PDA

View Full Version : UDS Advice

MeatyOakerSmoker
11-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Hello

I've been reading the UDS thread and I'm 60 pages in. However today while talking to my neighbor about auto repair we started discussing MIG welders then how I wanted to build a UDS (but in layman's terms for him). It turns out he's got a 55 gallon drum in his garage that he wants to get rid of and he's happy to give it to me for free!

So here go my first set of questions

The drum used to contain "Offset Ink". Is this still ok to use?
I'm only 60 pages into the UDS thread however at no point do I see any consolidated basic UDS instructions. Do they exist anywhere?
This drum looks unlined can rather clean but if I need to do a burn out how much smoke and fumes are we talking? I live in suburban NJ so a smoke stack coming from my backyard won't fly.

Thanks
Sam

colonel00
11-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Yes, you will need to burn it out just to be safe. If you get a good, hot fire going there should really be minimal smoke aside from the exterior paint burning off for a little bit.

Simple guide:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

MeatyOakerSmoker
11-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Great thanks.... I guess I have lots more reading to do. Good news is the drums are available :-D.

MeatyOakerSmoker
11-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Given the amount of smoke and time it takes to do a burnout I think I'm better off buying an new unlined food grade drum. I don't want the fire department paying me a visit.

jgh1204
11-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Read my first few posts on the UDS thread. The flames were leaping but relatively little smoke.

MeatyOakerSmoker
11-29-2010, 11:39 PM
I forgot what page now because I just read through about 40 more pages of the thread today but another guy said he had his local fire dept come by. That's what got me paranoid.

Ah... I'll just give it a try. The drum I was going to use got taken so the search is back on. Also need to get a hold of a pallet for the burn out. Back to reading the thread until then...

ON THE FARM
11-30-2010, 01:50 AM
it does not need to be "food grade" you will not find one unlined(nasty red stuff).
but just an "unlined" drum is fine. no burn out needed, it will have a light coating of oil on the inside. wash it out and then use some oven cleaner and wipe it down then wash it out and spray it with cooking spray or it will start to rust. DONE!
drill all your holes clean out the metal shavings and you are ready to season it.

ON THE FARM
11-30-2010, 01:52 AM
if you are going to do a burn do it at night, its harder to see the smoke.

SmokinAussie
11-30-2010, 04:39 AM
Good point....

Yes, and burn out is necessary. Printing ink is not too bad... not gonna kill you.

Burn out is a ritual from what I can see here. You have to cross that line....

Cheers!

Bill

smokestack
11-30-2010, 05:15 AM
here is a link from one of our forum members posted in the past
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943&highlight=redneck+drum

Smokin'hoglegs
11-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Yup, gotta burn your drum! Bonus is it's fun!
Also, 1 pallet isn't enough to get a goot burn IMO, at least two.
Here is two pallets disassembled
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/reefermadness-pics/bbq015.jpg

bdodd444
11-30-2010, 08:03 AM
I do agree the burn out is a rite of passage. There is something very primal about it. I know what you are talking about with the paranoia. I live in the burbs, but I have a farm about an hour away where I keep some bees. I had a "prior" for burniing about 3 acres of pasture when a bee smoker got away from me. I went to court, and it was dismissed. I figure I got one freebee, so I am super careful now.

I have found one pallet, does the trick, but you need to make sure the wood is up to the rim of the barrel. With the intake holes drilled, it really gets whipping and can be a little intimidating.

By my 3rd UDS, we had burn restrictions in place, and I figured I pushed my luck far enough with the other two, so I had it sand blasted for $40. It came out great, and saved me about 6 hours of burning and wire wheeling.

Regardless of what you decide for the stripping, it is well worth it because the UDS is awesome.

Johnny_Crunch
11-30-2010, 08:15 AM
I forgot what page now because I just read through about 40 more pages of the thread today but another guy said he had his local fire dept come by. That's what got me paranoid.

Ah... I'll just give it a try. The drum I was going to use got taken so the search is back on. Also need to get a hold of a pallet for the burn out. Back to reading the thread until then...

I used 5 pallets in my burn out, just sayin......

ssbbqguy
11-30-2010, 08:18 AM
I used to do the burn method. My deal is volume. So when I burn it is at least four to six barrels at a time.After wasting lots of time, wood and patience, it dawned on me to buy unlined and put my time to better use. Building one or two won't make a difference to most, but when you realize the temper went harder, eats up drill bits, which sucks. My design requires more drilling than most. In other words , burning is a last ditch effort. There are many drum retailers that offer unlined drums. Now I sell lined drums as burn barrels for trash. Steve.