PDA

View Full Version : UDS Paint Problem

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-12-2010, 12:42 AM
So building my UDS in the Winter turns out to be a pretty stupid idea. While sanding down a barrel in the cooler weather works out rather nice as you don't sweat your tail off, most paint requires 50+ degrees to set. I can do it in the basement but frankly that's not my preferred method. Any ideas on how I can get around this without have to do this in the house?

As an aside I think I'm going to go with VHT's Engine Block Paint. Just enamel no primer or clear coat unless someone tells me that's a bad move....

Thanks
Sam

chromestacks
12-12-2010, 09:15 AM
start a small fire in the drum. Then you could do it outside. 10-15 coals should be enough. once ithe paint is tacky, take the temp up to 300-350 for an hour. that should dry it.

Lion Bout The Q
12-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I don't think spraying any paint out of a gun or a can is a good idea with an open flame or just hot coals burning. Paint fumes are very volitile.
Why don't you try a local small body shop? If all they have to do is spray it, no prep" and you have the materials, it shouldn't cost much at all.
I always recomend painting cookers with urethane enamal single stage automotive paint with hardner. It will hold up very well under smoker temps and look better than high temp paint and last longer. Its not good on fire boxes.

Norcoredneck
12-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Got a weed burner? Light it put it inside drum to heat it. put fire out. Take pre heated paint (inside house temp) and spray. Then Either build small fire inside and let it cure or heat it again with weed burner but lightly and slowly.

1_T_Scot
12-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Plenty of Newspaper in the house. Send significant other shopping.

Sean "Puffy" Coals
12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Put the drum upside-down on some blocks with a space heater inside it.

Southern Home Boy
12-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Got a garage and a space heater?

Crazy Harry
12-12-2010, 12:16 PM
paint? use it as is. if you must paint,wait until spring.

swamprb
12-12-2010, 01:54 PM
It's a BBQ, and the paint is going to burn off, rust will form, grease, mop, sauce or spray will defile the pretty pit we fret over. Get over it.

just sayin'

chromestacks
12-12-2010, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=Lion Bout The Q;1481441]I don't think spraying any paint out of a gun or a can is a good idea with an open flame or just hot coals burning. Paint fumes are very volitile.

Painting the outside of the drum right? I assume you are using a rattle can and going to be doing this outside? I really don't see a problem. Now, if you were spraying directly on coals or an open flame I might get worried. It would be fun to watch from a distance. I THINK your eyebrows would grow back!?!!

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Yes of course painting just the outside I'm not crazy :crazy:.

It's warm enough in the basement where I don't need any sort of additional heat there. I was trying to avoid the basement as I was concerned about getting spray paint all over the place and fumes from the paint in an enclosed space. I went ahead and decided to go with the Rustoleum BBQ paint and do it in the basement anyway. Unfortunately it only comes in black but at least I was able to apply it with a brush and control where it went better. I didn't notice at first, because I had a paint mask on, but it definitely stinks :doh:. I'm therefore only going with one coat of paint. I don't want to repeat the stink. This should get me by until the next warm day and then I'll do a touch up and repaint.

I know the smoker is going to get dirty but I'm just putting paint on as a rust deterrent. I'm pretty positive BBQ rated to 1000 degrees F will hold up quite fine without flaking and will extend the life of my UDS.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to consider out the single stage enamel for the next one as an alternative to the engine paint. I must say however the Rustoleum is dirty cheap in comparison to either.

Miguels244
12-14-2010, 12:23 AM
put it in the paint booth, shoot it and turn on the IR...
sorry

real solution...
build a poly tent, heat it and paint in there, make sure the surface temp is 70 f or higher.

do not shoot paint in a living space!

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Basement method was effective enough. No fall out. Everything looks A-Ok. Thanks everyone.