PDA

View Full Version : My Craigslist Score

HBMTN
11-25-2010, 12:08 PM
I found a Hobart Slicer on Craigslist for $250. People told me it worked great, I got there plugged it in and it turned on but the thickness adjuster would not turn. The lady and her husband told me they had it locked in that position but if I wanted it to move there was an adjustment screw if I took the handle off. So I took that hook line and sinker, got it home (no adjustment screw) and found the auger threads stripped and the slides seized in the housing. :( I was able to reapair the threads in about 10 minutes and after soaking with oil and working with the slides about four hours later I got them freed up and it is working like new. :) Someone tried to screw me and it worked out in my favor. I look the model up and the cheapest I see one on the net is $950 used. So I plan to slice away :thumb:

bluetang
11-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Gotta love that! Nice going:thumb:

Bluesman
11-25-2010, 12:30 PM
I would send them a pic of how you fixed it and tell them it's going back on CL for $650

Hawg Father of Seoul
11-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Good on you. Nice slicer.

Bought a used van for my cousin off CL. It had bright green antifreeze and gasket sealer around the thermostat housing. He says ...... " I never touched it." I told him that he could knock $400 dollars off the price and he would never see me again, but he would probably see any else he sold it to and they would be mad.

Fixed it with a $40 dollar relay in 15 minutes and did not call him to gloat.

You need to call and gloat since you did not have an agreement.

HBMTN
11-25-2010, 12:56 PM
I sent a nice email about 5 hours after leaving their house explaining in detail what I found and how easy I fixed it and that I could not wait til this coming weekend to slice up some pastrami I was going to smoke.