PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for cooking turkey on A Large BGE?

ralphyboy
11-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Just picked up a Large BGE on monday, have played with it a little. I have a 14# natural turkey. My plans is to brine tonight, pull it out by 10am, rince and let dry. stuff the cavity with my usual spices, citrus, apples and such. Doing a butter/rub paste on the skin and under at the breast. From what I am reading, looks like cook temps are areound 325 deg. To a breast temp of 160 and 180 at the thigh and then let rest for a bit before serving... Is there anything I have to look out for with the BGE?
-RB

Midnight Smoke
11-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Sounds like you have the plan! Look out for some real good Turkey! :thumb:

Do not use too much wood for smoke. A little goes a long way with Poultry.

Ron_L
11-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a plan!

Have you done a fit test? It might not be a bad idea to put the platesetter in and whatever pan you are going to use and the bird to make sure that it all fits. My roasting pan just barely fits into my large.

Norcoredneck
11-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Two words..
Mad Max
http://www.youtube.com/user/fredsmusicandbbq#p/u/35/wgyT5KVN67U

JD McGee
11-24-2010, 07:27 PM
One more word..."burp (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm)"...:becky:

rlt
11-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Sounds like you have a fine battle plan sir. But I do have one thing, be prepared to become a member of BGE anonymous. I cooked my turkey on it a while ago, and ever since my family doesn't want anyone else to cook the turkey or anything else for that matter. It seems as if everything has to be cooked on the BGE. Not that I am complaining. The first step is to admit you have a problem. Which I don't. Good luck. Cheers
Bobby

lionhrt
11-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Other than what you have already planned my best advise would be invite me over to give it an honest taste test :-D

ralphyboy
11-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Great Thanks guys! I picked up a little green apple to use... Also, I am planing on using my v roaster rack over an aluminum pan, is this a good idea?

Midnight Smoke
11-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Great Thanks guys! I picked up a little green apple to use... Also, I am planing on using my v roaster rack over an aluminum pan, is this a good idea?

It will be fine. For me, I put the bird right on the cooking grate with a drip pan under it. Just a pain to clean up that rack and pan.

ralphyboy
11-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Terry,
Do you put you drip pan right on the plate setter?
-RB

Fatmike
11-25-2010, 01:24 AM
I use the little green feet to elevate the drip pan off the placesetter to let an air gap so the drippings don't burn. I have a metal pan tho. If a aluminum foil pan then I would use several balls of tinfoil then set the foil pan on to provide the air space and keep the bird stable.

ralphyboy
11-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Good Advice Mike, THanks!

jafolkerts
11-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Speaking from the experience of almost canceling last year's Thanksgiving turkey last year on my maiden BGE cook: make sure your temp stabilizes before throwing the bird on. It's far easier to slowly bring the temp up than battle it at 500* and attempting to bring the temp back down to 325. If your lump pieces are smaller than a golf ball, make sure you keep the lower grid free from ash or your fire will snuff itself out. Good luck!

-Joel