PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving ABT's?

MoGreen
11-22-2010, 08:23 AM
I am making some ABT's for Thanksgiving. My Father-In-Law absolutely loves them. But my wife bought some monster jalepenos... the biggest I've ever seen. I don't normally cut mine in half to stuff, but if I don't, these things will just be too darn big. So it looks like I'm gonna have a bunch left over, and I was thinking about stuffing them with the leftover bird and dressing after Thanksgiving. I may have to add more moisture to the dressing in order to keep it moist. Anybody ever try this? Any thoughts?

Louisiana Smoker
11-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Made some this weekend. Kind of pregaming to Thanksgiving. Soaked the japs in sprite Saturday night and sunday I stuffed the japs with turkey, cranberry sauce, mozzarella cheese and wrapped in bacon. Didn't have any dressing made yet but the combination of the spicy jap with the sweet cranberry was yummy

codger
11-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Question, how does the soaking in sprite affect them? I've never heard of it.

likeadeere
11-22-2010, 12:08 PM
wow, you soaked them in sprite? did that make them tender? I know making them sweet is always a good idea.

Divemaster
11-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Question, how does the soaking in sprite affect them? I've never heard of it.

wow, you soaked them in sprite? did that make them tender? I know making them sweet is always a good idea.
Soaking the peppers helps remove a fair amount of the heat

As for what to do with the leftovers, I normally make up-wards of 30 dozen at a time. I prepare them and put them onto a sheet pan and freeze them (uncooked). Once frozen, I cryo-suck them 2 dozen to a package and return them to the freezer.

When I need them, I put them on a pizza pan and smoke them as normal.

Louisiana Smoker
11-22-2010, 03:24 PM
yep, what he said. Sprite or any other lemon lime beverage works. I buy the cheap stuff from the store. Cut the tops off, toss them in a zip lock bag and fill with Sprite. Refrigerate overnight and its ready to become an ABT