugar free sauces? I heard all the hooplah about Blues Hog so I ordered the original and Tennessee Red. Nobody in my family cared for either. The original was so sweet I wanted to pour it over pancakes, the red was good but I can make a good red sauce on my own so no need to buy it. I know this is blasphemy around here as these products are pretty well respected, but I just didn't care for them.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a nice peppery sauce that isn't sweet?

(Sorry if this is a hijack, I figured it fit the topic well)

Sounds like you are looking for a North Carolina Sauce or a Memphis style sauce. Check out Scott's BBQ sauce or even Arthur Bryant's original BBQ sauce which is a KC sauce that isn't sweet.

http://cdn.mohotta.com/images/uploads/1650_1110_large.jpg

http://www.ironq.com/images/ArthurOriginal.jpg

Mitch
12-25-2010, 06:22 AM
I hear ya bro'.

When I'm cookin for others or at comps, I use all the rubs, sauces, and glazes. When I cook for me it's pretty much bare except for S & P. and sometimes a few herbs n spices. I like the flavor of meat and smoke, and don't need to cover up that wonderful flavor.