PDA

View Full Version : Awesome turkey cooking idea or duh!!! ?

AUradar
11-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I smoked three turkeys this week. I ran a string around the whole turkey where the wings are to keep the wings in close. I would have tied the drums together but instead kept the plastic thingy in place that came on the turkey. I then ran a string from that legs to the one around the whole turkey. This tightened up the turkey into a tighter ball, but also gave a nice "handle" that could be used to pick the turkey up when putting in the drum, rearrangeing, and removing.

So my brilliant ideal is the handle. Or is this a "duh!!!!" thing that I finally discovered?

Teleking
11-22-2010, 09:31 AM
instead kept the plastic thingy in place that came on the turkey.

mmmmmm melted plastic:shock:

thomasjurisd
11-22-2010, 09:43 AM
I think its fine. Personally I take the plastic handle off but it is designed to withstand high temperatures. Occasionally you will get a metal one though...

polishdon
11-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Yeah I'm not a fan of melted plastic in my birds, but to each their own.

Bonewagon
11-22-2010, 09:50 AM
I usually remove the plastic handle off, but the package on the last turkey I cooked said the handle is safe to 500°.

KnucklHed BBQ
11-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Umm, the plastic thing is meant to be left on while cooking... I've never seen one melt.

Sounds like a good idea, I personally like to tuck the wing tip into the elbow joint of the bird, which actually pulls the wing away from the breast, I think it allows the breast to cook more evenly, but the downside is I don't get a handle on mine... :doh::tsk:

HandsomeSwede
11-22-2010, 09:54 AM
"Safe" to 500 means it won't melt. However, it will be seasoning the cavity with BPA ...yum.

Teleking
11-22-2010, 09:59 AM
To be honest I never read the package for such information that its oven safe. Also how does one stuff a bird with the legs tied shut?

Cheers

HandsomeSwede
11-22-2010, 12:08 PM
BPA is the coating that makes these plastics "food safe," which simply means they do not exceed FDA requirements for degradation when in contact with ingredients. A recent study examined store bought foods and found 60% contained BPA, including fresh turkey. There is no explanation for where the BPA levels in the turkey came from. Any guesses?

http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Safety/chemical/bisphenol_a_in_food_containers_unsafe_for_infants_ 1701100204.html

BBQ Grail
11-22-2010, 12:10 PM
BPA is the coating that makes these plastics "food safe," which simply means they do not exceed FDA requirements for degradation when in contact with ingredients. A recent study examined store bought foods and found 60% contained BPA, including fresh turkey. There is no explanation for where the BPA levels in the turkey came from. Any guesses?

http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Safety/chemical/bisphenol_a_in_food_containers_unsafe_for_infants_ 1701100204.html

Yeah, that's why I get mine galvanized!

bigabyte
11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
MSG neutralizes BPA. Just saying...

HandsomeSwede
11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
MSG neutralizes BPA. Just saying...

I actually had heard that. Might as well go for the trinity; stuff the cavity of the bird and have a nice BPA, MSG & salmonella cocktail.