PDA

View Full Version : Today I amde The worst Turkey Ever!

chromestacks
11-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I had this vision to make my B.I.L a mini offset reverse flow smoker for hid B-Day. so 4 weeks ago I started the build and had to scramble to get it done. So I delivered it yesterday, and we spent the night for Thanksgiving festivities. As soon as the pit was off the truck we cracked open a couple of coors and continued to drool at the new rig. B.I.L says "Hey we can smoke a turkey on that Farker! I have 2 turkeys"! We proceded to light the smoker off and had a few more beers. The turkey was injected with butter in the breast and legs. 17#...eer. we drank, and drank, put some hickory on the fire. It held true at 275 for hrs and hrs. So we pulled the bird at 175*F. Thinking we are kings....gonna have a pre day snack at midnight. The smell was intoxicating as were we! Something went wrong! the bird was so smokey, we could not drink enough to choke it down! The meat was mush! I mean Mush! Did I say MUSH????

Learnings:

1)This was a new pit but had been properly seasoned, KNOW YOUR PIT!
2)I suspect the turkey had been froze, thawed and, re-froze thus the mush textured meat
3)Know your pit!
4)Hickory makes a lot of smoke, I usually cook on apple or oak
5)know your pit!
6)I have smoked many a turkey in an off set smoker, with great success
7)maybe the B.I.L provided too much alcohol?
8)always have a back up plan (turkey #2)
9)Know your pit!
10) did I mention that you should know your pit?

Midnight Smoke
11-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Maybe it was the Coor's... :twisted:

Smokin Mike
11-25-2010, 08:21 PM
,,,,,and drinking and posting:becky:. sorry you are correct about knowing your pit is a great point.

chromestacks
11-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Or the Rum that followed the Coors?:rolleyes:

chillcoolcold
11-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Mabey you unwittingly injected the bird with the Coors.

Now if you were drinking some Budwiser you would of had that beechwood flavor!! :becky:

chromestacks
11-25-2010, 10:51 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:Mabey you unwittingly injected the bird with the Coors.

Now if you were drinking some Budwiser you would of had that beechwood flavor!! :becky:

Midnight Smoke
11-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Or the Rum that followed the Coors?:rolleyes:

Are you sure your thermo is calibrated? Even at 175 in the breast it should not have been Mush. Maybe the Rum just got your taste buds numb. :wink:

Crazy Harry
11-25-2010, 11:22 PM
you should get to know your pit.
did you inject a tenderizer?

chromestacks
11-25-2010, 11:45 PM
checked the brd w/ 3 diff thermos, all within a couple of degrees. injected with butter

Norcoredneck
11-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Not high enough temp. pOSSIBLE BAD THERMOMETER OR PROBE PLACEMENT?

aquablue22
11-26-2010, 07:38 AM
A little advise, get to know you pit!

Sorry to hear, just chalk it up to another of life "learning" lessons...........do they even stop?

Lake Dogs
11-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Hickory is a wonderful smoke for beef and pork, and is good on fowl in small amounts.
When smoking turkeys I'll only let the smoke on it for about an hour and a half, and
only a very small amount of that smoke is Hickory. I love Hickory, but it can easily
and quickly consume fowl.

Westexbbq
11-26-2010, 05:36 PM
All good and spot on as per above.
Turkey is a smoke sponge and the temp at 275 to 300 is better in my opinion.

Bacon_99
11-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Are you sure your thermo is calibrated? Even at 175 in the breast it should not have been Mush. Maybe the Rum just got your taste buds numb. :wink:

Or the eyes a little blurry... :laugh::laugh:

Hoss
11-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Hickory+Turkey=Bad Stuff.As far as the mush....No idea.