PDA

View Full Version : So I went to see the WSM 22.5 in person

Mat
11-24-2010, 01:29 AM
and boy is that one BAS (big ass smoker).

I was pretty shocked when I walked into the store. A local place carries them and had a floor model so I decided to take a ride. They had it side by side with the 18.5. The 18.5 is a great size, but it is just a bit too small if I had a few people over. I just couldnt believe the size difference 4 inches makes in the unit.

I didnt know what to do; kinda just froze and walked out. I know I will end up just getting it, just wasn't prepared for what I saw. Kinda like seeing a UFO. :shock:

mikeTRON
11-24-2010, 01:50 AM
Yeah it's pretty amazing how much more room 4" gives you. That being said I have smoked for 20 people on my 18.5" smoker and could have been more creative to fit more meat in the smoker too.

Get the 18.5 since its $220 shipped then build a UDS!

Thats what I did and will do :thumb:

baldbill
11-24-2010, 02:16 AM
"I just couldnt believe the size difference 4 inches makes in the unit."

lol, thats what she said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,off to the woodpile, couldn't help myself on that one:oops:

Bartstop
11-24-2010, 04:43 AM
This is why I opted for the 22". Full slabs and full packers fit nicely.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3909/imag0130p.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4831/imag01880.jpg

pogo
11-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah it's pretty amazing how much more room 4" gives you. That being said I have smoked for 20 people on my 18.5" smoker and could have been more creative to fit more meat in the smoker too.

Get the 18.5 since its $220 shipped then build a UDS!

Thats what I did and will do :thumb:

Where can you find the 18.5 for $220?

J_Don
11-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Bought my 22" WSM mainly because of my 22" Kettles and I'm glad I did. Usually when I cook, I cook a lot of different things and I enjoy the extra versatality. Can't go wrong with either one.

Phubar
11-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Yep,that sucker is big!

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad239/RoyzRoyz/Steak%20Out%20For%20Tasty%20Birds/S6002448.jpg

Big_T_BBQ
11-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I had the same reaction - I thought it'd be a wider version of the 18.5 but it's a beast

SCBBQBill
11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Just think of the possibilities....

Each of the butts here were 8-12 lbs and there's SIX on my 22" WSM...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/scwildbill/BBQ%20Pics/DSCN1445.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/scwildbill/BBQ%20Pics/DSCN1448.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/scwildbill/BBQ%20Pics/DSCN1466.jpg

Mat
11-24-2010, 05:00 PM
SCBBQ that is an amazing picture.

Also BarStop, can you explain the foil? Is it just put on the second grill to make clean up easier if not using the second grill? If so, what do you do if you're using both grills?

And you cant cook two different meats at the same time right? Bc the top would drip on the bottom?

Chef Country
11-24-2010, 05:21 PM
i dont see spending 400 on a weber smoker when you can build a UDS for under 100 JMHO

toadhunter911
11-24-2010, 06:07 PM
i dont see spending 400 on a weber smoker when you can build a UDS for under 100 JMHO

Not everyone has fabrication skills...:heh:

RICK Allen
11-24-2010, 06:14 PM
The one in the background seems a might bigger:confused:

Bartstop
11-24-2010, 07:52 PM
SCBBQ that is an amazing picture.

Also BarStop, can you explain the foil? Is it just put on the second grill to make clean up easier if not using the second grill? If so, what do you do if you're using both grills?

And you cant cook two different meats at the same time right? Bc the top would drip on the bottom?

I use sand instead of water in the pan so I cover it with foil to keep the drippings out. I don't see any reason why you couldn't cook 2 different kinds of meat at the same time. Would pork fat dripping on your brisket be such a bad thing? I think not! LOL.

I had a New Braunfels offset before I bought my WSM. I'm still shocked at the difference in temp control. The offset was a constant fight to maintain the temps. Now that I have my WSM, I keep a close eye on it for the first hour or so but once you get it dialed in, it will chug along for hours and hours without laying a finger on it. It has revolutionized my BBQ. (and added 20lbs to my belly, no joke)

This is where I bought mine.

http://www.aimtofind.com/grills-and-smokers/barbecue-smokers/weber-22-5-inch-smokey-mountain-cooker-pn-731001-2011-model.html

Dave

Bartstop
11-24-2010, 08:05 PM

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but a 1975 Ford Pinto would get me to and from work a lot cheaper than my '05 Ram. But is it really worth the savings? Know what I mean? To me the WSM was worth the extra $$.

Dave

CUTigerQ
11-24-2010, 08:30 PM

I have a wSM and a UDS and there is no comparison. The WSM is worth every dime my wife spent to buy me mine. Holds temps like a dream. I dont have to babysit it at all.

lionhrt
11-24-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but a 1975 Ford Pinto would get me to and from work a lot cheaper than my '05 Ram. But is it really worth the savings? Know what I mean? To me the WSM was worth the extra $$.

Dave

I don`t know Barstop I have same cooking space as the WSM and use WAY less fuel and have never been disappointed with any of the food that came off my "pinto" and the money that was saved is stashed to go on an extra large egg some day. But everyone likes what they like I am one of the cheap S.O.B`s.

Dave Russell
11-25-2010, 05:16 AM
The UDS and the big WSM are really two different smokers altogether if you think about it. I've got a UDS and I'm making a second one, but it won't last NEAR as long as my little wsm.

Also, if you set up a UDS w/ a diffuser to eliminate all the fat in the fire, I'd think it would use just as much and probably more fuel than a big WSM.

Oh, and think twice before trying to put a door on a UDS to tend to the coals. I know, you're not supposed to need one and all, but if using a diffuser, they'll use a lot more charcoal and wood in a cook. Also, I like my door on my wsm to check out what's going on w/ my bottom rack meat w/out taking the lid off.

That all being said, yeah, the UDS is cheap, and a great cooker, especially for a bunch of chicken, and ribs too, if you're fast in tending to 'em.

gnwes
11-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Dave
to each his own i suppose :laugh:

Bluesman
11-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Started smoking on my Weber Performer. Wife bought me a 22.5 WSM and then I built my UDS. I have never regretted the WSM or the drum. It's nice to have all three. Creativity in cooking is were all the fun is. IMHO:-D

nrok2118
11-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Ive only got a baby wsm, so I built a UDS to be my "large" smoker. Its great especially for higher heat ranges, but I still think it may be worth it to save up and get the big boy WSM. After seeing what you can fit on a 22.5 rack compared to the 18.5....It would be heaven using that space with the control of the WSM.

Rich Parker
11-25-2010, 10:17 AM
The UDS and the big WSM are really two different smokers altogether if you think about it. I've got a UDS and I'm making a second one, but it won't last NEAR as long as my little wsm.

Also, if you set up a UDS w/ a diffuser to eliminate all the fat in the fire, I'd think it would use just as much and probably more fuel than a big WSM.

Oh, and think twice before trying to put a door on a UDS to tend to the coals. I know, you're not supposed to need one and all, but if using a diffuser, they'll use a lot more charcoal and wood in a cook. Also, I like my door on my wsm to check out what's going on w/ my bottom rack meat w/out taking the lid off.

That all being said, yeah, the UDS is cheap, and a great cooker, especially for a bunch of chicken, and ribs too, if you're fast in tending to 'em.

I own both and think they are both great cookers. I use a diffuser in my drum, because i don't like the smell of burnt grease but have never had to add fuel during a cook. I have never had to add fuel to my wsm either. :confused:

Mat
11-25-2010, 10:29 AM
I get the whole UDS thing, but I dont have the time to build one. I know its pretty easy to do and cheap but there are 100 other things I need to do around the new house. Plus, the weber is just badass. And since I'm new to smoking, I'd rather go with the unit that is easiest to use so I dont get turned off from Q'in because I have poor equipment.