PDA

View Full Version : Costco boneless butt, UDS. How Long?

MikeMc
12-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi all! I've got a few days off and a cryo-pac of boneless shoulder from Costco. I didn't want to open the package till I'm ready to prep em, but it does look like 2 boneless butts about 6 pounds each.
I'll need to time this between rain as much as I can, so how long to cook at 225? An hour a pound?
The plan is to inject with apple juice and some store bought rub. Then mustard and more of the same rub.
Should I tie them or put them in a pan of some sort?

Johnny_Crunch
12-21-2010, 07:37 PM
1.5 - 2 hours per pound. No pan or ties.

jasonalan724
12-21-2010, 07:38 PM
until probe tender, start checking at about the five hour mark

Mitch
12-21-2010, 07:49 PM
As a general rule.....Bone in = 2 hrs/#. Boneless = 1.5 hrs/#. But "It's done when it's done". Take it to 200°, wrap, cooler for an hour or more, and pull.

bigabyte
12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
1.5 - 2 hours per pound. No pan or ties.
^^what he said^^

Gore
12-21-2010, 07:57 PM
I put those in about 10:00pm, then check them in the morning. Usually foil at about 160-165* (about 8:00-10:00 usually) and they're done between 10:00am and 1:00pm. Plop them in a cooler to rest for a few hours and then pull for dinner. The nice thing about doing them overnight is that we aren't eating dinner at midnight. :roll:

MikeMc
12-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks Gore. Your plan sounds like a good one. The lady of the house has never had pulled pork and is kind of skeptical about the whole thing. Having it done on time will be a big help. In at 10:00 it is. If it goes out while I'm sleeping I'll just take another shot in the morning.

Johnny_Crunch
12-21-2010, 08:58 PM
It should not go out in 8-9 hours your are sleeping, you will be fine.

Gore
12-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Gheesh, someone's taking my advice. :shock: I better look and see what I wrote.... Yep, everything looks good, except I wouldn't go over 225* on the overnight part. For the overnight part, I'm usually closer to 200*-215* (that way I can sleep in -- I'm lazy). You can bump the temp in the morning if you like. Also, at these low temps, the charcoal lasts a lot longer too. I have a ceramic, so it is no problem cooking twice that long without adding coals, but in the summer I could even run my offset all night at 200* without having to get up in the middle of the night to reload -- personally, I like this very much. Of course in this weather, that's not possible, but you're in CA. Load up your box as much as you can at night. Of course the first one is always the most fretful, but butts are easy. Whether you pan or foil or no foil is up to you, but I always get much better results when I wrap in foil when they're done and store in a cooler for at least 1 hour (usually 2-3) before pulling. It'll stay hot for a LONG time this way.

cookingdude555
12-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Please tie them! When I get the boneless butts from Costco, I have to tie them or those thin flaps that covered the bone dry out. Good luck.

Midnight Smoke
12-21-2010, 09:04 PM
I agree on tying them up. Get some rub between those flaps before tying.

Bigmista
12-21-2010, 09:27 PM
"It's done when it's done". Take it to 200°, wrap, cooler for an hour or more, and pull.

That's the essence right there.

armor
12-22-2010, 02:54 AM
Please tie them! When I get the boneless butts from Costco, I have to tie them or those thin flaps that covered the bone dry out. Good luck.

If I have to use the boneless butts I use one or two metal skewers to hold them together. Done when they're done is the way to go. You can take it to 200 and foil as you remove or foil @ 165-170 and continue to cook until 200 then rest for at least an hour. Whatever works best for you.

Sammy_Shuford
12-22-2010, 03:47 AM
I pull from smoker between 195 and 200. FTC for several hours based on schedule.

Foil
Towel
Cooler

(and I have been known to crank the smoker temp down below 200, to extend cooktime (and sleep time!)

MikeMc
12-22-2010, 06:58 PM
It worked!!!! Pouring rain all night so I think my temp was a little low. 180 when I got up. A good shake and opened the vents a little and right back on track. First one came off about 1:00 just like Gore said. The second is much larger and is just finishing now. Smells like bacon and candy!!! I pulled off a sample piece this morning for inspiration. FARKING AWSOME!!! My best Q yet! Pron tomorrow.

Buster Dog BBQ
12-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Now think about the good leftovers like nachos and enchiladas.

Gore
12-22-2010, 07:54 PM
It worked!!!! Pouring rain all night so I think my temp was a little low. 180 when I got up. A good shake and opened the vents a little and right back on track. First one came off about 1:00 just like Gore said. The second is much larger and is just finishing now. Smells like bacon and candy!!! I pulled off a sample piece this morning for inspiration. FARKING AWSOME!!! My best Q yet! Pron tomorrow.

Dang, whataya know. Glad it worked for you. Much better than staying up all night tending or eating at midnight. And sooooo easy. :thumb:

Toploader
12-22-2010, 08:04 PM
I know im late on this but i allways do mine overnight. And yep once in a while like you said the temps dip by the am but they allways turn out real good. I try to get the bone in, but hey they both work. Ill have to try that tie method.
I have never been let down by the drum gods................yet:pray:

smoke on bro and post pics next time.

bigabyte
12-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Great to hear of the success!:cool:

(that goes for Gore as well)

42BBQ
12-22-2010, 09:44 PM

Absolutely true, tie the suckers. I always use Costco boneless shoulder when I do pulled pork. I always try to get the bigger ones (15# or so) giving you two chunks that are about 7.5# each. I average about 12 to 15 hours for 15# total. Don't fret if your side mounted temp gauge is hitting only 200 or so for a while. All that meat soaks up heat for a long time once you drop them in. Foil at 165 internal temp. After foil hit them with apple juice (or whatever you spray with) every hour after you foil. 200 internal temp or so and you'll be good to go. I normally throw them on and go to bed. Get up six hours later and you're ready to foil.

gtr
12-22-2010, 09:48 PM
+1 for tying.

Glad to hear it went well!